Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wojciech Szczesny interview in the Guardian

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Interesting interview with the other Pole In Goal by Amy Lawrence, who also wrote the excellent piece on the Albion in Saturday's paper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/29/wojciech-szczesny-arsenal-defence

Thought there were a few interesting parallels with us, especially the stuff about what happens when the open, slick passing doesn't work out, leaving them outnumbered at the back and/or "playing with the handbrake on" as Wenger puts it.

It also helps to make sense of GP's tactics this season, playing two holding midfielders to reduce the risk of us ending up 4 v 6 at the back when we lose the ball and teams break quickly.

I know we're still a work in progress, but the game on Saturday and articles like this (even though it's not technically about us) feel like further reminders that we're on the right course.

And while I enjoyed the blood and thunder of the televised FA Cup games on Sunday, it makes me very happy that we've got more in common with Arsenal and Swansea these days than with Brentford and Oldham.

UTA! :bhasign: :clap:

P.S. Hope I spelled his name right - I copied and pasted it from the Guardian headline, but of course that's no guarantee...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I was massively disappointed by Szczesny. :down: Although, the last time I was disappointed with an opposing goalkeeper I thought would be fantastic, we signed him.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Interesting interview with the other Pole In Goal by Amy Lawrence, who also wrote the excellent piece on the Albion in Saturday's paper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/29/wojciech-szczesny-arsenal-defence

Thought there were a few interesting parallels with us, especially the stuff about what happens when the open, slick passing doesn't work out, leaving them outnumbered at the back and/or "playing with the handbrake on" as Wenger puts it.

It also helps to make sense of GP's tactics this season, playing two holding midfielders to reduce the risk of us ending up 4 v 6 at the back when we lose the ball and teams break quickly.

I know we're still a work in progress, but the game on Saturday and articles like this (even though it's not technically about us) feel like further reminders that we're on the right course.

And while I enjoyed the blood and thunder of the televised FA Cup games on Sunday, it makes me very happy that we've got more in common with Arsenal and Swansea these days than with Brentford and Oldham.

UTA! :bhasign: :clap:

P.S. Hope I spelled his name right - I copied and pasted it from the Guardian headline, but of course that's no guarantee...

But if you play one holding midfielder then it is 5 against 6 and let's be honest, how often do you see a team break away with 6 players!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here