Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Wilko on brink of collapse

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I remember last time I went in the Eastbourne branch, about a year ago, it was dreadful. Like stepping back in time. The shelves were bare. I was surprised they were still going at that point.

As always, thoughts are with the staff on the ground losing their jobs.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Old people. Old people that will be dead soon.

Charming!

Wilko's is a great place for thingamyjigs and whatchamacallits — that sort of stuff. But I feared the worst about a year ago when I found their home-brew shelves permanently almost empty. Good for cheap gardening bits and pieces but, as someone said, an endangered species in the Amazon era.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember last time I went in the Eastbourne branch, about a year ago, it was dreadful. Like stepping back in time. The shelves were bare. I was surprised they were still going at that point.

As always, thoughts are with the staff on the ground losing their jobs.
Not necessarily. Bon Marché went into admin but were bought and are still open. Liquidation is the end.

As pointed out previously in this thread, The Range and B&M do the same but better.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Gardening and DIY bits and bobs , they used to do screws and bolts pick'n'mix by the polythene bag which was a fantastic bargain if filled to the max ..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I've been in Wilko Worthing several times, but I don't think I've ever bought anything in there.

What do you buy from Wilko?

UK homeware retailer Wilko has warned that it is on the brink of collapse, putting some 12,000 jobs at risk.​
The privately-owned company said it had filed a "notice of intention" to appoint administrators after failing to find enough emergency investment.​
Wilko, which has 400 UK stores across the UK, is well-known for its affordable everyday items.​
They did a damn good Squeedgy

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I spent ages going round Runcorn recently trying to find a 'Mothering Sunday' (not Mother's Day) card and after going in about 10 different stores, I finally found on in Wilko. That said, I don't think I've been in a Wilko since I lived in Burgess Hill 25 years ago, so I probably haven't helped their financial situation.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Wilko let in dogs and I took mine in whilst the kids bought pick and mix for our trip to the cinema in the afternoon. Whilst we saved a tenner over and above the extortionate rates at cineripoff world, this was wiped out by the 300 quid vets bill caused by the dog eating chocolate raisens my crack handed son dropped on the floor.

FFS. Ban dogs from shops.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Until I saw the 'k' I thought you were referring to the band Wilco !!
Pfui!

1692127426081.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here