Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wiring a plug help

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Disclaimer: I am lousy at DIY.

I've just received a new oven and need to put a plug on it. However, the end of the wire looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-06-09 at 10.46.50.png

It's been years since I last wired a plug. Do I need to remove those clips on the end or is that some new thing to make it easier and should be left on?

I hae tried googling, but not managed to find anything about it.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Need to first answer the question “what is the kW of the oven” then we’ll tell you what to do.
Is it electric oven and hobs or just using electrics for the ignition.

SAC

May 21, 2014
It needs to be under 3000 watts for you to use a 13A plug.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
wires are clearly not suitable for electic oven. this is gas isnt it and needs to wire in for ignition and timer?

or its off alibaba and needs re-wiring.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Disclaimer: I am lousy at DIY.

I've just received a new oven and need to put a plug on it. However, the end of the wire looks like this:

View attachment 148719

It's been years since I last wired a plug. Do I need to remove those clips on the end or is that some new thing to make it easier and should be left on?

I hae tried googling, but not managed to find anything about it.

Use a qualified electrician, don’t mess with electrics !

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
If I had time I'd post the old gag about 2 men passing each other 200ft up in the air - one going up, the other coming down.

"Do you know anything about wiring gas ovens?"
"No. Do you know anything about parachutes?"

But I'm a bit busy.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What oven is it?
How did you remove the old oven?
There should be a switchable socket like this
https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-45-Amp-Cooker-Control-with-Neon-Slimline---White/p/711331
The 13 amp socket is NOT for the oven/cooker. You need to hard wire the cooker straight in to the back of the switched side. If capable look at your main fuse board and a cut out will be marked 'cooker'. Turn this off to isolate the switch. Check switch is off by plugging something in like a hoover. Then hard wire using Brown = Live Black = Neutral & Green = Earth.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Before doing anything, check you life insurance is up to date.
You're clearly missing some fundamentals here.
As others have said, Electric cookers don't have plugs fitted as the load they can draw exceeds the fused capacity of the standard 13 amp [square-pin] plug / socket on the ring-main.
Electric cookers will / must have a dedicated power source on a 30 amp circuit and these are wired in, not plugged in.

5 minute job if you know what you're doing
Potentially life threatening if you don't ...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The original oven was set up with the plug socket when the kitchen was fitted a while ago. It's possible the plug socket is attached to its own breaker. My niece knows an electrician who is going to come over and have a look.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you have to ask, I would get an expert in.

Flash, crash, pile of ash.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
You need a separate 16A mcb type b from your d/b fed to an isolator then you can connect the oven to the load side on the isolator.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here