Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women’s football, do you watch it?

Women’s football, do you watch it?

• Yes, love it

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 154 65.5%
  • Dip in and out

Votes: 67 28.5%

• Total voters

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He is 200% trolling and only looking to wind up people.

This.

Only a complete moron would seriously advocate women competing directly against men in a contact sport. Imagine Nikita Parris (5'4, 54kg) getting wiped out by Kurt Zouma (6'3, 95kg) in a game. That wouldn't be a foul - it would be a massacre. They'd need three stretchers just to collect up all the bits.

And thats just football. Can you imagine women vs men in rugby ??

[MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] is either on a wind-up, or may actually need some help here.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Nope. Might have dipped in by now if not for being annoyed at the clickbait shit I regularly see posted by club and other media but that puts me off even more.

If someday have a daughter who’s interested I would be supportive of an interest for sure, but would still suggest she also watches/follows local non-league or the Brighton youth teams in addition to main side and the women’s.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
This.

Only a complete moron would seriously advocate women competing directly against men in a contact sport. Imagine Nikita Parris (5'4, 54kg) getting wiped out by Kurt Zouma (6'3, 95kg) in a game. That wouldn't be a foul - it would be a massacre. They'd need three stretchers just to collect up all the bits.

And thats just football. Can you imagine women vs men in rugby ??

[MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION] is either on a wind-up, or may actually need some help here.

Maybe you need some help. Once you have put your pearls down I suggest you write to your local MP with respect to women in the armed forces, police, fire service etc.

In the armed forces and police context they ARE competing with men in the most visceral contact sport there is, I.e life…….there are no rules on “contact” in there chosen careers. You are patronising women who put their lives on the line for us every day, women like Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone. If they can be expected to die in the line of duty in their career in the police or army, they can bloody well play football (and other sports) with men.

If you are really worried then maybe the rules of football must change sufficiently to ensure player safety (including women in a mixed gender sport). This is no big deal, the rules of football have changed over the years and have been accommodated, this change would be no different.

Rugby are looking at their sport to reduce concussion, football similarly with heading, there is nothing to say the rules today will stay the same as they are now, and if there is to be less contact in sports for safety reasons that is the perfect opportunity to accommodate professional women footballers etc.

What’s more, if you really want Nikita Paris to operate at the top end of football, with the earning potential to match, then this is the best way. Segregation is not going to do it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Maybe you need some help. Once you have put your pearls down I suggest you write to your local MP with respect to women in the armed forces, police, fire service etc.

In the armed forces and police context they ARE competing with men in the most visceral contact sport there is, I.e life…….there are no rules on “contact” in there chosen careers. You are patronising women who put their lives on the line for us every day, women like Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone. If they can be expected to die in the line of duty in their career in the police or army, they can bloody well play football (and other sports) with men.

If you are really worried then maybe the rules of football must change sufficiently to ensure player safety (including women in a mixed gender sport). This is no big deal, the rules of football have changed over the years and have been accommodated, this change would be no different.

Rugby are looking at their sport to reduce concussion, football similarly with heading, there is nothing to say the rules today will stay the same as they are now, and if there is to be less contact in sports for safety reasons that is the perfect opportunity to accommodate professional women footballers etc.

What’s more, if you really want Nikita Paris to operate at the top end of football, with the earning potential to match, then this is the best way. Segregation is not going to do it.

Why be selective and only look at football and rugby ? Should press ahead with all sports - possibly starting with the Olympics…..:shrug:

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Philosophically yes, but it’s too radical……..…the physical aspects won’t and can’t be equalised. Any top WSL striker trying to head a corner would be easily cleaned out by a L2 CB every single time because the CB will be 6” taller and 30kg heavier, women can’t sprint as fast (fact) etc etc. You also couldn’t have a quota of women in a game dominated by men - they’d still come up against each other in 1-1 situations. A female artillery soldier with a gun has evened up the odds somewhat with a male opponent. I watch a lot of live mens and womens football……the women in T2 couldn’t cope physically with men in T6 or 7

Why are you referencing women serving in the RA, cut to the chase and reference women in the front line, in infantry units. Literally in the front line in roles required to close with the enemy, with hand to hand combat a genuine reality. In short that means women fighting with men perhaps to the death.

