Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wireless cardreaders - a WARNING

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was listening to TalkSport on the radio this morning on my way to work (as is my RIGHT), and they were talking about Sith Ifrica and what a nightmare its going to be for the fans next year at the World Cup. Aaaaanyways. This bloke phoned in and recounted a tale of such wanton THEFT that I felt moved to bring it to you, the brethren of NSC.

This chap went for a meal in Jo'burg (he didn't mention the restaurant name or which province he was in, neither did he mention what he had). When the time came to pay the bill, the waiter came round with one of those portable wireless cardreaders. The bill came to something equivalent to around a hundred pounds. I would deduce from this that he had not dined alone. Perhaps he was with his family and/or some friends. Maybe it was a special occasion. It could even have been a business lunch maybe, as the time for this meal wasn't mentioned. He didn't specify, and so I can only speculate. Actually, perhaps it was a brunch ? Do they have those in Africa ? I've never been. I went to Turkey earlier this year and Brunch wasn't really very big over there, but we're talking about different continents, different cultures. We go mainly for the beaches, and whilst I wouldn't rule out a trip to South Africa some time in the future, it never came up on the radar for this years holiday to be honest. Anyhoo, for this chap on the radio I think it was probably an evening meal, that seemed to be the context of the tale, but as long as you're aware that is just a complete assumption on my part.

So he puts his card into the the portable wireless cardreader, enters his pin, gets his receipt and thinks nothing more of it. They probably left the restaurant shortly afterwards and went for a drink somewhere. Or perhaps they went back to the hotel bar, although from my experience, that would likely have been more expensive, but perhaps a little more secure. Thats what I'd probably do. You don't want to be caught wandering around Soweto looking for somewhere to have a nightcap, that would be dangerous (that is assumung this was the evening - again, I have no way of knowing, but even in broad daylight I've heard it can be hazardous). So when this chap got home from his trip, at some point soon after, he received his credit card bill. The £100-or so that he thought he'd paid for his meal had in fact inflated to something closer to £8,000.

I don't know if service was included, or if everyone had a starter, but this chap was rightly suspicious as clearly £7,900 worth of service charge could be deemed excessive. 10% is generally the custom in this country, and whilst South Africa has a vastly different society and culture, this restaurant bill just looked like it could be wrong, and so he phoned the credit card company to query it. They removed the charge whilst it was investigated, and it turns out that this is a common problem. Here's what happens.

When a portable wireless cardreader leaves its "base", it links up with an unsecured wi-fi signal. When you put your card in the cardreader and enter your pin number, those details are transmitted back to the base unit via the wi-fi connection - BUT - this signal can be intercepted. The likelihood is that as this chap entered his details, and someone in the restaurant (or out the back), on a laptop, intercepted the details and used them to pilfer his card to the tune of £8k.

Therefore, if you are paying using a credit or debit card, the rule is (and I'd say this is worth remembering in general, not just when abroad), NEVER pay on a wireless cardreader. Rather than having someone come to your table for you to pay the bill, you should instead politely excuse yourself from your guests, go to the bar or office, and enter your card details whilst the cardreader is still on the base unit. This will then avoid the wi-fi being engaged, and will prevent your card details being beamed all over the restaurant for unscrupulous people to intercept and buy drugs, wild rhubarb and guns on your card. You can perhaps coincide it with a toilet visit, or to pass on your regards to the chef if the meal was particularly enjoyable.

Worth remembering I think.

Last edited:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The card reader and base in most units (all that I am aware of will scramble the signal between the units) so even if intercepted would be almost impossible to unscramble. Also if the merchant defauded on this scale they would be picked up by Visa/Mastercard and kicked into touch very quickly.

Like Derron Brown most frauds are the most obvious options, I imagine the card was swipped and PIN viewed by a member of staff or it was miskeyed and the person paying did not pay any attention. The fact the transaction went through the merchants stystem, they either over keyed the transaction or got possestion of his card and PIN for a short time. If they had stolen the mag stripe and PIN they would have used it to clone a card and used it in a different manner.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
you should instead politely excuse yourself from your guests

You can perhaps coincide it with a toilet visit, or to pass on your regards to the chef if the meal was particularly enjoyable.

Worth remembering I think.

count_arthur_strong.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Rubbish - we use portable chip and pin un its via bluetooth and they are not unsecured they are paired to another device so they only recognise that.

The protable device should be paired to the till.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
When you paid your bill in a restaurant in Turkey did you get a nice liquier instead of the traditional mints or mini chocolate you get in this country. I remember when we went to Cyprus a few year ago we did. Although we went to a restaurant in Spain, near to Marbella and they left the bottle on the table for us to help ourselves, which was nice.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well the chap on the radio was relaying what he had apprently been told by his credit card company when they investigated the fraudulent transaction. So ONE of them must be lying. Perhaps his credit card company fobbed him off with this explanation. Or perhaps this man regularly phones national radio stations with apocryphal tales of financial skullduggary. A scaremongerer, if you will. Or perhaps the great and the good of NSC do not have the technical wherewithal to fully understand the process of wi-fi card transactions and the potential pitfalls that can or cannot be exploited, and despite poo-poohing this tale, may be in fact be ignorance of what can happen.

I just don't know any more. I don't know where to turn.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can someone please summarise this, I got (very) bored by the end of the first paragraph. I guess all the work in Haywards Heath is up this end of Perrymount Road today. :(

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When you paid your bill in a restaurant in Turkey did you get a nice liquier instead of the traditional mints or mini chocolate you get in this country. I remember when we went to Cyprus a few year ago we did. Although we went to a restaurant in Spain, near to Marbella and they left the bottle on the table for us to help ourselves, which was nice.

We were often given a HOT liqueuor
Liquer
Liqueur

a hot alchololic beverage, which was quite unpleasant to be honest.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
No wonder your cockatiel f***ed off if that's what you used to do when trying to get it to talk.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We were often given a HOT liqueuor
Liquer
Liqueur

a hot alchololic beverage, which was quite unpleasant to be honest.

maybe it was due as they left the bottle in the sun all day

Can anybody on NSC actually spell liqueierer liquidier liquerire correctly bit like linguire or is it lingurey

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
on the one hand, im certain the wireless connection is encrypted, rather obvious hole otherwise. on the other, there are plenty of ways to get round the security and Chip'n'PIN is not secure.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No wonder your cockatiel f***ed off if that's what you used to do when trying to get it to talk.

Well if YOU can make a fraudulent card transaction a THRILLRIDE of a read then I'm ALL EYES.

or ears.

....No. Eyes.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The wireless device that I had in my shop for a while had a SIM card in it and connected to the card company via the cellphone network - all the base unit did was charge the battery.

And yes, you can have brunch in Africa, but it would be at around about your normal breakfast time as most people in Africa get up early. :jester:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here