Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the Queen Abdicate?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How old is too old? He's only 66. Edward VII had to wait until Victoria died, so only ruled for 10 years.

The fact is that Edward VII came to the throne aged 59 so had already reigned for 7 years by the time he was 66.

I fancy the Queen will go on until she dies which, judging by her mum, will be in another 12 years. Charles will be pushing 80 when he gets the gig. I fancy he'll do it for 5-6 years then abdicate to William once his kids have grown up.

I think the Royal Family haven't been this together since the Silver Jubilee in 1977. They're in good shape and the Queen doesn't need to abdicate.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
That would be a brave bet on the Queen of Denmark's speech. A load of words you have no idea what they mean or how they are pronounced. I wonder if they take accumulators.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No, she will not let go of the tiller.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That would be a brave bet on the Queen of Denmark's speech. A load of words you have no idea what they mean or how they are pronounced. I wonder if they take accumulators.

My Danish isn't all that good, but it looks like she's odds on to give a big Scandinavian festive high-five to the good folk of Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I did think the favs looked a bit odd - oddschecker doesn't make it clear that's for Denmark.

No, but the microscopically short odds on the inclusion of a large number of Danish terms were a fairly hefty clue :lolol:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
My Danish isn't all that good, but it looks like she's odds on to give a big Scandinavian festive high-five to the good folk of Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

That's your equivalent of a nod to the Commonwealth. Got to keep the fish suppliers happy.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
No, but the microscopically short odds on the inclusion of a large number of Danish terms were a fairly hefty clue :lolol:

I scroll past all the shorties looking for a bit more juice in the price so the first that caught my eye was London which there had been money for.
I guess the QoD does her speech live whilst the QoE is filmed way before so they're couldn't really be a market for it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I scroll past all the shorties looking for a bit more juice in the price so the first that caught my eye was London which there had been money for.
I guess the QoD does her speech live whilst the QoE is filmed way before so they're couldn't really be a market for it.

Looks like Queen Margrethe II does hers on December 31st, so has plenty of time to consider what she wants to tell those naughty Greenlanders about whaling :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unless she clocks the rag at 1000/1 and mentions Bet365 to land a TOUCH :thumbsup:

There must be similar odds displayed for QEII somewhere online. I can't believe Queen Margrethe gets her odds and Ma'am over here doesn't.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
There must be similar odds displayed for QEII somewhere online. I can't believe Queen Margrethe gets her odds and Ma'am over here doesn't.

If it wasn't for the fact that it's recorded well in advance (so people could potentiality cheat) there would be a PLETHORA of markets such as the colour of her dress. Mauve (NAP) BTW

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Unless she does abdicate Charles, who will be known as King George VII as a tribute to her father, will be too old to to start being king surely.

He won't be too old...but the fact that he starts his main job in say his late 60s shows how nuts the whole hereditary thing is.

He may have a really hard time coming from the Murdoch media too - don't envy the poor old so and so.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I hope she announces that she plans to abdicate, because when it happens it'll mean everyone gets a day off work.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He won't be too old...but the fact that he starts his main job in say his late 60s shows how nuts the whole hereditary thing is.

He may have a really hard time coming from the Murdoch media too - don't envy the poor old so and so.

If she lives as long as her mother, she may even outlive him, and the throne pass directly to William.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Unless she does abdicate Charles, who will be known as King George VII as a tribute to her father, will be too old to to start being king surely.
Why would his age matter? I don't claim to be an expert on the inner workings but how much actual effort will being King actually require?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here