[Football] Women's Euro 2022 Final- England v Germany 31.07.2022- OFFICIAL THREAD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Might have been. But after 56 years the men have proved incapable of bringing it home and choked last year. The women are clearly made of stronger, sterner stuff. No shame in that lads!

Bit of perspective. Some women in the England squad earn in a year what the chokers in last year's final earn in a week.

Football has come home. And it belongs to the roaring Lionesses.

Totally agree.

What's pretty funny is reading comments from people who seem somehow threatened by this victory and its possible implications for the game as a whole... the whole 'the two disciplines are separate and should stay that way etc.' the old 'that's our song, it's our game...' 'this doesn't count, it's not the same game...' lol, give me a break.

It's like a bunch of lads crying because they've just had their ball stolen by the big girls down the park... "give us our ball back, or we'll get our big brother's on you..." ffs. Well we've had it for about 60 years and done nowt with it, maybe we could learn something from these women... ?

Why are people working so hard to claim it's all bollocks, it's all an irrelevance - that it'll simply go away .. ..

Simple really - they're threatened by it.

I say bring it on and applaud the media for giving the ladies the coverage they deserve.

You want the same lads? then ****ing win something, and do it with grace.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Totally agree.

What's pretty funny is reading comments from people who seem somehow threatened by this victory and its possible implications for the game as a whole... the whole 'the two disciplines are separate and should stay that way etc.' the old 'that's our song, it's our game...' 'this doesn't count, it's not the same game...' lol, give me a break.

It's like a bunch of lads crying because they've just had their ball stolen by the big girls down the park... "give us our ball back, or we'll get our big brother's on you..." ffs. Well we've had it for about 60 years and done nowt with it, maybe we could learn something from these women... ?

Why are people working so hard to claim it's all bollocks, it's all an irrelevance - that it'll simply go away .. ..

I say bring it on and applaud the media for giving the ladies the coverage they deserve.

It seems to me that everyone on here has praised the result and seem genuinely pleased. I think it’s a big step for women’s football and I hope it keeps its momentum. I suspect it may die down but hope it lasts.

But we all know that if it had been the men’s team that had won the tournament last night, the nation would have been 100 X more excited. It would have been crazy. That’s not a Man Vs Woman thing, which you seem to be determined to turn this into. It’s a football thing.

Enjoy the win, it’s not often an England team win anything. Your men v women agenda is the antithesis of what this was all about.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally agree.

Bravo.

If the stuffed shirts of the FA hadn’t banned women’s football in 1921, they could’ve done this a lot sooner. As I said previously, crowds od 50,000 used to watch them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How depressing some have turned this into a battle of the sexes. Unfortunately that is what some people’s idea of female empowerment is, some kind of revenge on men. Which is why we make little progress.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It seems to me that everyone on here has praised the result and seem genuinely pleased. I think it’s a big step for women’s football and I hope it keeps its momentum. I suspect it may die down but hope it lasts.

But we all know that if it had been the men’s team that had won the tournament last night, the nation would have been 100 X more excited. It would have been crazy. That’s not a Man Vs Woman thing, which you seem to be determined to turn this into. It’s a football thing.

Enjoy the win, it’s not often an England team win anything. Your men v women agenda is the antithesis of what this was all about.

I’d say there’s been a lot of damning with faint praise and patronising ‘well done girls’ pats on the head amongst the genuine comments and delight... I’m not proffering a generalist men vs women agenda, but I am clearly stating - that I find the current men’s international stage ugly, unpalatable, bloated and chock full of colossal dicks.

This is a moment that I hope will signal positive change, and I say thank God for that. Anyone who finds that hard to accept is in denial frankly, and I say again threatened by the exploits of this England team.

Sex is irrelevant, attitude however, means everything to me.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’d say there’s been a lot of damning with faint praise and patronising ‘well done girls’ pats on the head amongst the genuine comments and delight... I’m not proffering a generalist men vs women agenda, but I am clearly stating - that I find the current men’s international stage ugly, unpalatable, bloated and chock full of colossal dicks.

This is a moment that I hope will signal positive change, and I say thank God for that. Anyone who finds that hard to accept is in denial frankly and I say again threatened by the exploits of this England team.

