Withnail & I

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now"

I've been guilty of occasionally saying this in restaurants, which is rarely* funny when I do it.

*for rarely, see never.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
"Which FCKER said that?"

"I did. And now I'm calling you one - PONCE!"

*gulp* "I don't know what my acquaintance has done to annoy you, but I can assure you, it's got nothing to do with me"

:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here and we want them now"

I've been guilty of occasionally saying this in restaurants, which is rarely* funny when I do it.

*for rarely, see never.

A mate of mine used to walk in to pubs and say "I demand to have some booze". Hadn't seen him for ages but we caught up at a birthday bash at the Fiddlers recently. Guess what we said when it was next round time :blush:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Much of the Tarantino dialogue is filler, not really enhancing the character nor advancing the plot (Royale with cheese; the tipping scene).

Withnail and Marwood's dialogue is that which spoken, in slightly manic tones, is straight from two manic characters. It rounds out the characters in a way that the above Tarantino scenes don't.

... is what I reckon.

Thats half the point. The fact that some of the conversations in Tarantino's films do nothing to advance the plot I think serves to fill the characters out even more, because thats how real people speak. Not everything in a film - in their lives - should be exclusively plot-driven, because thats not how life is. The chatty tangents Tarantino's characters go off on in their conversations just gives them a richer authenticity for me. And the scenes where two actors exchange a looong dialogue which IS to do with the plot, or setting up of a character (eg the opening to Inglorious Basterds) are so brilliantly written and performed you forget how long its going on for and just enjoy it.

...is what I reckon.

Oh gawd I've come over all Kermode. Eew.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Much of the Tarantino dialogue is filler, not really enhancing the character nor advancing the plot (Royale with cheese; the tipping scene).

Withnail and Marwood's dialogue is that which spoken, in slightly manic tones, is straight from two manic characters. It rounds out the characters in a way that the above Tarantino scenes don't.

... is what I reckon.

Marwood versus Tarantino. Really ? Are you taking something for your nerves at the moment ? What with the game tonight.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
This has the even a stopped clock quote in it I think?

That's the one. Also a few "Cool your boots, man" towards the end (I think - may be something else?). Vinatge Ride, slightly after their peak, but before they were rubbish.

A mate of mine used to walk in to pubs and say "I demand to have some booze". Hadn't seen him for ages but we caught up at a birthday bash at the Fiddlers recently. Guess what we said when it was next round time :blush:

I think we all know someone who trots out the "booze" or "finest wines" line in public. Can range from amusing to embarrassing, depending on personal circumstances.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Tarantino cannot hold a light to Bruce Robinson's writing on Waithnail. Tarantino is a derivative hack.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I did ask once. I think his main motivator would be to plug something when it comes out. I asked him when 'The Boat That Rocked' came out. Didn't get round to it in the end.

That's not to say I won't ask again.

Currently resides in New York so will also have to be on one of his sojourns back home.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Tarantino cannot hold a light to Bruce Robinson's writing on Waithnail. Tarantino is a derivative hack.

The thing is Nibble, Tarantino purposely trivialises conversations because of what's to come. You cannot tell me that the opening scene to Inglorious doesn't grab you by the balls either. Hack ? I don't think so. Robinson's follow up films after W & I - and whether you accuse me of moving the arguments on to his directional merits now - were both dross.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!

*for rarely, see never.

I have a similar problem.
I often ask people. Soup? Why didn't I get any soup? Even if they are clearly drinking coffee!
Again, this RARELY goes down well.

Fantastic film.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

To be fair to Mr Tarantino, he's never shied away from being derivative, and openly reveals and promotes his influences or 'who he has ripped off', quite happily admitting he's a bit of a nerd who just happens to meld together what he likes into something new.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The thing is Nibble, Tarantino purposely trivialises conversations because of what's to come. You cannot tell me that the opening scene to Inglorious doesn't grab you by the balls either. Hack ? I don't think so. Robinson's follow up films after W & I - and whether you accuse me of moving the arguments on to his directional merits now - were both dross.

Oh I agree Robinson only had one decent film in him. Luckily for us it was one of the best films ever made.

The opening scene to Basterds was quite good. He has some entertaining/riveting moments in his films but overall, for my money, he doesn't have half enough a good body of work to deserve his reputation. I thought Djano Unchained was hugely overrated, although when folks mess with the Western genre it rarely works out.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh I agree Robinson only had one decent film in him. Luckily for us it was one of the best films ever made.

The opening scene to Basterds was quite good. He has some entertaining/riveting moments in his films but overall, for my money, he doesn't have half enough a good body of work to deserve his reputation. I thought Djano Unchained was hugely overrated, although when folks mess with the Western genre it rarely works out.

The Killing Fields was an awesome film which he wrote the screenplay for.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Oh well maybe it's a directors debate I need. Django is overrated btw. Inglorious and Pulp Fiction, of course, are not.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh well maybe it's a directors debate I need. Django is overrated btw. Inglorious and Pulp Fiction, of course, are not.

Pulp Fiction is good and so is Basterds. I find his stuff fairly entertaining just overrated is all.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Pulp Fiction is good and so is Basterds. I find his stuff fairly entertaining just overrated is all.

He divides opinion that's for sure. Pulp Fiction blew me away when I first saw it though. Few films do that for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Big fan of Django myself, even if those fighters didn't actually exist back in the day. I always thought Inglorius was a bit silly to be honest. Pulp Fiction is Tarantino at this height of his powers, and Jackie Brown not far behind - PF will forever be considered an absolute masterpiece in my eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports