Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Windows 10

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have made 6 attempts at downloading windows 10 but it shows Downloading Windows 10 preparing for installation then after a while it shows failed and this has happened 6 times why could that be? It shows check your pc but when I click on that it just starts downloading again. I have now gone to HP and Windows to ensure all available down loads are complete and installed.

D

Deleted member 22389

Been a long time Linux user now, Windows feels like a complete headache these days, update this, update that. I know Windows does have it's positives thou, but Linux always gets better. I remember when you needed a degree in computer science, and whole day just trying to understand how to get Nvidia Drivers installed, now its done in a few clicks.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I have made 6 attempts at downloading windows 10 but it shows Downloading Windows 10 preparing for installation then after a while it shows failed and this has happened 6 times why could that be? It shows check your pc but when I click on that it just starts downloading again. I have now gone to HP and Windows to ensure all available down loads are complete and installed.

have you checked in settings and updates? you could try contacting Microsoft direct through chat/phone call on their website its free.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msuk/en_GB/home

D

Deleted member 22389

Been a windows user since day 1 b when I bought my first pc Windows 95 I think it was, too late to change now.

Depending on what you need the computer for, Linux is easier because your not having to think about or deal with Spyware or Viruses, which in turn doesn't rob the system of the memory and keeps the machine running as fast as when you first installed it. I moved one of my dads old friends over to Linux 4 years ago, he is 74 years old, honestly only had two issues in that time, when he was using Windows I was around there all the time.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is going into the unknown that worries me. as I am happy with windows although not an expert I generally get by. I use it mainly for writing letters, spreadsheets and browsing the internet.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Are you going via the 'white box' route or using the creation tool BG? Anyone I know having issues such as yours whatever the cause eg. where the graphics say they can't cope or whatever have gone via the creation tool route with success.
Worth a bash?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I wouldn't have bothered switching from 7 which I loved but my old PC was gradually dying and when I bought a new one it had 8 on it which I hated. Even after using the work around things that made it run like 7.

Upgraded to 10 at the first possible opportunity and have had no problems.

8 was like Vista. Used to work out all the crap bits before releasing the proper version. The analogy about you being the product being correct in that they used Vista and 8 to get 7 and 10 right by pretending they were shiny new OSs instead of beta versions.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Since I installed my Windows 10 my hdmi sound no longer works.
Anyone know of a fix ?

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Since I installed my Windows 10 my hdmi sound no longer works.
Anyone know of a fix ?

Have you changed the settings in playback devices?

Capture.JPG

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Been a windows user since day 1 b when I bought my first pc Windows 95 I think it was, too late to change now.

Windows 95 came out almost 10 years after the very first version of Windows but those early offerings were before Micro$oft had properly cornered the market so not many folk had home PCs that were DOS based.

Day 1 for me was Win v3 in 1990 followed by v3.11 and before that, desktop PC users had to master the intricacies of MS-DOS - oh them were the days ....

Anyone remember the "race" to market between IBM's O/S2 and Micro$oft's Windows?
I wonder how different home computing would be now if IBM had got there first?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trying to remember what I had first because my first pc was made for me by the computer man of Surrey Police in about 1990 although I had one in 1983 that I could only use to complete pub stocktaking and I couldnt do anything else like write letters. Had to use a typewriter for that. What was the windows prior to 95 as having the pc in 1990 it wouldnt have been 95 or 98.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Windows 10 installed and working just had adjust the printer and google settings but so far so good. No doubt I shall be back with a problem in due course. Havent tried tge HDMI lead yet as I use the other lap top for that and have ordered a chromecast on ebay frkm China.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here