Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Will Hove Greyhound Stadium survive the Covid crisis?

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Lovely dogs, awful sport.

If the track doesn't survive hopefully the land becomes something more interesting than non affordable housing...

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
One of my top ten sporting moments was the boxing day meeting a few years ago when NSC had its greyhound syndicate running. Our second hound Albion Star was last going into the final bend and she overtook the other 5 winning on the line to great celebrations on the terrace.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
as long as people continue to get clocked doing 36 in a 30 zone...
Lewes road, coldean lane junction. 90% on the course caught by same camera!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lovely dogs, awful sport.

If the track doesn't survive hopefully the land becomes something more interesting than non affordable housing...

This, have friends who have had ex racing Greyhounds and virtually all say the dogs are lovely.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
This, have friends who have had ex racing Greyhounds and virtually all say the dogs are lovely.

The dogs are lovely, I have had numerous ex-racers, but it's not an awful sport, Greyhounds are and always will be a hunting dog, they date back to Egyptian times.

They are the only thoroughbred dog which are born in various colours, Brindle, White, Black, Fawn, Blue, White Brown, White Black.

These dogs love to chase, this is their instinct and of course being lazy couch potatoes :smile: Most people are clueless about Greyhounds..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The dogs are lovely, I have had numerous ex-racers, but it's not an awful sport, Greyhounds are and always will be a hunting dog, they date back to Egyptian times.

They are the only thoroughbred dog which are born in various colours, Brindle, White, Black, Fawn, Blue, White Brown, White Black.

These dogs love to chase, this is their instinct and of course being lazy couch potatoes :smile: Most people are clueless about Greyhounds..

The Dogs are fine, the problem comes with the breeding and the way that slower dogs are " moved on " as they are not worth keeping sadly.

Feb 9, 2012
perth
Sadly the sport was on its arse anyway, no more Dog Tracks in London, see a very uncertain future for something that was a huge part of the local popular culture for a number of generations.

Agree with others that possibly no longer an appropriate/humane passtime for this century. But back in the day...do remember some fun times on the track there with you and many others - one night in particular when a certain mutual friend's heated dispute with a bookie over the validity of a winning ticket was quickly settled by a the guest appearance of a little handgun popping out of bookie's leather bag:eek:.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why is it an awful sport?

It's a bit of an odd one in modern times because it's competed by animals only. I'd actually struggle to call it a sport since the only participants aren't aware they are competing in one.

Since it's really about the money - have you considered snails ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sadly these ancient dogs will never just become a pet breed, they will become extinct.

FYI people who are involved in Greyhound Racing, like the trainers and the owners make very little money from the sport, its the ****ing bookmakers that bleed it dry!!

Shame the protesters don't apply their craft to horse racing which is just as cruel (debatable), but I don't see that sport being ruined, why? Because it's a multi-million pound industry, even Bloom owns a string of Race horses.

My opinion of horse racing is very much in line with that of dog racing.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

As someone who has had ‘numerous ex racers’ you should be a bit more clued up on what happens to the ones that don’t find homes. FYI they usually end up in China at meat markets.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
As someone who has had ‘numerous ex racers’ you should be a bit more clued up on what happens to the ones that don’t find homes. FYI they usually end up in China at meat markets.

Ireland are the biggest offenders, because they over breed the dogs. A solution would be to ban Irish bred Greyhounds from racing in England, which would curb the over breeding.

As the sport is in decline here I can't see why this hasn't been implemented by the GBGB, Oh silly me it might be all about the financial losses, same as Horse Racing and Football.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Been a couple of times, quite enjoyed it I think, but I'm afraid I was very, very drunk. :drunk:

I remember years back seeing a meeting on Sky Sports one evening when channel hopping and some cockney, wide boy bookmaker type they had on as a pundit said Hove was to dog racing what Lord's is to cricket, Wembley to Football and Twickenham to rugby.

Another sport facing a bleak future with everything that's going on I guess.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
It's a bit of an odd one in modern times because it's competed by animals only. I'd actually struggle to call it a sport since the only participants aren't aware they are competing in one.

Since it's really about the money - have you considered snails ?

Greyhounds were originally bred as hunting dogs to chase hare, foxes, and deer. So its classed as a blood sport.

In ancient Egypt, greyhounds were revered as gods, and only royalty were allowed to own them, shame this doesn't apply today.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Sadly these ancient dogs will never just become a pet breed, they will become extinct.

FYI people who are involved in Greyhound Racing, like the trainers and the owners make very little money from the sport, its the ****ing bookmakers that bleed it dry!!

Shame the protesters don't apply their craft to horse racing which is just as cruel (debatable), but I don't see that sport being ruined, why? Because it's a multi-million pound industry, even Bloom owns a string of Race horses.

Loads of people already have Greyhounds as pets, lots of the rescues get abandoned puppys. In fact the ones brought up, not in racing kennels are just normal dogs/pets.

I love four day cricket, thats also an old dying thing. When people are invloved as I was for years, its easy to turn a blind eye to the abuse and cruelty especially for the over breed dogs.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Loads of people already have Greyhounds as pets, lots of the rescues get abandoned puppys. In fact the ones brought up, not in racing kennels are just normal dogs/pets.

I love four day cricket, thats also an old dying thing. When people are invloved as I was for years, its easy to turn a blind eye to the abuse and cruelty especially for the over breed dogs.

I have to agree with you, and we all know that this happens, the biggest culprits for over breeding are the Irish.

Four day cricket, purest form of the game. :thumbsup:

The point I was making was that without racing the breed would be in decline, the Greyhound doesn't make it into the top twenty of most popular dogs to own.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very much so, although I see it as a bit of a rites of passage.

Of those of us who've been I'll hazard a guess, we were in our yoof and have bloody fond memories of the place.

It was the only place you could be GUARANTEED to get served as a spotty 13 year old (East side bar, long since flattened for offices)

Yeah Mister, 'course I'm eighteen. Pint of lager and lime please :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here