Will the next World Cup happen in South Africa?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
People down there believe it is very unlikely.

Two reasons:
1. Infrastructure. Considerable doubts that the stadiums (sorry, stadia) will be ready. Also their telecommunications are a real mess and no one believes that they can provide the necessary telecoms infrastructure within four years.
2. Safety and security. Although the South African government keeps talking about the security situation improving (which it is), what they fail to mention is just how bad it still is.

As an example the Qatar Airways Airport Manager in Joburg who had been in the country just three months was shot dead earlier this week after he stopped on a motorway slip road to check directions. His predecessor had requested a move away from Joburg after he had been held hostage and mugged.

I visit Joburg once every couple of months on business and frankly I just cannot see how they will be able to guarantee the safety and security of thousands of football fans from around the world.

Does FIFA have a plan B?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
However well-intentioned FIFA are, the FACT remains that there are probably only about half a dozen countries who would be capable of staging an event of this size.

Surely it's better to have a well-run tournament in a country with proven infrastructure, than giving it to a country that will clearly struggle to get everything ready on time, let alone run it well

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
1) yeah I believe there are considerable delays with the stadium such as Cape Town's mayor deciding it's more important that money is spent on housing projects and help for the poorer communities.

2) I went to Cape Town last year and felt perfectly safe and was really impressed with the place. Would love to go back there for a world cup. However you would not get me to go anywhere near joburg for love nor money. The stories I've heard about that place (from South African friends who lived there) scare the shit out of me.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hiney said:
However well-intentioned FIFA are, the FACT remains that there are probably only about half a dozen countries who would be capable of staging an event of this size.

Surely it's better to have a well-run tournament in a country with proven infrastructure, than giving it to a country that will clearly struggle to get everything ready on time, let alone run it well

That counts out England hosting it again then :jester:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I read yesterday about the dodgy goings on with the Ali fight (his daughter was getting paid to fight in a rumble in the jungle rematch) but it got scraped due to dodgy dealings!! Surely SA aren't capable of running a World Cup then?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
80's Seagull said:
That counts out England hosting it again then :jester:
:lolol: Have it in GERMANY again :clap2:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
That said we're vitually a shoe in to get it in 2018, so maybe the FA will wait.

Not true. See Australia, China, Saudi Arabia etc

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Wozza said:

However if SA cock up 2010 then FIFA may think twice about giving the tournement to anymore non established countries.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Wozza said:

Possibly, but if 2014 goes to Brazil or another South American country, then I reckon 16 years ( 2022) will be viewed as too long for it to be away from Europe.

Last edited:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It's widely considered to be Europes "turn" in 2018. 2014 is the americas with Brazil most likely to get it. If the olympics in 2012 go well then having the world cup will be a simple next step.

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
In 1986 the World Cup was due to be held in South America and the honour was awarded to Colombia!! They had real issues about security, crime, cocaine cartels, infrastucture, stadia etc and over-ambitiously stated that they could resolve all this before the 1986 World Cup.
Eventually they had to own up to the fact that they were incapable of hosting the tournament anf the Mexicans stepped in to take it over. They had all the stadiums built since they had hosted the 1970 World Cup.
This all sound similar to the South African situation EXCEPT i think the politically correct lobby will push this through as they want this to be a truly global game.
I have family in Jo'burg area and they have a great lifestyle but have to sacrifice a lot. Secure Gated communities, driving in cars with guns in the glove compartment, armed all the time, dogs in the gardens of their homes .
It won't be a party in the City Centre all night.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Hatterlovesbrighton said:
It's widely considered to be Europes "turn" in 2018.

Officially Fifa doesn't have a 'rotation' policy beyond 2014.

TONY

Jul 27, 2004
HANTS
If its not awarded then you just perpetuate the status quo. Germany made obscene amounts of money from the World Cup ( and i can vouch it was fantastic) and simply awarding it to another already wealthy nation is of no benefit to the World game

The income will benefit South Africa to enable itself to become a far more stable and wealthy country.

The Cricket World Cup hosted there went very well and although i know the global appeal of Football is far greater and the travelling support as well, this surely shows that it could be possible.

oh and Australia can piss off!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports