Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wilkins O'Meter

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If were in the relegation zone come october, will you still be the giving the monkey till christmas? :dunce:

Why not? Unless it were obvious that his position was untenable. Should every club sack managers when the club is in the relegation zone less than 3 months into the season?

Are you saying we should have sacked McGhee earlier than we did?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
10 managers in 10 years, and you wanna fire another one :shutup:

So he made some money in the transfer market, still got us relegated showing near to no fight.

And to be fair-he got us through the playoffs and promoted showing a massive amount of fight and also kept us in the Championship when we had no right to stay up with the squad we had.

Just adding some balance....

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Real Question

The real question is not about McGhee - that is gone now and should be forgotten.

The real question should be "is Wilkins the best man for the job now?". In order to answer that ask yourself hypothetically, for example, if Mickey Adams was manager now would results improve? Would he get the existing players playing better than they are now? And would he bring in better players on a bargain? (And this is not just about Adams - he is just an example.)

I think that will give you your answer. Football is a success based business and you have to be ruthless. It seems there are people on here who will back the manager to the hilt - whoever he is and whatever he does. They then tell eveyone else with different opinions to go away and support someone else. I remember Ian Hart passionately backing Jeff Wood no matter how long the losing run went on.

The end result of such attitudes is failure (and no supporters, and perhaps no club). Continue to back Wilkins if that is what you want. Others (including me) do not.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Games 3
Won 1 - 33%
Drawn 0
Lost 2 - 67%
For 3
Against 4

Wilkins O'Meter 4 ( up from 2 )

I was one of the die hards, 9 seasons in a row. The first 70 minutes was woeful to be honest, Its difficult to judge Wilkins as he bottled it and sat with Dickall game , again !. I will therefore put the win down to the superb Ian Chapman who was the one directing things from the touchline. Wilkins can sit with Knight all season if he wants and Ian can be given the managers job.

The attendance was shocking, there were huge swaythe's of empty seats around me where a couple of years ago there were none.

The team showed encouraging signs of great team spirit for he last 20 minutes and Elphick was superb. He looks like the person we have been missing so much since Cullip left , however Forster was absolutely woeful and made Slow Joe look like Drogba.

Reasonable enertainment value and the " best " game for a while.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All I'll say is that Spielberg's unreasonable anti-Wilkins rant is no more and no less irriating as the unreasonable anti-McGhee rants that started nearly a full season before he got the boot.

Spielberg, could you do you and everybody else a favour by giving him at least until Christmas before you spout another shit thread along the same lines as this.

I agree with Simster on both counts.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
there were huge swaythe's of empty seats around me where a couple of years ago there were none.

Forster was absolutely woeful and made

1) They have a special offer on deodorant at Boots.

2) If we had a midfield then he might have got some service.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
2) If we had a midfield then he might have got some service.

Savage gave him two excellent passes which he messed up by shooting straight at the keeper.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Savage gave him two excellent passes which he messed up by shooting straight at the keeper.

I think I said that earlier, but he was starved for 80 minutes.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I think I said that earlier, but he was starved for 80 minutes.

Strikers sometimes only get a couple of opportunities in a match especially if a defence is good. He had those opportunities and messed them up. Thank goodness Revell didn't.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

To be fair though one of them was slightly behind him so he could not get a full on shot

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Strikers sometimes only get a couple of opportunities in a match especially if a defence is good. He had those opportunities and messed them up. Thank goodness Revell didn't.

