Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will England fans really sing the French national anthem tomorrow?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
If this doesn't stir you, then there is something wrong.

I was thinking that Elvis post was strange too. Our national anthem is fantastic and easy to belt out. Don't get that comment at all!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That's got to be one of your more idiotic posts , forget the Americans but the Australians ? We share so many ties it's ridiculous, from a common language, system of government , family ties the commonwealth and not forgetting they were there for us when it mattered , the French ? Our Gallic "friends" sold Exocets to Argentina during the Falklands war, I'd sing the Marseillaise tomorrow , but thinking that we're some sort of European fraternity ? Get your head out of your Arse.

Thanks for being so understanding. I wear my idiocy with pride. I have worked with French People, have lots of friends in France, have spent lots of time in France. I feel at home in France. I feel and have always felt that I have a lot in common with the French and share a lot of their attitudes. You are not going to change how I feel.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
You actually think they would sing our anthem....no country would I'm sure of that.
Hope I'm proved wrong one day though :)

You're proved wrong every single day on here you complete moron.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
If this doesn't stir you, then there is something wrong.

Nothing wrong, just find it a bit dour. Our National Anthem is asking someone ( that alot of the population don't believe in ) to save our monarch ( that a minority of our population don't believe in ). If you think of all the history that this country has then I feel we should have lyrics to an anthem to match.

If you are trying to out someone as less of a patriot than yourself, then I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree. I have been to many Euro and World Cup games both here and abroad. Trust me there are some cracking anthems out there, when it comes to passion, gutso and tradition I'm afraid GSTQ is not up there in my opinion.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Speak for yourself about one of the UK's most distinguished wartime allies, troll.

Not to mention that the Marseillaise is, IMHO, the greatest national anthem of the lot bar none: rousing tune, feistily defiant lyrics. So after everything that's happened it deserves to be roared out by anyone and everyone at Wembley tomorrow.

A bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTsg9i6lvqU

Now is not the time to get into a debate about France and its conduct in the war, however the only thing that distinguished France as an ally was its deep distrust of Great Britain, based on our shared history and a doubt that GB could eventually overcome Germany.

Vichy France was the most vigorous example of this prejudice and defeatism actively operating against GB and subsequently the allies, fighting hard particularly in North Africa, after operation Torch. Casablanca is of course just fiction.

In France itself collaboration was widespread and deep, typically the rich and powerful happy to jump into bed with the Germans, no other country in Europe was more complicit, the Oscar nominated "The sorrow and the pity" gets to the guts of this the truth, which is why it was banned in France for nearly 20 years.

Educate yourself.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-Against-France-Fighting-Vichy-1940-1942.html

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Nothing wrong, just find it a bit dour. Our National Anthem is asking someone ( that alot of the population don't believe in ) to save our monarch ( that a minority of our population don't believe in ). If you think of all the history that this country has then I feel we should have lyrics to an anthem to match.

If you are trying to out someone as less of a patriot than yourself, then I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree. I have been to many Euro and World Cup games both here and abroad. Trust me there are some cracking anthems out there, when it comes to passion, gutso and tradition I'm afraid GSTQ is not up there in my opinion.

You must have something missing then or been to some pretty shit England games. I also have watched England all over the world in major tournaments and there's not many better than a passionate English crowd belting out a national anthem.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I'm not here to stoke the fire as what happened in France really was heartbreaking:down:
But...would you sing the French national anthem tomorrow considering France are a country we've never really seen eye to eye with?
Would the French sing God save the queen?

What a pathetic, petty narrow-minded child you are.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
(1) The original idea was suggested by numerous British/ English people, which rather pisses on your suggestion (hope?) that nobody will participate.

(2) Presumably you'd rather home fans belted out "If it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts" instead.

Can you honestly not see, in a situation like last Friday's, why people in the UK (and elsewhere) might suddenly find themselves feeling a little closer to those who've suffered? How tragedy often makes us realise what we have in common as human beings, rather than what divides us? I believe, if the situation were reversed, and England were playing in Paris after such a catastrophe in London, just as many French people would be reaching out to offer sympathy, and to show solidarity in the face of such horror. France and Germany have plenty of history, yet I saw Berliners standing to respect a minute's silence today.

For what it's worth, God Save The Queen- in my opinion- is an absolute dirge compared to La Marseillaise (one of the world's classic national anthems), and it wouldn't seem nearly so appropriate under the circumstances.

Good old Sussex by the Sea is dirge compared to other clubs' anthems............but that's not the point though is it?

Albion fans have been singing and associate GOSBTS to BHA for generations, it was such a dirge that moved me to tears a few years ago on one amazing summer's day.

I would take our dirge over any other club's classic anthem all day long, it always amazes me other people don't feel the same way.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Good old Sussex by the Sea is dirge compared to other clubs' anthems............but that's not the point though is it?

Albion fans have been singing and associate GOSBTS to BHA for generations, it was such a dirge that moved me to tears a few years ago on one amazing summer's day.

I would take our dirge over any other club's classic anthem all day long, it always amazes me other people don't feel the same way.

Good job we have Sussex By The Sea then, isn't it?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Now is not the time to get into a debate about France and its conduct in the war

Is literally the only thing you've said that's - just - worth dignifying with a response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here