You may be struggling with the concept but you are really not keeping up with the times, women that pass the necessary tests (including for special forces) have been in front line infantry units with the same expectations as male comrades as of 2016.

In order to provide genuine equal opportunity and break structural patriarchal frameworks the FA and other sporting authorities like the RFU should be compelled to learn from the MoD analysis and put minimum tests in place for women. If some rules in the game need to change for safety reasons so be it.

It may appear radical to the misogynists on here that want to find obstacles to the advancement of women in sport. Like the men on here that will happily patronise women’s football whilst happily finding reasons to segregate them from the riches of the men’s game.

I suspect it’s generational and hopefully these toxic boomer attitudes will die off soon.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Why be selective and only look at football and rugby ? Should press ahead with all sports - possibly starting with the Olympics…..:shrug:

Where am I being selective?

All sports, including Team sports………team sports need quotas for women to break the long standing patriarchal structures.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

You are obsessively conflating careers in the armed forces and front-line public services, with sport. Sport is not armed conflict - it's just an entertainment industry, ie not life-or-death. If a woman wishes to sign up for the armed forces and passes all the female-orientated assessments, training, tests etc to carry a gun on behalf of her country in the theatre of war then of course she is fully entitled to. But cricually - we're not paying to "watch" that are we, its not for our entertainment. If the army deem she's up to the job to defend her country then there is no reason why there should be anything to stop her. But she's doing it to serve her country, not to entertain people.

Anyway, you're clearly not having it that football or rugby teams can't be mixed despite the dangerous physical mismatches it would throw into the game (for our "entertainment"), fundamentally altering it forever. So lets take another instance. Would you pay to go and watch our female Olympic Champion Nicola Adams take on Tyson Fury ? Does she have just as much right to step into the ring against a man ?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Interestingly, and this is going off on another tangent, there was an article written by Brian Moore recently suggesting that the Red Roses (England women's rugby) may benefit from "consideration" of training with or matches against men.

The problem that the Red Roses are so dominant at the moment, that there are not enough female teams that can give them a decent match. I can understand how managed training sessions against the U20's may actually benefit both teams.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't watch it but I probably only watch one game of men's football a week now anyway.

My lack of viewing is in no way representative of my view of the game. The development in the women's game in such a short period of time is frankly astounding. When you consider where the sport was in the 90's it's an amazing rise.

I'm 'relatively' young. 35. We had ONE girl who wanted (or at least stated her desire) to play football after school.

Fast forward Saturday mornings and there are girls training sessions everywhere, ranging right through from 6-7 to about 15. Brilliant to see.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are obsessively conflating careers in the armed forces and front-line public services, with sport. Sport is not armed conflict - it's just an entertainment industry, ie not life-or-death. If a woman wishes to sign up for the armed forces and passes all the female-orientated assessments, training, tests etc to carry a gun on behalf of her country in the theatre of war then of course she is fully entitled to. But cricually - we're not paying to "watch" that are we, its not for our entertainment. If the army deem she's up to the job to defend her country then there is no reason why there should be anything to stop her. But she's doing it to serve her country, not to entertain people.

Anyway, you're clearly not having it that football or rugby teams can't be mixed despite the dangerous physical mismatches it would throw into the game (for our "entertainment"), fundamentally altering it forever. So lets take another instance. Would you pay to go and watch our female Olympic Champion Nicola Adams take on Tyson Fury ? Does she have just as much right to step into the ring against a man ?

