Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wolf Hall

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Due to the absence of anything vaguely decent on tele last night I watched the second episode. I found it much better than the first an will keep watching. Glad I gave it a second chance.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
'Wolf Hall' and series 5 of the superb French crime drama 'Spiral' (along the lines of 'The Killing' - utterly bleak and gritty, and with a strong, workaholic, but emotionally dysfunctional, female cop leading the case) on Saturday nights.

These two dramas are worth the licence fee alone.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Having read both books and studied the History a bit, I find it really superb. I would sympathise with those who have come to it "cold" though - probably seems slow moving and hard to follow.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Wolf Hall just gets better and better.

Another utterly compelling and masterfully understated performance by Mark Rylance tonight, with some real flashes of menace. Damian Lewis as Henry VIII provides equally compelling viewing. But I love Norfolk -"I said nobody comes in! If I had a crossbow, I'd shoot your ****ing head off!"

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Myself and wife are absolutely loving this. Was a bit confused in first episode as to all the characters were but hit Thomas Cromwell on internet and read his story. Easy to follow now.
Great stuff.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I've read both books & seen the 1st 2 episodes. I'm not overly excited so far. & I'm not too keen on Henry viii actor.

But I will watch it through

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Found it dull, slow, boring and overhyped.

Gave up during the 2nd episode, just so little actually happened.

Great review on charlie brooker though

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Wolf Hall just gets better and better.

Another utterly compelling and masterfully understated performance by Mark Rylance tonight, with some real flashes of menace. Damian Lewis as Henry VIII provides equally compelling viewing. But I love Norfolk -"I said nobody comes in! If I had a crossbow, I'd shoot your ****ing head off!"

Rylance is stunning. He seems to do so little, but manages to convey so much in doing so. Menace is precisely the right word though for those terrifying slight adjustments in his expression.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All over.

Looking forward to seeing this drama collect the awards by the bucket load that it richly deserves.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC's Wolf Hall has been fantatstic throughout, led by the brilliant and very unique performances of Mark Rylance and Damian Lewis. Great casting. I'm so pleased that I made the effort to watch episode one, which got me hooked. (I've haven't read the novel, yet).

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I have been enjoying Wolf Hall, filming and acting are superb. I love the locations too.

Of course, The Tudors wasn't that long ago, which was a totally different series , faster pace, sex and executions.

Though last week I found it a bit difficult to watch, knowing the Anne Boleyn is going to come to a sorry end. As does our hero.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I thought the way they did all the stuff leading up to the execution of Anne Boleyn, and then the deed itself, was superb.

And agree with other comments about awards. Quite apart from acting, the locations, costumes, photography and lighting are all superb. Interesting interview with the director and Mark Rylance on BBC2 this evening, in which they said among other things that they insisted all the locations used were English, not going to Bruges and other places. And that they actually shot some scenes by candlelight.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Outstanding drama. It's no surprise to learn it's screenplay was penned by the same chap who wrote the screenplay for the Tinker Tailor remake.

The critisism that nothing happens is, in my opinion, way off the mark. Every conversation, every sentence uttered by Cromwell moves the story on , there is so much going on. I think people expect more swordplay and action from historical dramas but of course we all know the real power plays were made behind closed doors between influential characters and not so much on the battlefield. Henry had inherited a kingdom reeling from overseas and civil war, the last thing he wanted was to jeapordise the relatively stable England by going to war again.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Outstanding drama. It's no surprise to learn it's screenplay was penned by the same chap who wrote the screenplay for the Tinker Tailor remake.

The critisism that nothing happens is, in my opinion, way off the mark. Every conversation, every sentence uttered by Cromwell moves the story on , there is so much going on. I think people expect more swordplay and action from historical dramas but of course we all know the real power plays were made behind closed doors between influential characters and not so much on the battlefield. Henry had inherited a kingdom reeling from overseas and civil war, the last thing he wanted was to jeapordise the relatively stable England by going to war again.

It's precisely the scheming, the politicking and the Machiavellian ins and outs which have made it unmissable, resulting in having to do things that really go against the conscience - like Cromwell fabricating the case against Anne Boleyn and her lovers, and then having to embrace the King afterwards once the deed was done.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So, someone called Machiavelli is praising a programme about Renaissance skulduggery and an all-powerful and highly feared king. Can't think why :)

There are so many parallels between NM and TC. But that final scene summed it up. The delighted king -- the old man -- embraces the new man seething with anger for what he has to do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You're right about the fascination about the behind-the-scenes politicking and that we don't need battle scenes to make it exciting but England wasn't reeling from an overseas war: there hadn't been a foreign campaign for nearly 100 years. It was the possibility of civil strife that was exercising Cromwell's (and others) minds. Without a legitimate (male) heir, there was a strong probability of open warfare breaking out again. Although getting rid of Anne was clearing the way for Jane Seymour, it also broke up a particular faction at court

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You're right about the fascination about the behind-the-scenes politicking and that we don't need battle scenes to make it exciting but England wasn't reeling from an overseas war: there hadn't been a foreign campaign for nearly 100 years. It was the possibility of civil strife that was exercising Cromwell's (and others) minds. Without a legitimate (male) heir, there was a strong probability of open warfare breaking out again. Although getting rid of Anne was clearing the way for Jane Seymour, it also broke up a particular faction at court

Sorry, I phrased it wrong I should have said that Henry had inherited a country that had been at war and was enjoying an extended period of peace, a stable country that he was under pressure to maintain.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Brilliant series ! Mark Rylance has been superb, and I have a new respect for Damian Lewis after his portrayal of Henry. ...I have read that another series is "likely" ..but the author has not written it yet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here