Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will a lack of discipline be our downfall?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
One of the Rochdale defenders was having a bit of a dig at Murray yesterday, I was just waiting for him to turn round and do something back, incurring a booking. Fair play to him that he didn't.

Winding up our players seems to be a common tactic by the opposition as our bad boy reputation has spread. Targetting Murray and now Greer produces results.

I think the problem on top of the discipline is that, soon enough, teams will just turn up to wind us up on the pitch and con refs based upon our reputation, Gus does need to address this issue. We do not have a large enough squad to swallow these bookings up. By the way, are we allowed at any point to recall Tunnicliffe or McNulty? because i think we may have to if we do not get more quality signings in the next few days.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think the problem on top of the discipline is that, soon enough, teams will just turn up to wind us up on the pitch and con refs based upon our reputation

Doesn't explain the Portugal abandoned match farce which was ridiculously swept under the carpet as a show of team spirit. Maybe if the players had been made to reimburse the expenses of the travelling support then a suitable message might have been sent out. Instead, its more moronic red cards, exactly the same as last season, ensuring that an already thin squad is rendered even thinner.

Doesn't explain the Portugal abandoned match farce which was ridiculously swept under the carpet as a show of team spirit. Maybe if the players had been made to reimburse the expenses of the travelling support then a suitable message might have been sent out. Instead, its more moronic red cards, exactly the same as last season, ensuring that an already thin squad is rendered even thinner.

I totally agree, I meant that teams are probably now wised up that we are easy to wind up so making it even easier for us to put ourselves in trouble. I am under no illusion that we just need to clean our act up

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
People have been saying that this is a repeat of the start of last season, but I think actually on the disciplinary side it is worse - the 3 sendings off in the first 4 games of last season were all personal fouls from recollection, rather than petulant strike outs at players.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My concern over our disciplinary record is the nature of most of the bookings and sending offs. As others have said, the vast majority are for petulance and silly little things that the players really shouldn't be getting themselves involved in. Get yourself a reputation for that and other teams are sure to play on it.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a physical team, especially as we still play nice passing football anyway. Opposition teams need to know that we won't be rolled over if they come with a physical approach. However, the silly off the ball stuff really needs to stop as it could well prove costly in terms of results.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The winding up of our players is obviously well known as Elding came on with what appearred to be instruction to 'get Greer' as he rushed straight at him and barged into him thus provoking the retaliation.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
We are not a dirty side at all. Quite the opposite. Unfortunately we seem to have one or two petulant wankers in the side who let their team mates down. Murray was the worst for that last season, and sadly it appears that Greer may fall into that category too.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It is a team ethic thing. Somehow players feel they can do it with none of the disapproval that follows. But if we can' keep players on the field we are shafted. It is not just the game - but the subsequent games without the player. Get it sorted Gus.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A certain London club had an appalling disciplinary record a few years ago with reds. You see we REALLY ARE the division one version of Arsenal now in more ways than one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here