Correct Yorkie, it was a shockingly bad home debut from Forster, he looked absolutely awful, from what I have seen Savage is by far the better player but as we have shelled out £ 75000 I suppose Wilkins with play him all season regardless of his performances

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Games 4
Wins 1 - 25%
Draws 0
Losses 3 - 75%

Goals for 3
Goals against 5

Wilkins O'Meter - 2 ( down from 4 )

I did say at the start of the season we only stayed up last season because of a half decent away record and if we do not have the same this season we would be in serious shite. Well 3 away games and 3 defeats is not good, ok we battled for a home win but overall in the second half of last season we had by far the worst home record of the 92 league clubs. Its clear as day that Wilkins in hopelessly out of his depth here and I am increasing worried at him not having the bottle to stand on the touchline and give a managers prescence and instruction but sit in the comfy chairs with the directors, this smacks of losing his bottle, is it because he knows the heat will be on him very soon at home and he does not have the bottle to face it ?. Surely we are sick and tired now of the same lame excuses, the ref lost it for us, we were unlucky, if we had taken our chances etc etc, Saturday he said " if we did what we should have done we would have hung into a 0-0 draw " how very inspiring. Forster looks a lame duck with 0 goals in 4 games so he has wasted the only decent money we had. Sorry but times up and it would be kindest to sideways him to a director of football mark 2 and get someone in who can manage a mans team and have the contacts and motivation and tactical nous to win games and now, Wilkins is associated with us being unlucky losers.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Mr Spielberg is our king of hindsight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
er no, I said 1 year ago that Wilkins was not the man for the job categorically.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Trigger, I have given the guy a hard time but I do not have a track record of giving Albion managers a hard time, in fact quite the reverse I was a staunch supporter of Taylor and McGhee and backed them against NSC abuse, Adams was beyond criticism, you could not argus with Coppell's achievments but I did take issue with him pissing the club about, Horton did a vry good underated job, infact I have only criticised Hinshelwood but the results spoke for themselves and now Wilkins because our great chairman who I have been a total 100% supporter of made a mistake against fan power firstly in sacking a very competant manager and then making it worse by appointing someone totally out of his depth. I do not blame Wilkins, anyone would probably take the job but BHAFC is a business and if you have a business you want the best manager in place to make that business a success. Now he has had a year and it is patently clear he is not up to the task. I just want our grea club to be as successful as it can be and it will never be with Dean in charge, noce bloke and all that, he does not have the killer instinct and his results in the last 20 games have been bottom of the league form.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Played 5
Won 2 - 40%
Drawn 0
Lost 3 - 60%
For 6
Against 8

Wilkins O'Meter 5 ( up from 2 )

This could have been so different as the meter for the season was reading 1 with 20 minutes to go but credit were its due, Wilkins made 3 great subs and we battered Southend in the last 20 minutes. I still maintain sitting in the comfy chairs with DK is not the way to motivate and inspire and direct his players but even I have to admit the last 20 was superb and the team showed tremendous team spirit for the second home game in a row to win. Its so frustrating in the first half we looked like a certain relegation team and in the last 20 we looked like we could win the league. I would like to see Savage start Friday. I could feel the old passion and pride coursing through my veins again at the end. Albion forever.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Played 6
Won 3 - 50%
Drawn 0
Lost 3 - 50%
For 9
Against 9

Wilkins O'Meter for season 8 ( up from 5 )

The first half of football was in my opinion the best football Brighton & Hove Albion have played since they came back to Withdean 8 years ago. The football was breathtaking. Brighton absolutely battered Millwall. If it were a boxing match the Millwall corner would have thrown in the towel after 30 minutes. Several players excelled themselves, Cox was outstanding with a wonder goal, Hammond is developing again into a top midfielder , both those players could hold their own in the Championship. The desire to get the ball, play attacking football and win was there for all to see. The second half was inevitably not up to the first half, how could it be , but it was in a similar vein. Millwall huffed and puffed without doing anything and we could have scored 2 or 3 more. To say we could have won 7-0 is not a ridiculous statement. The first 3 home games have seen a HUGE improvement on last season with a desire to win and collective team spirit not seen for some time. I still worry about Wilkins not being on the touchline. I like to see a manager during the game and how he reacts it tell a lot, my fear for him is that if we continue to play like we did yesterday we would have a chance of winning this league and he is out of sight out of mind.

Wilkins O'Meter 10 ( last night )
Wilkins O'Meter 8 ( season so far )

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here