Sex is irrelevant, attitude however means everything to me.

I think you are determined to find fault, whether people are praising or commenting.

I think it’s a brilliant result. That’s not faint praise. It’s praise.

I’m sceptical that momentum will continue.

I think people need to go and see club level women’s football to make foundational change.

That’s a a perfectly valid opinion.

I don’t think woman’s football is as skilful or as exciting as the men’s game.

You say you think sex is irrelevant but the remarks in your post come across differently. Nobody is “finding it hard to accept”. Stop looking for a struggle on here, there isn’t one.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Let's just celebrate this.

We have been in the top four in the last four major tournaments. Only Sweden & France come vaguely close. No other country.

And in the last two tournaments, both teams have gone a step further (or more) than in the previous tournament.

What's not to like??

Mens World Cup 2018 - France / Croatia / Belgium / England
Womens World Cup 2019 - USA / Netherlands / Sweden / England
Mens Euros 2021 - Italy / England / Denmark & Spain
Womens Euros 2022 - England / Germany / Sweden & France

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
How depressing some have turned this into a battle of the sexes. Unfortunately that is what some people’s idea of female empowerment is, some kind of revenge on men. Which is why we make little progress.

Hmmmmm me thinks the man doth protest too much.

Honestly what are you twittering on about ? This is about equality and giving women’s football a chance, not some empowerment mad, placard brandishing lynch-mob teetering on storming the FA HQ and crucifying the stuffed suits live on bbc 1.

HD no less.

Lol.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I'm just thinking that the sheer WHITENESS of the team suggests there's a WAY more important level of engagement still to go. Still, one small step at a time eh?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hmmmmm me thinks the man doth protest too much.

Honestly what are you twittering on about ? This is about equality and giving women’s football a chance, not some empowerment mad, placard brandishing lynch-mob teetering on storming the FA HQ and crucifying the stuffed suits live on bbc 1.

HD no less.

Lol.

Nice U-Turn.

Perhaps just enjoy the win and stop trying to turn this into some struggle for equality.

And I’m not “twittering”. The word is “wittering”.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did I enjoy the tournament and the win for the Lionesses yesterday ? Absolutely, very much so.

Would I swap yesterdays win for the Lionesses for the England mens team to have beaten Italy in last summers Euros Final ? In a HEARTBEAT.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Nice U-Turn.

Perhaps just enjoy the win and stop trying to turn this into some struggle for equality.

And I’m not “twittering”. The word is “wittering”.

Lol... I was going for twattering.

Hmmmm not sure I’ve u-turned anywhere... however your tone has gone all late 60s songwriter comeback album ... you seem to have lost your earlier bombast.

Probs best consigned to history I guess, it’s not aged well.

Twittering.

I still think you’re threatened.

And not just by the England women’s team.

;)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm glad the women are better at football than singing, blimey the dog run off to the bedroom, paws in her ears

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lol... I was going for twattering.

Hmmmm not sure I’ve u-turned anywhere... however your tone has gone all late 60s songwriter comeback album ... you seem to have lost your earlier bombast.

Probs best consigned to history I guess, it’s not aged well.

Twittering.

I still think you’re threatened.

And not just by the England women’s team.

;)

You do your cause no favours. Just chill out and enjoy the win. It’s not a battle.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You do your cause no favours. Just chill out and enjoy the win. It’s not a battle.

I’m perplexed as to why you think it’s wrong to accentuate the positives and draw parallels with the men’s game and it’s obvious faults... that and to want to see the women’s game put on more of an equal footing ?!?

It’s patronising in the extreme to suggest people who were/are invested in it (the women’s game) should merely accept it for what it is - yeah mate, a decent result... but let’s move on... after all it’s only women’s football. . .

Or am I misreading your sentiments ? I’m not sure I am tbh... you’re saying it’s nice, but virtually meaningless as the status-quo will simply resume.

For me, we should be looking to invest more in the women’s game and give it the platform it clearly deserves.

It’s the attitude above, that’s it’s a transient fad, that I’m calling out, and I can’t fathom why you’d find fault with that?