Boxing is maybe a poor example. CF could justifiably counter that boxers are segregated into weight classes, so whilst Adams could not be matched up against Fury, neither could a male boxer of her weight. His argument would be that she should be able to box against a male boxer of her own weight. Of course the difference in power would mean that she would be beaten (in all senses of the word) very easily, but that is what CF seems to think constitutes parity.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Boxing is maybe a poor example. CF could justifiably counter that boxers are segregated into weight classes, so whilst Adams could not be matched up against Fury, neither could a male boxer of her weight. His argument would be that she should be able to box against a male boxer of her own weight. Of course the difference in power would mean that she would be beaten (in all senses of the word) very easily, but that is what CF seems to think constitutes parity.

Indeed.

CF is comparing apples with oranges when saying because a woman can fight for her country / become a firefighter / police officer she should also be allowed to take part in male contact sports. Its a nonsense argument conflating war/conflict with sport. Commentators and the media often like to make military-like comparisons "you'd want him next to you in the trenches" etc - but only CF seems to think this should now be taken in a literal sense into mens contact sport.

I just wonder where all this would be heading in CF's brave new sporting world. Mixed Olympic sports, where males/females compete against each other ? That'd be fun eh.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed.

CF is comparing apples with oranges when saying because a woman can fight for her country / become a firefighter / police officer she should also be allowed to take part in male contact sports. Its a nonsense argument conflating war/conflict with sport. Commentators and the media often like to make military-like comparisons "you'd want him next to you in the trenches" etc - but only CF seems to think this should now be taken in a literal sense into mens contact sport.

I just wonder where all this would be heading in CF's brave new sporting world. Mixed Olympic sports, where males/females compete against each other ? That'd be fun eh.

As CF has decreed that natural / inherent physical disparities are no bar to integrated competition (and any separation is 'patronising') it must also surely follow that there is no justification to continue with any classes of disability sport?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Indeed.

At the Tokyo Olympics they introduced the mixed relay. The visual performance gap shows how nonsensical the All v All argument is.

https://youtu.be/Ye2wK3ClvO4

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
At the Tokyo Olympics they introduced the mixed relay. The visual performance gap shows how nonsensical the All v All argument is.

https://youtu.be/Ye2wK3ClvO4

It was an amazing event to watch but I did wonder whilst watching it whether actually it was doing more harm than good.

Even the female commentator was saying things along the lines of "this is going to be hard for her here up against the men".

Rather than appreciating how BRILLIANT the female swimmers are in their own right they were simply seen as "uh oh, this is one of the weaker legs before the men take over".

I suppose if the athletes themselves don't feel like that then fair enough, but I thought it was a brilliant to watch, but odd event for that reason.

Maybe i'm a snowflake.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
What are you benchmarking your standard against to arrive at "appalling". The mens Premier League? Of course it is going to be of a lower standard. Do you benchmark Raducanu against Nadal? Do you benchmark Savannah Marshall against Golovkin?

The English Roses are absolute standouts in world rugby. Why? Because we have 30 fulltime professionals which no other country has. They are strolling through the six nations but they are never going to beat a top Premiership mens team.

Just because the standard is lower it doesn't necessarily mean that games aren't competetive and exciting. Nobody goes to watch a county league side expecting to get the same standard that you see in the EPL.

I don't make an effort to watch county league sides either. Clearly you don't make an effort to read and take in posts otherwise you would've read that I do watch women play other sports where the standard is higher, and tennis was included.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
No. I can’t enthuse myself about it, and I don’t fully understand why. When our U23s are being shown on YouTube I try and watch, and I don’t think I have any hidden misogyny in me, yet I just don’t feel a connection between myself and the women’s team.

I wish them well, and I assume somebody’s watching them, but I can’t envisage a day where that person is me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why are they saying Ellen White has now moved above Bobby Charlton and Harry Kane in the all-time England scoring records ? She got her 50th tonight in another 10-0 win (woohoo!), but are we seriously mixing up the men and womens scoring records at International level now ?

England have a goal difference of 63-0 from 7 qualifying games in their group. Well done Ellen and all that, but I'm not entirely sure I can seriously see you sandwiched between Rooney and Kane/Charlton in the scoring charts.

Come on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here