Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wiring a plug help

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
if unsure then get someone who knows what they are doing BUT if its a gas hob and oven, and the electric is just for the light and ignition then it is just a normal 13amp plug- we have just got a new gas oven and hob, with electric light and ignition and grill-normal plug is fine. If as others have said its an electric hob or oven then it needs hardwiring by a professional

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The original oven was set up with the plug socket when the kitchen was fitted a while ago. It's possible the plug socket is attached to its own breaker. My niece knows an electrician who is going to come over and have a look.

Are you still with us? :flameboun

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
bLue on the left, bRown on the right, and the other, earthy looking one in the middle. Eezy-peezy. Lost skills, eh?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The oven requires a 16 or 20A radial socket switched by a 20A double pole switch wired in 2.5 cable. If you have a 30A cooker switch as someone mentioned this is not suitable due to cable size.

Impossible to price on here as I don’t know the proximity to your CCU is the CCU adequate to house another circuit? Many variables call a local electrician for advice and a price.

As a general rule If the appliance doesn’t come with a 13A plug already installed by the manufacturer it’s not suitable for a 13A plug.

Hope this helps

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
if unsure then get someone who knows what they are doing BUT if its a gas hob and oven, and the electric is just for the light and ignition then it is just a normal 13amp plug- we have just got a new gas oven and hob, with electric light and ignition and grill-normal plug is fine. If as others have said its an electric hob or oven then it needs hardwiring by a professional

Really
https://www.myappliances.co.uk/Single-Electric-Ovens?*260=y

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The oven requires a 16 or 20A radial socket switched by a 20A double pole switch wired in 2.5 cable. If you have a 30A cooker switch as someone mentioned this is not suitable due to cable size.

Impossible to price on here as I don’t know the proximity to your CCU is the CCU adequate to house another circuit? Many variables call a local electrician for advice and a price.

As a general rule If the appliance doesn’t come with a 13A plug already installed by the manufacturer it’s not suitable for a 13A plug.

Hope this helps

That has saved me a few quid and near death experiences over the last few years :thumbsup:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Willing to be told different but….

looking at the pic, there is NO WAY those wires are designed to be used with a standard 3 pin plug, so it ain’t no gas cooker. That needs to be professionally hard wired in.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
True story...

I started an electronics business and didn't actually know how to wire a plug either.

Google or YouTube is your friend these days. Back in 2003, when I started it, it took about an hour for the page to load - by which time I'd already wired blue to live.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Willing to be told different but….

looking at the pic, there is NO WAY those wires are designed to be used with a standard 3 pin plug, so it ain’t no gas cooker. That needs to be professionally hard wired in.

Rubbish it can be hard wired in by anyone who knows what they are doing why pay?

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Hope this helps

If the cooker point Is not in use currently ?
The fuse could be downsized in the fuse board to a 16/20 A to make it useable / suitable
Still best to get someone in But it might save the grief of running a new supply
Just to throw another option into the already confusing mix

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
genuinely surprised by that. never seen an oven that runs off a normal plug, although this one has no hob.

That’s why it’s called an oven and not a cooker :D

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Disclaimer: I am lousy at DIY.

I've just received a new oven and need to put a plug on it. However, the end of the wire looks like this:

View attachment 148719

It's been years since I last wired a plug. Do I need to remove those clips on the end or is that some new thing to make it easier and should be left on?

I hae tried googling, but not managed to find anything about it.

Leave the clips on and insert into a raw potato. Dinner should be on the table in 10-15 years.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
genuinely surprised by that. never seen an oven that runs off a normal plug, although this one has no hob.

Last two ovens we have had (18 years ago, and 9 years ago) both came with plugs - just goes in the normal ring circuit sockets. It all depends on the loading - ours is an efficient low energy oven only - the hob is separate and is gas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here