Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Buckley

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
"Just keep yourself reasonably fit, Buckers, go through the motions and for god's sake don't get injured, and we'll be in for you at the next transfer window." Not hard to imagine a conversation like that taking place, dialled from a north eastern number.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Because these people are all human beings and as human beings they are different. Yes, some people can get up for a game after a close family member has died, but others can't. Others take time off.

Bridcutt didn't even try. That is more disappointing to me.

Buckley tried, didn't quite achieve. I am disappointed he didn't produce. But not being angry with him for what he said in the interview isn't about being forgiving, it's about actually listening to what he said and not twisting it into an erroneous claim he said he didn't try, like he was conning the club.

Barnes tried and to some degree did achieve. But that speaks to his character, not buckley's, because they are different people.

Well said.

I think labels like "weak minded", "shameful", "contempt" etc are just reactionary and over emotive. There's a reason why sports psychology is become more and more prevalent. The aim of an athlete is to focus 100% for the period they are on the pitch, they have a bunch of professionals to help them do this and to prepare them for it.

The possibility of playing at a higher level, earning significantly more money (effectively being made for life), and the fact that the club stopped him from moving in January are obviously going to affect his focus.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
"Just keep yourself reasonably fit, Buckers, go through the motions and for god's sake don't get injured, and we'll be in for you at the next transfer window." Not hard to imagine a conversation like that taking place, dialled from a north eastern number.

This seems quite likely.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The sad thing is Sunderland are going nowhere. Poyet is a class manager and has them playing tight football. As much as I'd love to see them prop up the league I can't see it happening,

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Well said.

I think labels like "weak minded", "shameful", "contempt" etc are just reactionary and over emotive. There's a reason why sports psychology is become more and more prevalent. The aim of an athlete is to focus 100% for the period they are on the pitch, they have a bunch of professionals to help them do this and to prepare them for it.

The possibility of playing at a higher level, earning significantly more money (effectively being made for life), and the fact that the club stopped him from moving in January are obviously going to affect his focus.
Yeah and in the process he gets a fat wad while doing jack shite,loses his form and we get less money for the transfer 6 months later.
If anything he should've upped his game and respected the hand that fed him...no sympathy from me!

That's your view though and respected :)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Ok, it has never been done before but on the evidence of today and of that media clip from earlier in the week, I think that the club should sue Buckley for breach of contract!

Very tenuous perhaps but when I have paid for my season ticket and that disgrace then admits to not trying, he owes me!

You need to brush up on your contract law.
When you buy a ticket, your contract is with the promoter - in this case B&HA FC and their side of the contract is to lay on a football match.

Buckley has [did have] a contract with B&HA FC - which may possibly be along the lines of - you will play football for us, if we win, you may get a little bonus. If the club seriously feel that a player is not "trying", there is probably a disciplinary process [like for any other person employed] to deal with "performance improvement plan"

But as a ticket purchaser, you do NOT have any contract with any of the players individually.

Hope this helps ....

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Easy to say ...harder to prove

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
You need to brush up on your contract law.
When you buy a ticket, your contract is with the promoter - in this case B&HA FC and their side of the contract is to lay on a football match.

Buckley has [did have] a contract with B&HA FC - which may possibly be along the lines of - you will play football for us, if we win, you may get a little bonus. If the club seriously feel that a player is not "trying", there is probably a disciplinary process [like for any other person employed] to deal with "performance improvement plan"

But as a ticket purchaser, you do NOT have any contract with any of the players individually.

Hope this helps ....

Indeed. The action would have to be under tort: that Buckley owes supporters a duty of care to try his best. Not the easiest thing to prove otherwise. Move on seeme like the best advice, safe in knowledge that 'injury' awaits....

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Sorry attached wrong quote

Bit strong eh Shropshire, made your point well and very clear, shame it was spoiled by a snide ending

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Easy to say ...harder to prove

But completely rational as well.

If I was Poyet, or any other manager chasing a player for that matter, like Monkey Man said "Just keep yourself reasonably fit, Buckers, go through the motions and for god's sake don't get injured, and we'll be in for you at the next transfer window." is a natural thing to say.

I would and I think anyone else would as well, wouldn't you?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Yesterday he was against Ashley Young and you would expect him to impress. It was as much the shortcoming of United's formation as to Buckley himself which helped him play well in the first half.

He will find full backs and other defences less generous and if he does prove a threat they will look to 'work him out'. It is early days.

I really liked him in our blue but time moves on and we need to see how he copes.

He and Bridcutt were really a hangover from the time Gus was here and they did not deliver to their potential when he had gone.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Yesterday he was against Ashley Young and you would expect him to impress. It was as much the shortcoming of United's formation as to Buckley himself which helped him play well in the first half.

He will find full backs and other defences less generous and if he does prove a threat they will look to 'work him out'. It is early days.

I really liked him in our blue but time moves on and we need to see how he copes.

He and Bridcutt were really a hangover from the time Gus was here and they did not deliver to their potential when he had gone.

Agree with all the above. I watched the game and Man U were the worst I have ever seen them. If I was basing their whole season on yesterdays match, relegation would be a possibility.

Funny thing about Buckley though, was that he looked like he could have played for 180 minutes.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's not about whether we got the best of Buckley after the deal to sunderland almost went through. It's about a) whether it was a conscious decision from him, and b) whether buckley has been so disrespectful to the club by coming out and admitting he didn't bother trying to try.

Whether Hyypia liked his effort or not is irrelevant to either point.

People are angry at Buckley for something he never actually said.

Buckley did not confess to not trying. He says he did try, but admits the potential move was probably at the back of his head, intimating that if there was a lack of application it wasn't something he deliberately set out to do.

I'm disappointed with him because I saw with my own eyes someone who didn't try for much of last season, especially from mid-December onwards. Now he may not have deliberately done that, or set out not to perform, but I thought he could have shown enough professionalism and enough respect to the club that despite not getting the move in January he'd still play his heart out for the team for the rest of his time here. 6 months wait was hardly the end of the world for him. As much as what Hyypia has said is irrelevant, what Buckley has said is largely irrelevant too - we all know what's gone on whether he said anything about it or not. His form didn't just dip, it disappeared. It's a real shame because I'd love to be watching his performances for Sunderland without thinking why didn't we get that for the last 12 months.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Sami Hyypia questioned Buckley's attitude. That's good enough for me.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sami Hyypia certainly didn't think that the effort Will Buckley put in this season (and pre-season) was acceptable, and given that he is in the best position to judge, I'm willing to take his word for it.

I disagree. I think Sami made a bad misjudgement.

When I first saw Will Buckley play I did not think he was anything special either.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I disagree. I think Sami made a bad misjudgement.

When I first saw Will Buckley play I did not think he was anything special either.

And he's not. A waster, a timid little boy in a mans game. No effort, no commitment they're welcome to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here