Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will some of the supporters be the weak link next season?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The ground was far too quiet yesterday and there were loads of people we'd never seen before. Hope that's not a sign of things to come.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There is some k**b nearby me who screams at his loudest to abuse the players. Screaming at Skalak all the time, even shouted at the ref to send him off. Hemed is a disgrace apparently. Bong a c**t. I suspect he may also knock those who leave early, but they are most probably just trying to get as far away from him as possible. And of course he would never be brave enough to say those things directly to our players, but in the WSU he is

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I was genuinely shocked when I came onto NSC yesterday after the game. I had to ban myself for, well, a few hours. There was so much wailing and whining, tears and tantrums. You'd think we'd just been relegated. No-one can deny that yesterday's performance was poor. But we shouldn't let it eclipse this season's fantastic main achievement.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I was genuinely shocked when I came onto NSC yesterday after the game. I had to ban myself for, well, a few hours. There was so much wailing and whining, tears and tantrums. You'd think we'd just been relegated. No-one can deny that yesterday's performance was poor. But we shouldn't let it eclipse this season's fantastic main achievement.
Yes this. We were NOT that poor. Not on fire and on form yes and it was a disappointment we couldn't win but we have no divine right to win, City played well, defended as if their lives depended on it, had some luck, took a chance and won. They also deserved the applause they received from our fans, me included. Stephens looked class, Murray looked a game too far, he looked spent although he nearly scored with a near post header which was brilliantly defended. It was just not our day. Who is to say we can't put in a performance at Villa and turn it around. I don't think we will but you never know and it will not detract what this club has achieved this season. *

* still on a high on what we have achieved.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's just a noisy minority on here at times. Ashley Barnes was indeed a good example and I've been irritated by the treatment of last year's Goal of the Year winner, Jiri Skalak. I'm sure he didn't need the rather spiteful singling out by Adam Virgo on the Channel 5 show, particularly as he could have been a goal scoring hero in the second minute had Glenn Murray squared the ball rather than shooting wastefully wide.
Jiri really put himself about in the first half against Bristol City, but gets no credit for his efforts. Solly was no more effective in the second half, yet always gets the plaudits regardless. Virgo has never managed and whilst I have no quarrel with him being a pundit, he's a bit Lawrensonesque about the Albion at times and this isn't the first time he has used the show as a platform to single out Skalak for criticism.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Same here. Doesn't bode well for next season, have a nasty feeling a year long ban may be needed. :D

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure the weak link but certainly won't help when we are up against it,the fans united season at the goldstone was saved with a major fan input but i'm afraid those few thousand have been swamped by the new breed of fans who tbh are pretty poor.

No, you never, ever heard moaning, whinging or abuse of players at the Goldstone. No, not once ever, especially from the West stand.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

This. There are those on this forum who respond by saying it is OK to criticise, they have a voice, and anyone who queries their right to do so is simply bedwetting.

To a degree that is true, but my gripe is the lack of proportionality, the panic almost, as soon as one result goes the wrong way. the need to find scapegoats (who can forget the famous Hemed thread), the merciless berating of players beyond what can possibly be justified. I don't know why they do it, is it over reaction, frustration, over imbibing pop or whatever? Criticise yes, but be balanced, consider that you might just be over reacting.

And this is after Albion have won 28 games out of 45. It may well take us more than two seasons to win 28 games (14 is easily enough to stay in PL). We will very likely have winless streaks of 6+ games. We have lived in a cocoon of relative success for two seasons and IMO posters have become too accustomed to winning (FFS we had posts in Jan/Feb bemoaning poor performances despite winning, as if this was somehow a dreadful thing).

We do need to get real fairly quickly for there will be many, many more games next season where individual players don't look up to it, the team sees not to be trying, the signings were wrong/didn't happen, TB has no ambition, CH plays wrong subs etc etc whereas the reality is the opposition on the day were just too good.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We are going to get beat next season, maybe even badly a few times. If some of our supporters are going to view defeat by singling out players for special criticism, next season will be like poison and not just on this board!

You're quite correct in one respect. It's not just on this board. It's in football generally. There's a section of Real Madrid fans who seem to love to have a pop at Gareth Bale for example.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Think most fans know that 4th from bottom would be a great achievement and let's be honest the premiership is a dull and very boring division with few goals and not much entertainment.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I like the championship and will still be watching it next season. I will enjoy our time in the premier league, I would like to see us stay up, however I wouldn't be to disappointed if we come back down.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Just have to take next season on the chin, enjoy the ride and accept the touchstones of the Premier League - all the hype, bullshit and filthy lucre.

I do think we'll stay up but we'll doubtless cop a couple of hidings. Hopefully we spring a few surprises as well.

Just enjoy the summer first, these are happy times :). Enjoy them.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I hate to say it but the OP is absolutely right.

In the middle of the WSU yesterday I was appalled by the lack of desire to try and rouse a performance from the team.

I swear 40% of the ground weren't bothered about the result or how they could influence it then come on social media and slag off the team's performance.

We all need to man up and support through thick and thin next season as it's going to get bloody tough otherwise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I actually enjoyed yesterday's game more than I have for a while. At least the first half; largely because the stress has melted away.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex

Glad I spent the night in the Evening Star then and not looked at the board until now. Disappointing performance and result but get some perspective. We are promoted, that is what's really important.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I hate to say it but the OP is absolutely right.

In the middle of the WSU yesterday I was appalled by the lack of desire to try and rouse a performance from the team.

I swear 40% of the ground weren't bothered about the result or how they could influence it then come on social media and slag off the team's performance.

We all need to man up and support through thick and thin next season as it's going to get bloody tough otherwise.

What a load of crap. Fans fired up the team with a pre-match display any club anywhere would be proud of. 80% of the team failed to respond. It's not the fans that risk missing out on a career-high medal. Or risk being shown the door before getting a chance to even play in the Premier League. Being generous, maybe they're now just running on empty and are already on the beach.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Think most fans know that 4th from bottom would be a great achievement and let's be honest the premiership is a dull and very boring division with few goals and not much entertainment.

There are a lot more goals in the PL than the Championship.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Many, MANY old farts around me will not have the stomach for next season. They encourage the worst of each other and they moan relentlessly every game, about everything. Does my nut. When we're winning and doing well you could hear a pin drop. Bizarre!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here