Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will people bother going to the home tie next week?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Anyone thinking it’ll be empty is mental. It will be packed. It will be rocking.

I’m just so angry that RDZ was so tactically naive as to not give us a glimmer of hope. If we try to escape Rome with a 2 or even 3-0 defeat we’d have that hope and potentially one of the best nights we’ve ever had at the Amex.

He completely failed to manage a 180 minute tie. His tactics robbed us of that chance of a magical night and I’m really pissed off about it.

But if you can’t go and get behind the team on a night in the Europa League knockout stages. When can you eh?
In fairness, his tactics got us to the competition in the first place.

His petulance following the transfer windows, is what has caused the collapse.
He's kind of put his hand up to that now and more power to him for that.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
So, all the privileged fans that have amassed sufficient "loyalty" points to allow them access to see us play Roma at home but decide it to be a dead rubber and not go.

Shame on you. A 100 point disloyalty deduction should be imposed as a minimum.
And 5 match ban. Loyal fans only.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Anyone thinking it’ll be empty is mental. It will be packed. It will be rocking.

I’m just so angry that RDZ was so tactically naive as to not give us a glimmer of hope. If we try to escape Rome with a 2 or even 3-0 defeat we’d have that hope and potentially one of the best nights we’ve ever had at the Amex.

He completely failed to manage a 180 minute tie. His tactics robbed us of that chance of a magical night and I’m really pissed off about it.

But if you can’t go and get behind the team on a night in the Europa League knockout stages. When can you eh?
Sadly I’m pretty much with you, although we had chances, my swearing last night was aimed mainly at Dunk just before half time, just clear the feckin ball, no, no, no, no…. From that point on it was over.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
In the early Amex days I got super excited wondering who our pre-season european home fixture would be against. Now we are playing Roma, competitively. I’m going to enjoy these nights as and when they come. Ok we may be going out, but it’s about the experience for me. I’m looking forward to seeing their fans and what they bring to the match. It’s disappointing that some people might now sell their tickets, because they’ll miss out on a good night whatever happens.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I get why some might not turn up, but there are many reasons to bother. It's f##king Roma, it's a game of football where there's no pressure, and there's always that "what if". aspect.

And anyway, even if we don't win but somehow storm into a 2 goal lead inside 10 minutes to ignite hope, I want to be there to have witnessed the atmosphere unfolding.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In fairness, his tactics got us to the competition in the first place.

His petulance following the transfer windows, is what has caused the collapse.
He's kind of put his hand up to that now and more power to him for that.

I don't like that he keeps mentioning Bloom in his press conferences, but I don't think he's trying to hang Bloom out, he's just saying what he thinks and last night he was pretty clear that he's not expressing frustration. He's trying to drive the whole club forward. And like you say, that's what got us this far.

But it's just so galling that when we do get this far, it's naive game management that undoes us. It's a 180 minute match with the second leg at our place. We had every chance if we could just be defensively smart away from home. But no, we go gung-ho pressing on the halfway line, play out from the back high risk right up to half time and Roma chuckle their way to a 4-0.

We approached it like any other game we play. Not like a 180 minute tie against the runners up of last years competition.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't like that he keeps mentioning Bloom in his press conferences, but I don't think he's trying to hang Bloom out, he's just saying what he thinks and last night he was pretty clear that he's not expressing frustration. He's trying to drive the whole club forward. And like you say, that's what got us this far.

But it's just so galling that when we do get this far, it's naive game management that undoes us. It's a 180 minute match with the second leg at our place. We had every chance if we could just be defensively smart away from home. But no, we go gung-ho pressing on the halfway line, play out from the back high risk right up to half time and Roma chuckle their way to a 4-0.

We approached it like any other game we play. Not like a 180 minute tie against the runners up of last years competition.
6 players in their first season as first teamers.
They've been drilled to play this style.

Maybe it isn't so easy to switch to a completely different style for just one game?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
In the early Amex days I got super excited wondering who our pre-season european home fixture would be against. Now we are playing Roma, competitively. I’m going to enjoy these nights as and when they come. Ok we may be going out, but it’s about the experience for me. I’m looking forward to seeing their fans and what they bring to the match. It’s disappointing that some people might now sell their tickets, because they’ll miss out on a good night whatever happens.
We need to fill the ground next week, we have Mt Everest to climb in flip flops but we have to keep believing. Still another piece of history for our club whatever happens...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
And 5 match ban. Loyal fans only.
Nothing to do with loyalty. I travel 150 miles to home games and most of the away games. Same as my three passengers. If we fancy missing out on standing at the Park and Ride for 45 mins knowing you have a 3.00am finish with work the same day that's our choice. When you've done 59 years and over 1000 games, your loyalty is not questioned.
We will be at Forest..Liverpool and Brentford....will you..?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sadly I’m pretty much with you, although we had chances, my swearing last night was aimed mainly at Dunk just before half time, just clear the feckin ball, no, no, no, no…. From that point on it was over.
....and amongst all the flaming of the kids, the other 30-something vastly experienced pro who ballooned a great chance over at 2-0 🤬

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Real fans are the ones that did the hard yards in the lower divisions in my book not popping along to see Roma.
Apparently not.
European football has been a sideshow..a distraction. Its put too much pressure on our squad. Affected our PL form and led to many more injuries than we would have had. It's taught us a lesson. We were out of our depth last night. We had a much better chance of success in the FAC but that was chucked away because of the obsession with this Roma tie.
Now we have a struggle to finish top half.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Apparently not.
European football has been a sideshow..a distraction. Its put too much pressure on our squad. Affected our PL form and led to many more injuries than we would have had. It's taught us a lesson. We were out of our depth last night. We had a much better chance of success in the FAC but that was chucked away because of the obsession with this Roma tie.
We play in the FA Cup every season...... European football might be a rare or at best occasional treat, and we had at least as good a chance in the EL as the FA Cup. 100% right to concentrate on it imo.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Why wouldn't you? What happened to supporting your club through thick and thin? Aren't they allowed to lose against a much better side? We were definately the underdogs last night, and we will be again at home. Would be great to pick them off at home with the fans support...

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm actually really looking forward to it now.

It would be great to be in with a chance, but rocking up with no nerves or expectation has it's advantages.
I am not convinced we will keep a clean sheet so on the basis that Roma will score at least once...who will get the 6-7 goals we need? ( One scored in the last 4 games )

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Shirley the better question ought to be:-

'How full will the AMEX be after 80 minutes?'

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Apparently not.
If we prioritised the Roma tie at the expense of the FA Cup, I'm very happy. The FA Cup will be along again next season, and the season after, and... But playing in Europe could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Look back at some of those clubs in the past who strain every sinew to get in the top 6 or 7, then play weakened teams in Europe the next season. What the hell is the point?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I am not convinced we will keep a clean sheet so on the basis that Roma will score at least once...who will get the 6-7 goals we need? ( One scored in the last 4 games )
you misunderstood my post.

It would be nice to stand a chance.
But we don't
So attending a last 16 Europa league game with 0 expectations might be more enjoyable than a nerve-wracking exit.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I wont be there, but the missus and Jnr will be....& I will still watch it at home, despite the scoreline.

Make it a party atmosphere people. Yes, we are disappointed with how the European adventure is (likely) ending, but...

Albion have just been competing against the likes of Marseille, Ajax, AEK and Roma....Go along & celebrate a historic year for "a team like Brighton".

UTA

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here