Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wigan fc

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not really sure what the answer is for these types of clubs without having a wealthy benefactor in place willing to prop up millions of pounds of losses. Live with your means I guess

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I’m not really sure what the answer is for these types of clubs without having a wealthy benefactor in place willing to prop up millions of pounds of losses. Live with your means I guess
I agree, living within their means will probably see them drop to Confrence North ,but atleast the locals will still have a club to support.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People have always mocked Wigan but when I was a kid they were a club averaging 1200 and playing in a cabbage patch.

Since the 90s, Whelan's millions built them a stadium but their support isn't all that far off near-neighbours Bolton these days. They've also had years in the top flight and won a trophy. Much bigger clubs like Bristol City, Plymouth, Preston (and until recently, ourselves) would kill for a sustained run in the top flight and trophy.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wigan FC sounds like what they may become 😬

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Over the weekend the sports media and again R5 today all about Citeh this lot are genuinely not interested one bit in what is happening outside The EPL. As for the fit and proper persons test someone is having a laugh.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Over the weekend the sports media and again R5 today all about Citeh this lot are genuinely not interested one bit in what is happening outside The EPL. As for the fit and proper persons test someone is having a laugh.
What’s the owner done wrong ? Except seemingly run out of money or not want to keep propping up losses of over £1M a month ? I’m not sure what people expect from a fit and person test

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What’s the owner done wrong ? Except seemingly run out of money or not want to keep propping up losses of over £1M a month ? I’m not sure what people expect from a fit and person test
Yes, you're right. It's the league structure and disparities between league that encourage this sort of reckless risk taking which is the issue

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
From an Albion point of view, that's a bit like a lottery winner who bought a ticket out of their Universal Credit payment telling a family with no job prospects to stop moaning.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
From an Albion point of view, that's a bit like a lottery winner who bought a ticket out of their Universal Credit payment telling a family with no job prospects to stop moaning.
Indeed. But that’s the reality unless you’re fortunate enough to have an owner with deep pockets and a real love for the club then losing £7.7M a year in second division with gates of 12,000 isn’t sustainable or sensible.

And to be fair even I’ve been a bit critical of the losses we made to get promoted

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thing is, unless a potential owner has an actual track record of dubious financial shenanigans and/or convictions, then what are the EFL to do ? They don't have a looking glass any more than anyone else. Should they block a potential takeover that could (at that point) save the club from oblivion ?

Its not like any of us lot had an inkling of what Ar***r and B*****i were going to inflict on BHA when they came to control the club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hope they come out of this, apparently there are parties interested in buying them.

Always fondly remember their fans singing ‘good luck to the Albion’ in our penultimate gme at the Goldstone. Good luck to the Latics.
I certainly have some sympathy with that and their fans were decent before the promotion game too.

Ultimately, @Springal makes a really good point though. There are so many clubs in Lancashire that they are all one town clubs, whereas we have a huge catchment area. If all the town are supporters like Burnley, you can still have a decent crowd. But Wigan is a Rugby League town and their attendance and spending should both reflect that. If only one of them does then you’re in trouble

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I certainly have some sympathy with that and their fans were decent before the promotion game too.

Ultimately, @Springal makes a really good point though. There are so many clubs in Lancashire that they are all one town clubs, whereas we have a huge catchment area. If all the town are supporters like Burnley, you can still have a decent crowd. But Wigan is a Rugby League town and their attendance and spending should both reflect that. If only one of them does then you’re in trouble
But equally, very few businesses start off making a profit from day one. As such, is it fair to be critical of anyone taking on a football club while absorbing significant losses? I don't think so.

People take on football club for a myriad of reasons - giving back to the community, personal glory, living the dream, a sense of duty, or just profit and business reasons.

The best fit and proper tests ever put together will not prevent financial difficulty from time to time I'm afraid. You can't really argue Dave Whelan - a former pro who became a.successful businessman - wasn't a force for the good in that town, regardless of the difficulty they now find themselves in.

I hope Wigan can find a way out of the financial difficulties they are in now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What happened to
Fit? He's hardlly fit, he once broke his leg.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Not saying it is case for Wigan but far to many pro clubs close to each other in that area. Take Salford for eg Money put in by ex Utd players but when they lose interest that will be in trouble. It is under 3 miles to Old Trafford. When Bury went bust read 10 pro clubs within 15 miles

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here