Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] wingeing Prem Managers

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
All the Prem Managers stuck with F A Cup replays wingeing about their players no being able to have a 16 day break and having to cancel luxury holidays.
They can't have it both ways.
They want to be in it but moan about replays .
Blackpool manager said that they dont have International breaks and have played 35 games this season so far.
Whats peoples thoughts on this

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My thoughts are:-

Ive had enough of whingeing Premier League managers, full stop, including our own.

Ease up on the refs, accept your own failings and call out your players when needed.

None of that has to be 'incendiary', just stop with the blaming and excuses.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
All the Prem Managers stuck with F A Cup replays wingeing about their players no being able to have a 16 day break and having to cancel luxury holidays.
They can't have it both ways.
They want to be in it but moan about replays .
Blackpool manager said that they dont have International breaks and have played 35 games this season so far.
Whats peoples thoughts on this
Yes. Make no mistake this is about Dubai or wherever it is the players are heading to

It's exactly the same as the ongoing petition for a xmas / winter break which eventually got put into place. Ostensibly about player burnout which we do have to think about, but the winter break just means that the same number of games now have to be played in a reduced period of time.

Powerful voices in our English football don't like the weather in this country, certainly not up north and will say any old bollocks to get the chance to jet off for a week on a sunny beach

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Stop moaning, play better, simple.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For once David Moyes wasn't moaning from the comments I've read - we've played lots of games already we'll Be fine - if only all PL managers were The same.

Your team wasn't good enough on the day to win, think yourselves to be lucky you've got a second chance.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Play a full strength team (a la Brighton, Newcastle & Man City). Problem solved.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Play a full strength team (a la Brighton, Newcastle & Man City). Problem solved.
Any Prem team that faced a lower league side, who didn't go full strength, and now need a replay (I have no idea what sides Luton, Forest or West Ham put out tbh) has no place bemoaning the need for an extra game.

Tougher for Palace / Everton, or Wolves / Brentford, who had all-Prem draws and tbf DID play strong teams.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I'm not sure about the "too many games" argument - compared to 40 years ago everything about the game from care, nutrition, fitness, squad sizes, number of substitutions etc has improved but I just did a quick check and last season Arsenal played 49 games, while Liverpool in 1980 played 68 games with a smaller squad and fewer substitutions. What's changed to make it so much harder to play as much today?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not sure about the "too many games" argument - compared to 40 years ago everything about the game from care, nutrition, fitness, squad sizes, number of substitutions etc has improved but I just did a quick check and last season Arsenal played 49 games, while Liverpool in 1980 played 68 games with a smaller squad and fewer substitutions. What's changed to make it so much harder to play as much today?
I suppose that the game is much more based on athleticism than it was. But then to compensate, the players have cleared trained for this and are much better athletes.

Also don't underestimate the impact of the vastly improved playing surfaces. Playing on some of those early 80's pitches would have been a non started for the finely honed sports car players of today

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I suppose that the game is much more based on athleticism than it was. But then to compensate, the players have cleared trained for this and are much better athletes.

Also don't underestimate the impact of the vastly improved playing surfaces. Playing on some of those early 80's pitches would have been a non started for the finely honed sports car players of today
Yep, pitches today surely limit injury and also muscle fatigue compared to 40 years ago. Much less protection from refs in those days too so far higher likelihood of injury you'd think.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I have sympathy, there is too much football played at an incredibly intense level so personally I would do away with replays. It’s a very different game to 30 years ago.

However I also understand the lower league clubs wanting to keep them and the financial benefit for them so it is tricky.

I heard a couple of very sensible suggestions on a podcast earlier that said they could scrap replays for ties involving teams in the same division and kept for ties where they’re in different divisions. Or, they give the teams involved an option where they can decide if they want a replay or for it to be decided on the day. If both are happy for a same day result then fine, if one of them wants a replay option, they have to go with that regardless of what the other side wants. Both suggestions have far too much common sense involved for football administrators to be considered though.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have always felt apart from some PL players that are playing in Europe plus international games with 25 in squads and 5 subs there is to much moaning about no of games.
Interesting Blackpool have alredy played 35 games. What is the most games PL players have played this season How has Gross played.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I Think the FA cup as it right regarding replays currently, by the time the 5th round rolls around it is mainly PL clubs who do not want replays.

Getting rid of them before the 5th round is wrong, however what I have issue with is clubs like Bolton, who are in a mess due to mismanagement complaining it is the duty of PL clubs/FA Cup to bail them out when they wanted a closed PL stopping others being able to get promoted to it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If they don’t like it presumably they could forfeit the replay and let their opponent through on a bye?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Have always felt apart from some PL players that are playing in Europe plus international games with 25 in squads and 5 subs there is to much moaning about no of games.
Interesting Blackpool have alredy played 35 games. What is the most games PL players have played this season How has Gross played.
Agree and often foreign managers arrive here and in no time start moaning.

The better you are the more games you play, who'd have guessed it?

25 men squads in a myth. What about those u21. Far too often you here managers bemoaning the fact they are down to bare bones. Other clubs, like Brighton, use the youngsters low and behold some even turn out OK.

Today's players have everything handed to them, they live in a cosseted world. The best pitches, though it doesn't stop them staring at the perfect surface as they blaze the ball over the bar, the best recovery facilities, the best medical staff (no bucket and sponge around) and playing time is a lot less. With so many subs allowed few players play all minutes.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My thoughts are:-

Ive had enough of whingeing Premier League managers, full stop, including our own.

Ease up on the refs, accept your own failings and call out your players when needed.

None of that has to be 'incendiary', just stop with the blaming and excuses.
Agree entirely. To a man, every Premier League manager blames someone else for losses. Every one of them. I also think that the post-match routine needs to change. Asking a manager for their view on a controversial decision straight after the match invites deflection and nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here