Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Will writing advice

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
There seems to be a hell of a lot of online Will writing services - are they any good/legally recognised?
The fees seems to range from 'free' (with an optional charitable donation) to around £59, which seems ridiculously cheap when compared to the price a solicitor charges.
We (myself and o/h) are looking for a simple mirror/joint Will. There are no complications, no children etc. involved, just a simple wish to leave everything to each other, should either one of us pass away.
May I ask the helpful folk of NSC for some advice? Thank you. :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All you need is here
https://www.freewills.co.uk/

They make their money from hoping you use their secure holding service but I didn't bother I just keep a copy in my safe box and two friends have a copy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Will Aid 2023 is open and taking bookings for November. Participating solicitors waive their fee in exchange for a suggested donation to one of a number of well-deserving charities

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
After way too long without a will, we used Farewill.com as an economical alternative to a high street solicitor.

We did lots of research before going through the process which was incredibly straight forward. We have a simple, relatively uncomplicated ‘estate’ to plan for and also pay a small annual amount for them to both keep a copy of our wills and allow unlimited changes to the document too.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I paid £120 for mine a lot of that was because they kept one copy safe for at least 20 years 3 months later i got a letter saying we cannot look after your will anymore but if you pay £4 a month we can arrange this. I wouldn't recommend them :eek: :thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I would use a solicitor and have a trust of which you and wife, plus whomever gets it if you both cark it, as trustees.

Consider this, one of you dies first and the other lives in your house. The surviving partner then needs long term care. Social Services will force you to sell the house and use the money to pay for your care until theres about £19k left.
The alternative is that when one of you dies, the property goes into a trust with the surviving partner and thier beneficiaries as trustees. If the house has to be sold to pay for the surviving partner's care, half of the money goes to the beneficiaries.
In order to do this the house ownership has to change from "joint owners" to "owners in common" (or vice versa).

papachris

I used MJR solicitors in Bognor. Thorough professional job. Didn't cost too much.
From my own experience I can't stress enough the importance of a will and also to communicate what is in it to your loved ones etc. It's your own choice what you put in your will bit it can save fallings out etc after you are gone if there will be no suprises

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Tbh, I'm finding all this a veritable minefield, despite wanting a simple mirror Will. Much as I'm loathe to pay several hundreds to a solicitor, I'm wary of all these online/telephone/home visit 'offers'.
I feel it should be far easier (and cheaper) than this, for such an uncomplicated Will.
(Our flat/mortgage is in joint names so surely that automatically means it passes to the other - even though we are not married...no?)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
If you are married then what you are hoping for in the will is simple. In fact its exactlly what happens if you die intestate.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you are writing wills, make sure you make powers of attorney at the same time.

You never know when you will need them. I needed to invoke my partner's at least 20 years before I thought I would ever need to when she developed early onset vascular dementia, and her cognitive capabilities completely collapsed.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If you are writing wills, make sure you make powers of attorney at the same time.

You never know when you will need them. I needed to invoke my partner's at least 20 years before I thought I would ever need to when she developed early onset vascular dementia, and her cognitive capabilities completely collapsed.
Very sorry to hear that, and advice taken on board.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unmarried, but been living together for over 20 years.
If you are unmarried, without a will, yours or her siblings have a claim. There’s also the complication of you both dying at the same time in an accident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here