And finally, I’m calling out the men’s discipline for what it is: ruined - by money and ‘product’.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m perplexed as to why you think it’s wrong to accentuate the positives and draw parallels with the men’s game and it’s obvious faults... that and to want to see the women’s game put on more of an equal footing ?!?

It’s patronising in the extreme to suggest people who were/are invested in it (the women’s game) should merely accept it for what it is - yeah mate, a decent result... but let’s move on... after all it’s only women’s football. . .

Or am I misreading your sentiments ? I’m not sure I am tbh... you’re saying it’s nice, but virtually meaningless as the status-quo will simply resume.

For me, we should be looking to invest more in the women’s game and give it the platform it clearly deserves.

It’s the attitude above, that’s it’s a transient fad, that I’m calling out, and I can’t fathom why you’d find fault with that?

And finally, I’m calling out the men’s discipline for what it is: ruined - by money and ‘product’.

I think I have made myself clear. And I think you are reading far too much into it. You clearly want to have a problem.

Great win, don’t get your hopes up. It’s called being realistic.

I hope women’s football goes from strength to strength.
I don’t think women have the interest in football that everyone imagines to make that happen.

Sorryif that’s not in line with the narrative. But I think it happens to be the truth.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
But as this competition has shown, there's no intrinsic reason why more men are drawn to team sports. It's a bit of a chicken and egg, we won't get more women watching domestic league or playing sports until it's seen as a women's thing too. And that would mean more sponsorship, more visibility and more opportunities.

As Silverhatch pointed out a few pages back, there's a difference between boys and girls who are good at sport. Boys who are good footballers are seen as pretty cool, part of the popular kids. Girls who play football (or cricket or rugby) are too often seen as freaks, as dykes, as not girly enough. It's this attitude that has to change - it's going to happen overnight but more money in women's sport will certainly help.

I don't think you can make any assumptions about the development of the women's game as a spectator sport from last night. Major championships and one-off events are different, you see it with Wimbledon where everyone is in to tennis for a couple of weeks of the year or when people watch certain sports only once every 4 years at the olympics.

I think to a certain extent you can also separate out the participation from the watching of sport. Most boys give up playing football and competitive sports when they go to secondary school and participation levels drop right off. Ive also met plenty of passionate football fans that were never interested in playing the game.

As a spectator sport Football is different to most other sports in that there is a pack mentality which I think is particularly appealing for men and keeps us tuning in and going week after week. Going to the football or watching down the pub is a social event as much as it is about the football, it gives Men an opportunity to get together and give us something to talk about. The Premiership earns huge revenue from Asia where this pack mentality exists even though they can't even physically attend the match!

We also make assumptions that it is desirable for Women to have the same level of fascination with team sports as men do. A lot of Men are sat at home with a can of Stella in their hand, wearing their teams expensive merchandise and paying through the nose for a subscription to every sports channel under the sun. This is what's makes the mens game so commercially successful.

In some ways I envy the fact that my wife doesn't need sports or supporting a team as a focal point, she just meets up with her friends for a coffee and they talk openly with each other for hours on end!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I think I have made myself clear. And I think you are reading far too much into it. You clearly want to have a problem.

Great win, don’t get your hopes up. It’s called being realistic.

I hope women’s football goes from strength to strength.
I don’t think women have the interest in football that everyone imagines to make that happen.

Sorryif that’s not in line with the narrative. But I think it happens to be the truth.

Should we not be asking men to watch women’s football too? Or does stretch the narrative to realms of pure fantasy ?

I guess we should end it there.

For the sake of sanity and for the sake of world peace.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Most boys give up playing football and competitive sports when they go to secondary school and participation levels drop right off.

They do but nothing like the same extent that girls do. I attended a seminar on girls in sport a few months ago and the drop-off rate among girls was stark. More than 40% of girls who described themselves as sporty at primary school had given up sport by the time they were 15 (that's a rate twice as high as boys.

And it's true that men use football as way of bonding (although this is not unique to football, try sitting in a Welsh pub on Saturday night after the local rugby team has played) but that's because that's been a long conditioned habit. There's no reason why women shouldn't do this too (and some do!), it's not necessarily the natural order of things. But, as I said, there are a whole load of things to change - it's hard to know where to start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports