Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will hipsters save the world?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Think that IS the issue. UK hipsters appear self-obsessed, over-serious and to see things from the viewpoint only of number one. Certainly don't seem to be on any kind of mission to invite anybody else into their world. Wouldn't happen in Berlin.

Half of Berlin was very left wing in my lifetime and that didn't end up being the successful half.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am quite happy to separate my middle aged disdain/jealousy for/of groovers with better clothes and hairdos than me, from my encouragement of innovation and genuine entrepreneurialism.

Good luck to them, if these people are creating jobs, industry and its a new generation of entrepreneurs, then that's brilliant and should be encouraged, If this isn't really an economic movement merely a reflection on a specific generations economic activities which is in reality niche and very localised, then it's fun to be annoyed by them. It's a win win.

And I guess I have a vested interest; if they're stamped out who's gonna man the craft beer bars?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't mind hipsters when they're running their own business or recycle bicycle tires into handbags and belts etc but my good god they are annoying when they are employed in regular service roles. Too cool for school and unwilling to get off their arses and help.

You mean over-studious blokes with tattoos and lumberjack beards? They're just totally up themselves, despite the fact they're only trolley dollies serving up 'small batch' coffees and 'craft' beers. In about 18 months time they'l be like 'My GOD, what was I THINKING Back.In.The.Day?'. Best the rest of us give them an early reminder tho eh?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"Here's a load of unoriginal shit. Would you like it?"

"Not really thanks"

"It's organic and it comes with its own app"

"Ummm, well......"

*strokes beard* - "We've been on Mashable"

"Oh, ok then"

"Great, that'll be £45.99 please"

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I would imagine the continued surge in demand for beard oils alone is having a significant economic impact. That bloke's stall at the open market was heaving at the weekend...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hahaha good point. the demand on hops from the craft beer explosion is another green issue though......

Surely we can turn a blind-eye to the hop green issue....it is beer after all?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You mean over-studious blokes with tattoos and lumberjack beards? They're just totally up themselves, despite the fact they're only trolley dollies serving up 'small batch' coffees and 'craft' beers. In about 18 months time they'l be like 'My GOD, what was I THINKING Back.In.The.Day?'. Best the rest of us give them an early reminder tho eh?

To be fair a lot of us surely have moments when we think this? My hair-metal days spring to mind.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Surely we can turn a blind-eye to the hop green issue....it is beer after all?

Let's hope so. After all Germany and the UK has been self sufficient in high quality beer for hundreds of years, let's hope re inventing the wheel hipsters don't scupper it for the rest of us, who enjoy ancient, high quality breweries with their histories entwined with our culture.

It baffles me that anyone feels that Northern european beers need a shot in the arm. Ironically it Was only a decade or so ago that saw the March of German Danish and Belgian brands around the world as the last word in the definitive North european beer drinking culture, writ large in a global market. Asia, the U.S. etc has lapped up what we would consider common or garden Northern Europe brands like carlsberg or Heineken.

American beer perhaps. And even that has a link to traditional European brewing that goes beyond dismissing it as cold fizz for red necks. But telling the english, Belgians Germans or Danes that their beer could do with a hipster reboot? Simply don't get that.

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

g1324671789126134222.jpg

Is it me, or is that Harry Potter with dreads?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let's hope so. After all Germany and the UK has been self sufficient in high quality beer for hundreds of years, let's hope re inventing the wheel hipsters don't scupper it for the rest of us, who enjoy ancient, high quality breweries with their histories entwined with our culture.

It baffles me that anyone feels that Northern european beers need a shot in the arm. American perhaps. But telling the english, Belgians Germans or Danes that their beer could do with a hipster reboot? Simply don't get that.

I don't think craft is telling anyone to reboot their beer; craft is slightly different to the regular Northern Europe brews. The UK had cask ale and the industrially produced stuff. Craft, kind of, fills the vacuum between the two. I feel it compliments the existing beers in North Europe. It has been adopted by hipsters though, it will be interesting to see what happens when they desert it. Most of the craft drinkers I know are old enough and comfortable in their own skin to not have to worry about trends and fashions; we probably do sound like knobs when we're discussing it though*. And for me it has proved a gateway to real ale which can only be a good thing IMHO.

* I'm drinking the classic Brewdog Mikkeller double IPA collaboration called I Hardcore You

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I don't think craft is telling anyone to reboot their beer; craft is slightly different to the regular Northern Europe brews. The UK had cask ale and the industrially produced stuff. Craft, kind of, fills the vacuum between the two. I feel it compliments the existing beers in North Europe. It has been adopted by hipsters though, it will be interesting to see what happens when they desert it. Most of the craft drinkers I know are old enough and comfortable in their own skin to not have to worry about trends and fashions; we probably do sound like knobs when we're discussing it though*. And for me it has proved a gateway to real ale which can only be a good thing IMHO.

* I'm drinking the classic Brewdog Mikkeller double IPA collaboration called I Hardcore You

Don't get me wrong I am not dismissing it in a ludditite fashion. But the whole of the North sea, Baltic and Northern european plain ( the cradle of beer culture) has not got it wrong for so many years. Mass produced us beers kick started this phenomenon, but do the english, Danes or Germans really need it?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Flying American commercially farmed breakfast cereals half way around the world isn't exactly low impact. Even if they are delicious. Could anything be any more vacuous or unnecessary?

Especially as most of the more delicious elements of said cereals are bound to become entangled in their utterly ludicrous beards.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I f**king detest hipsters - arrogant, up their own arse idiots who have ridiculous beards and wear trousers that are too short and too tight. Sadly most vote Green hence why we have the utter shambolic ramble in charge in our city at the moment.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I worked for a Digital Media agency in Commercial Road earlier in the year and almost to a man or woman they were very hard working but mainly public school and thought the world began and ended in London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here