Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Willie Bell RIP

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
More than 15 or 16 players, I think - we still had a reserve team in the Football Combination! Not sure when we stopped playing in that, or what the reason was at the time.
Didn't we run any sort of youth team back then?
Back then, we seemed to have those 15 players in the first team squad and that was it!

Team changes seemed to be few and far between - occasionally a change for an injury or two
My memory is probably playing tricks again but it seemed that most of the squad would be playing nearly 40 League games

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
And proper Brighton shirts! Not a stripe in sight! :)

BTW for anyone wondering the 'Bobby' Smith' in the photo isn't the Bobby Smith, the former Spurs and England star who shocked the football world by turning up at fourth division Brighton, it's just a namesake. I believe, slightly topically given the FA Cup QF, that we signed him from Grimsby (or sold him to Grimsby, can't remember).
I was wondering exactly that. This was a squad from my young days, and I never saw THE Bobby Smith.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Back then, we seemed to have those 15 players in the first team squad and that was it!

Team changes seemed to be few and far between - occasionally a change for an injury or two
My memory is probably playing tricks again but it seemed that most of the squad would be playing nearly 40 League games
And no substitutes, so you could only use 11 players for a match.

edit: or rather only one substitute, so you could only use 11. Substitutes introduced in 1965.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here