Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Wimbledon stripped of ranking points

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Brilliant idea for exposing the hypocrites in the Russian sporting world and also allow participation by the civilized element. Do any of those who have opposed sporting sanctions on Russia agree ?

If i was an English tennis player I would find it quite easy to stand up and say, at the time, I am "against the war in Iraq" because I would not fear repercussions. If I was a Russian tennis player now I'd seriously worry for my own safety and safety of my family if I stood up and said "the invasion of Ukraine is wrong and I am against Putin".

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
If i was an English tennis player I would find it quite easy to stand up and say, at the time, I am "against the war in Iraq" because I would not fear repercussions. If I was a Russian tennis player now I'd seriously worry for my own safety and safety of my family if I stood up and said "the invasion of Ukraine is wrong and I am against Putin".

Yes, of course. But if I were an international sports star fully aware of the crimes being committed by my country I would use my influence and leave the country to make a stand. Hundreds of thousands of ordinary Russians have already done so since the beginning of the invasion. If sports people are not prepared to do so then why should supporters of Ukrainians freedom keep paying their wages ?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I take it you've been there.

I have Russian friends. Good folk. I don't judge whole nations by the aggressive actions of their governments. If i did, I'd end up thinking a lot of countries 'despicable,' including my own.

Most of us are unified in the condemnation of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So that doesn't need to be debated.

But I support the tennis decision. I don't feel that ordinary Russian citizens should be punished for the actions of their government beyond the economic sanctions.

Too much hypocrisy in this moral arbitration.

I'll put me tin hat and check the plethora of responses when I next log on. What I have written, I have written.

You're missing the point entirely. It is to send out a message to that ***t Putin. Unfortunately Russian tennis players
are the innocent victims of his decisions.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They have the option of keeping hteir heads down and saying nothing. They could fake an injury, if they're as scared as that. The sort of attitude that "millions of civilians are at risk of being murdered in the name of my country, and if I speak out I might be one more, so I'll keep my head down" is understandable. The attitude "millions of civilians are at risk of being murdered in the name of my country but I have to continue to support my country or I won't be able to make my millions of ponds", rather less understandable.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, of course. But if I were an international sports star fully aware of the crimes being committed by my country I would use my influence and leave the country to make a stand..................

That's fine. You've got the rest of your family out and settled in a civilised country have you, not just your dear old mum, but aunties, uncles, cousins as well? And anybody the Russian authorities might identify as a friend of yours? And all living in anonymity, like being in witness protection? - oh no, can't do that, you're playing in international tennis tournaments in the full public glare, aren't you.

Hope that antidote to Novichok you bought on the internet lves up to the blurb!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
That's fine. You've got the rest of your family out and settled in a civilised country have you, not just your dear old mum, but aunties, uncles, cousins as well? And anybody the Russian authorities might identify as a friend of yours? And all living in anonymity, like being in witness protection? - oh no, can't do that, you're playing in international tennis tournaments in the full public glare, aren't you.

Hope that antidote to Novichok you bought on the internet lves up to the blurb!

Some people step up when given a choice between right and wrong. Others don’t. Either way doesn’t really matter if we have picked our side in this war. The human rights of wealthy tennis players is just so trivial compared to the human rights of massacred Ukrainian civilians. We need to keep stepping up the pressure for change from within Russia and celebrity involvement is going to be important. Either that or go to war directly.
Perhaps this Russian supermarket owner could provide some inspiration for the tennis celebrities you are so worried about;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_VzJqcBz9c

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some people step up when given a choice between right and wrong. Others don’t. Either way doesn’t really matter if we have picked our side in this war. The human rights of wealthy tennis players is just so trivial compared to the human rights of massacred Ukrainian civilians. We need to keep stepping up the pressure for change from within Russia and celebrity involvement is going to be important. Either that or go to war directly.
Perhaps this Russian supermarket owner could provide some inspiration for the tennis celebrities you are so worried about;
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not worried about any Russian tennis players. I''m just pointing out that the idea that they should be allowed to play if they come right out and condemn Putin is a load of bollocks. It's one thing if they are willing to be martyrs themselves, but do they have the right to condemn familty and friends too, without their consent? No, I didn't think so.............
Yes, they are victims of Putins aggression - as are all the poor lambs who are upser that their favourite Russian tennis players won't be at Wimbledon this year are victims - but on the victim scale they are nowhere even near the people of Ukraine, so no, I'm not 'so worried about' them.

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
I find myself agreeing with the views of [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on this.

Individual rights matter. Russian tennis players are not playing for Russia, they are playing for themselves as individuals.

I am also concerned about the views expressed by some that we should go to war with Russia. Once the nukes start, we are all finished.

And the mass media bombard us with a very one-sided view of events. Certainly Putin is the person responsible for the killing and destruction going on in Ukraine, but he is not the only villain in the story.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I find myself agreeing with the views of [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on this.

Individual rights matter. Russian tennis players are not playing for Russia, they are playing for themselves as individuals.

I am also concerned about the views expressed by some that we should go to war with Russia. Once the nukes start, we are all finished.

And the mass media bombard us with a very one-sided view of events. Certainly Putin is the person responsible for the killing and destruction going on in Ukraine, but he is not the only villain in the story.

This has been my feeling from the start.

Nearly everyone is unanimous that the Ukraine invasion was an unnecessary act of war and Putin has blood on his hands.

But beyond that, we are seeing a goodies v baddies storyline unfold, littered with Disney heroes.

The reality is that things are more complex than that. And all sorts of political players are getting their way behind the medias veil. A prime example is the war crimes committed by Russia. There seem to be many, and they must be punished.

Not hearing about the Ukrainian units who refuse to take prisoners of war but rather kill them though. It's out there if you want to read about it- and from reputable sources.

Well, if any source is reputable these days.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I still haven’t got over them moving to Milton Keynes

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
This has been my feeling from the start.

Nearly everyone is unanimous that the Ukraine invasion was an unnecessary act of war and Putin has blood on his hands.

But beyond that, we are seeing a goodies v baddies storyline unfold, littered with Disney heroes.

The reality is that things are more complex than that. And all sorts of political players are getting their way behind the medias veil. A prime example is the war crimes committed by Russia. There seem to be many, and they must be punished.

Not hearing about the Ukrainian units who refuse to take prisoners of war but rather kill them though. It's out there if you want to read about it- and from reputable sources.

Well, if any source is reputable these days.

If the Ukrainians ever do that on Russian soil then I will condemn them. Until that happens there is no equivalence

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I would have thought it might have been better to invite Russian players so everyone can vent their feelings to them and convey the message what a despicable country it is.

Theoretically nice idea but I suspect Wimbledon just a bit too posh to let the crowd openly heckle. I got lucky in my first ever attempt at the ballot and I've got tickets for centre court opening day and wondering how I can let Novak Djokovic know he is a twatty without getting thrown out! :)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Theoretically nice idea but I suspect Wimbledon just a bit too posh to let the crowd openly heckle. I got lucky in my first ever attempt at the ballot and I've got tickets for centre court opening day and wondering how I can let Novak Djokovic know he is a twatty without getting thrown out! :)

Hold up a sign saying “ come on No Vax”

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Record Prize Money for Wimbledon 2022

This is great news and with an 11% increase on last year it is good to know that the tennis stars will beat the 10% anticipated levels of inflation around the time of the tournament and ensure they are not adversely affected by the cost of living crisis. Should also appease those players upset at the loss of ranking points.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here