Will Christmas ever get back to normal?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What is the big fascination with alcohol at Christmas and New Year? You're stuck at home, you can't go anywhere

Think you have answered your own question there! :wink:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
They started their run of Xmas films on Channel 5 last week. I am waiting for the masterpiece, Jingle all the Way to arrive and I will know Xmas is here.

Erm, doesn't everyone know that THE Christmas films are Elf and The Muppet's Christmas Carrol?!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Erm, doesn't everyone know that THE Christmas films are Elf and The Muppet's Christmas Carrol?!

National Lampoons and The Kranks for me.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I ruddy love Christmas/Winterval. It's the most wonderful time of the year, if we can bring that spirit of goodwill to all men forward into December then all the better.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Like all annual festivals, has become over commercialed amd its true meaning and purpose lost in the hype.
Same as:
Valentines day [how fecking expensive do roses get in the week prior?]
Shrove Tues [far less so but watch this space]
Easter [more chocolate than you could throw a diabetic at]
Halloween [ask a kid what the festival is really for - not many will know]
Guy Fawkes / Bonfire [pyrotechnics fast becoming a luxury of the rich]
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
New Years Eve / day

Parliament should legislate that only the 4 weeks prior to any such festival can be used to promote said fest.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What I love the most about Xmas day is that everyone tries. They forget the past and embrace people and give gifts. Even if you are not religuous that is a lovely thing if you think about it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

A couple of horror alternatives are Suburban Zombie Christmas and Silent Night , Zombie Night.

:xmas: Dear Santa , All I want for Xmas are BRAINS and a side portion of GORE :xmas:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
You can buy mince pies and advent calanders in September now, if you wish. It's ridiculous.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's a joke. It's just pressure and people will get themself in debt because of it. Kids have got to have something because you would be a right mean ******* if you didn't. I think people need to be sensible with gifts for adults. Just agree not to send anything and vice versa it's easier and cheaper that way. I don't honestly need anything. I think it's more important that you spend time with family. I feel sorry for the poor people who don't have nobody at xmas, especially homeless and the elderly, must be bloody terrible for them.

Absolutely spot on. Have agreed with extended family that I don't need owt, so minimal gifts are the way forward. Have told the Mrs that I need a new Rado watch........

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Our neighbours already have a big tree and all their decorations up. It's the middle of ****ing november! :angry: I can almost understand why companies do it but why would any sane individual CHOOSE to put their shit up now? :angry:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Christmas is brilliant, but I do feel sorry for parents who are struggling with money as it is a horrible feeling to not be able to get your kids what they want.
Santa Claus the movie is THE christmas film

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Our children got only a few small presents when they were young. We didn't have the money. We used to spend it all on drink.....that's what Xmas is all about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
well, if you and all of us who dont give a rats about the consumerism sit it out, then it might start to fade a bit. problem is i do like the excuse for a company paid party somtime mid Dec and i have nothing against basically downing tools around 22nd Dec until the second week in Jan, so its difficult to really bulid a campaign against it.

...and the adults just look forward to the booze and gluttony.

see, its not all bad. merry yule.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
You can buy mince pies and advent calanders in September now, if you wish. It's ridiculous.

...and you can buy hot cross buns all bloody year, what's that about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports