Wine

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mar 13, 2008
I have no idea about wine. Not a clue, but my dad loves the stuff, so was going to get him some for christmas. Looking to spend about £20 and to be able to get it from a local supermarket type place.

Any wine lovers out there that can help. Thanks. x.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Unfortunately you are limited if you want to go to a supermarket.

If you live in Hove you would be much better popping into Quaff on Portland Road (assuming it's still there)

If you do go for the supermarket I would go for a Chablis grand premier cru (white) or you may be lucky and find a "Nuit St Georges" (red)

Mar 13, 2008
Red wine.

Dont mind going to a wine shop but dont want a really obscure place, or off the internet.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Brighton Bear has nailed it given your budget, a nice bottle of Châteauneuf-du-Pape normally around 15-20 pounds. That of course if your dad drinks red. If so can't go wrong.

021097.jpg

Why waste £20.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Not a supermarket but the Harveys shop is excellent for wine and you'll be able to get a very nice bottle for that.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Hi, I have been collecting red wine for many years, been on many vineyard tasting holidays all over world and would consider myself a little bit in the know.

there are some good bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, but generally French wine can be very hit and miss, some very good, some very bad.

New world wines are generally a safer bet (less bad bottles). The very best cheapish bottle out there at the moment IMHO is a New Zealand Pinot Noir. (Pinot Noir is one of the most difficult grapes to grow and master - needs wet'ish climate - and can only be grown in a few locations).

New Zealand 2008 "Villa Maria" is simply stunning, you can pick it up for £8.49 in co-op. I have drunk many bottles and have about 14 in my wine cellar. Its better than many much more expensive bottle and its highly rated.

If your father like red wine he will not be disappointed I promise.

label126x150.jpg

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Hi, I have been collecting red wine for many years, been on many vineyard tasting holidays all over world and would consider myself a little bit in the know.

there are some good bottles of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, but generally French wine can be very hit and miss, some very good, some very bad.

New world wines are generally a safer bet (less bad bottles). The very best cheapish bottle out there at the moment IMHO is a New Zealand Pinot Noir. (Pinot Noir is one of the most difficult grapes to grow and master - needs wet'ish climate - and can only be grown in a few locations).

New Zealand 2008 "Villa Maria" is simply stunning, you can pick it up for £8.49 in co-op. I have drunk many bottles and have about 14 in my wine cellar. Its better than many much more expensive bottle and its highly rated.

If your father like red wine he will not be disappointed I promise.

label126x150.jpg

Another vote for Villa Maria and is very well priced at the Co-op at present as stated

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Butlers Wine Cellar is THE place to go for wine! On Queen's Park Road just up the road from what is now the Hanover. Really friendly and unpretentious and they really know their stuff.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Butlers Wine Cellar is THE place to go for wine! On Queen's Park Road just up the road from what is now the Hanover. Really friendly and unpretentious and they really know their stuff.

This.

Henry will sort you out - his recommendations are spot on.

Or, if that's a trek, go to the Wine Cellars next to Brighton station, they have a good selection but Butler's is better.

Best to have an idea what kind of wine your dad likes. I'm a red drinker as well but I personally find Australian/New Zealand wines a bit too strong on alcohol content and low on subtlety (although there are exceptions). I'm a big fan of Spanish and Portuguese wines but these aren't to everyone's taste. Have a gander at your dad's empties and Henry at Butler's will have some good ideas.

Aalina

Sep 23, 2011
i think you know you dad very well so you also know very well that what is his choice . you can buy that one. otherwise if you want to get something different then just go to wine shope they will tell you all type of qualities and brands

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports