Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Womens World Cup Final penalty shoot-out

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
A thoroughly enjoyable game. I've seen worse penalty shootouts - I'm not quite sure what you mean.

That seems to be one heck of a trophy being carried onto the pitch. Half a gigantic disco ball.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
That was easily the best women's game I've seen, that first USA and the second Japanese goals were fantastic.

Now more women are getting to play the game, and in countries like Germany they can get the punters out in such numbers, it's all looking good...

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
good game and a good result for Japan and its people

I do still find the womens shooting a bit limp, but a great improvement on a few years ago

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
good game and a good result for Japan and its people

I do still find the womens shooting a bit limp, but a great improvement on a few years ago

Check out Abby Wambach's first half shot that cannoned off the bar and Alex Morgan's goal. Both great strikes of the ball.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Mein gott in Himmel! What a dramarama! I only switched on and caught the last ten minutes of the match - Japan's late goal, red card and the Yanks missing their first three pens. As Kevin Keegan would say "I love it when the USA lose. LOVE IT!!" especially when they must have thought they were home and dry.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
didn't really follow this world cup but did notice the stadiums seemed pretty full.

dunno if many people on here followed the asia cup in Qatar? Truly pathetic attendances.

Feb 2, 2007
Japan
This is front page news in Japan. First time for any team from here to win a FIFA tournament. I think they were fantastic and the quality of women's football has really improved in general, I think. Just check out Nahomi Kawasumi's second goal against Sweden in the semis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2iUu51uKaw

You won't see many men score a goal like that, never mind a woman

northernblue

Nov 24, 2010
Nice!! Great tekkers!! Good to see someone other than USA and Germany win the womens world cup!! You do see some great goals to be fair to them but the goalkeeping is still laughable and needs to be improves to get a bit more respect!!

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
You do see some great goals to be fair to them but the goalkeeping is still laughable and needs to be improves to get a bit more respect!!

I do think goalkeeping is the remaining weak area generally, though I didn't think it showed last night. I'm not sure any men would have saved that first US goal either, it was a bullet. Anyone who remembers the highlights from Scotland during the 70s will know that it is possible to fix - the goalkeeping used to be appalling but is fine now. The more attention it gets, the more girls will play, I'm sure they'll fix the goalkeeping.

I thought last night was one of the first times that it was almost irrelevant that it was a women's game, it was simply an excellent match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here