Window Condensation

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I find a brick does the trick..might get abit cold but it works!

WHILST i'm here I made up a joke about condensation years ago....ahem:

What d you call condensation in a condom?

CONDOMINATION

rubbish is'nt it!?!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Is your house new / recently replastered? I'm not a builder so you might want to double check this... but I believe that new plaster takes a very long time to dry out completely and releases it's moisture into the atmosphere. If this is the case, then a dehumidifier would be a worthwhile investment as it could help to dry the plaster out quicker.

Also, from experience, sometimes leaving the curtains open during the night can lessen the condensation on some windows.

exeterseagull

May 19, 2008
exeter
I know this works in a car, but if you can get hold of any of those little silica gel packets that usually are found in things like trainer boxes etc, they soak up any moisture around..not sure how many you will need tho...
Actually thinking of it, not the best of ideas but try it in your car...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I know this works in a car, but if you can get hold of any of those little silica gel packets that usually are found in things like trainer boxes etc, they soak up any moisture around..not sure how many you will need tho...
Actually thinking of it, not the best of ideas but try it in your car...

As you say, not such a good idea. First you will need about 1 cwt to do a whole house. After about 2 days it will have absorbed all the moisture it can and will be spent.

To rejuvenate it you put it in the oven and roast it to drive off the water, but where does it go - straight back into your house. So the cycle restarts.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
A small bowl of salt in the room does the trick. Use to use it in my caravan years ago, a bit sad but it does really work!

Salt is a good choice, it attract moisture like a magnet until eventually it dissolves in it. This is called deliquescence.
I could see how it would work in a caravan, but to dry out a house would require massive amounts of salt. For instance my dehumidifier used to take out about 1 gallon of water a day.

To do this with salt would cost a small fortune.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Is your house new / recently replastered? I'm not a builder so you might want to double check this... but I believe that new plaster takes a very long time to dry out completely and releases it's moisture into the atmosphere. If this is the case, then a dehumidifier would be a worthwhile investment as it could help to dry the plaster out quicker.

Also, from experience, sometimes leaving the curtains open during the night can lessen the condensation on some windows.
You should NEVER use a de-humidifier in a newly plastered room. It makes the plaster dry too quickly which can cause cracking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports