Will Buckley responds to Sami's comments

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. I can't believe how bitter some fans are. All players move at sometime or another, and if it is to a higher division, of course they want to go. Only fans are loyal.

I think you and [MENTION=17377]leigull[/MENTION] are missing the point. I have absolutely no problem with a player who has given 100% moving onto to bigger and better things. I will look out for Ulloa & Barnes all season and hope he has a great season. They both visibly tried up until their last kick as far as I'm concerned.

Where I think you are both wrong is that WB notably went completely off the boil, rarely impressed when we needed him most, and kept physios busier than he did defenders. We made excuses for him, talked about his hamstrings, his injuries, but frankly, despite this being a simple piece in the local paper, it reveals enough to explain the sudden loss of form we all witnessed from him. He is at least pretty much admitting that, and not to give us 100% is a real kick in the teeth as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
This. I can't believe how bitter some fans are. All players move at sometime or another, and if it is to a higher division, of course they want to go. Only fans are loyal.

Not disputing they want to go for a higher division. Nobody can blame them for that. But it's the manner in which they do it.
Even Ashley Barnes played his socks off in that last game for us before he left so I've got no problem with players leaving if it's a better deal for them.
It's just the way that players like Bridcutt and now Buckley have basically taken the p**s until they get their own way and appear to say "sod you, I'm off".

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not disputing they want to go for a higher division. Nobody can blame them for that. But it's the manner in which they do it.
Even Ashley Barnes played his socks off in that last game for us before he left so I've got no problem with players leaving if it's a better deal for them.
It's just the way that players like Bridcutt and now Buckley have basically taken the p**s until they get their own way and appear to say "sod you, I'm off".

I agree the way they left was wrong but on the other hand, I don't want them to fail at their new clubs. It was sad that both of them felt they had to sulk, but good luck to them now they've gone.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

100% agree. Really hope both Ashley and Leo do well. Even got Leo in my dream team. Bridcutt and Buckley Both went to Sunderland, to a manager that showed the club zero respect when he left, so it should not be a surprise really.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think you and [MENTION=17377]leigull[/MENTION] are missing the point. I have absolutely no problem with a player who has given 100% moving onto to bigger and better things. I will look out for Ulloa all season and hope he has a great season. Ulloa visibly tried up until his last kick as far as I'm concerned.

Where I think you are both wrong is that WB notably went completely off the boil, rarely impressed when we needed him most, and kept physios busier than he did defenders. We made excuses for him, talked about his hamstrings, his injuries, but frankly, despite this being a simple piece in the local paper, it reveals enough to explain the sudden loss of form we all witnessed from him. He is at least pretty much admitting that, and not to give us 100% is a real kick in the teeth as far as I'm concerned.

I do understand the point you are making. But I think people are jumping to too many conclusions and too much is being read into a crappy interview with a local journo. Of which we have no idea the full transcript of. It's solely designed for some nice soundbites for the fans of his new club.

His injuries have spanned his whole career, so not sure there's been any change there, and effort is rather subjective, but I don't remember anyone calling him lazy when he played. Granted he might not have played that well in many games, but neither did a lot of the team. Could put him in the same bracket as Lua Lua for hit and miss performances and injuries.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Maybe he should have tried to be effective in the championship first instead of giving up and wanting a move to the premier league.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I do understand the point you are making. But I think people are jumping to too many conclusions and too much is being read into a crappy interview with a local journo. Of which we have no idea the full transcript of. It's solely designed for some nice soundbites for the fans of his new club.

His injuries have spanned his whole career, so not sure there's been any change there, and effort is rather subjective, but I don't remember anyone calling him lazy when he played. Granted he might not have played that well in many games, but neither did a lot of the team. Could put him in the same bracket as Lua Lua for hit and miss performances and injuries.

It is subjective of course, but I remember many after and pre-game conversations at the start of this year wondering what had happened to Buckley. Where had his spark gone. I honestly said to several people around me that he never wanted the ball as much as he did, he'd visibly stand where he couldn't receive the ball, and never appeared to want to cut outside to take on his man. Perhaps I should bounce some threads because I remember commenting on some of them talking about how Giggs had to stop running full pelt to protect his hamstrings - looking for at least some explanation to his dramatic loss of form, and for that matter interest in the game.

He really didn't look the same player. I can also take your point about it being a local piece, but even if they're soundbites, they completely explain the above to me now.

Perhaps the acid test will be if he goes on to really perform for Sunderland and remain largely injury free. If he does, then I'll be even more convinced he just couldn't be arse to play for us from January onward.

Shoppers

Jul 14, 2013
Let's get it right Buckley's attitude stinks, he should return his wages an any bonus payments for last year.

Fact Barnes went through abuse from certain supporters but always gave 100% even though he wanted to leave. Elliot Bennett move to Norwich in the January window was stopped by Poyet yet did he sulk? Maybe but not on the pitch he,if anything, played better and was player of the season.

Yes all players want to play at the highest level but only a few real players appreciate it takes their effort and they respect the supporter who turn out to watch them.Look what lambet did when he left Southampton for his beloved Liverpool, respect is earned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Until Gus left Buckley was a real asset. After last season though I'm glad we're shot of him and got a decent fee, it was pretty obvious his heart wasn't here anymore. More gutted to have lost Ashley Barnes tbh, nobody can accuse him of holding back, shirking or feigning injury.

Onwards and upwards, although I will be interested to see if Buckley gets injured after playing less than 4 consecutive games, as he did here last season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't read his comments as quite as bad as many of you. He admits the interest from Sunderland affected him, but he didn't want it to.
“I wanted to play in the Premier League and when Gus showed interest, obviously it turned my head straightaway,” he said.

“It was really close in January and it went right to the last day.

“I tried not to think about moving on because you can’t do that when you are playing week in and week out.
“But, at the end of the day, it probably does affect you because it is in the back of your mind.
“I tried to carry on as though I was going to be at Brighton for a long time, because I was under contract.
“But when clubs come in for you – especially from the Premier League – you do get a bit distracted, so it probably was at the back of my mind for the last part of last season.
“It has been a tough six months.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think a distracted and injury prone Will Buckley is still a better bet than Mackail-Smith and I am not going to moan because I would like him back , if possible.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Some players really wind me up..,Why we paid that dickhead around 10k a week,he says he wasn't happy and wasn't motivated.Its just shocking and a bloody joke how pampered players are these days,wish i could sulk at work and have 5 months off sick and get 10k a week,****.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't read his comments as quite as bad as many of you. He admits the interest from Sunderland affected him, but he didn't want it to.

I think he's lucky that Gus came back in for him on the back of 4 1/2 months of mailing in his performances for us. I expect him to have the sort of impact on the Prem that Paul Brooker had with Leicester. Could come back to haunt us in the Championship if he's loaned back to a Boro or Forest.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Buckley has his move,and good luck to him.He would be wise to remember,after the Premier League,its downhill . Occasional appearances ,hamstrings allowing,may not be enough .

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Laughable comments on this thread. He had a Premier league club come in for him, he got distracted and lost his way. Probably wished he could have handled it better, and stayed focused until they came back for him in the summer. Now he is the anti- Christ.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports