Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wigan chairman to quit if FA finds him guilty of racism

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
. Also, most working class people don't put flags all over their house and leave them there for months. Guildford has council estates.

Most people on council estates, even those in Guildford, don't have a mum who was mayor and a dad who was Assistant Secretary General of the UN.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Rural Sussex is a bit of a backwater in these matters tho eh? Used to be always be gobsmacked on the way to Fontwell races by the sign above the Labour In Vain pub in Westergate. Good place for a pre-race lunch. Think the sign, and possibly the pub, is gone now, but only in the last ten years or so.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Most people on council estates, even those in Guildford, don't have a mum who was mayor and a dad who was Assistant Secretary General of the UN.

I know I could google this, but why did she live on a council estate? Was this a very short-term thing?

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
Tell you what, why dont you go up to the next black bloke you see and call him a negro. I'm pretty certain, one way or another, you will find out if it's offensive or not.

Yes , because I'm in the habit of walking up to total strangers in the street and referring to them by their race, I take it this reply is your substitute for a satisfactory answer.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

'Mum' and 'Dad' divorced when she was 7 and were evicted from the family home. Mum was a teacher and didn't become Mayor until Emily THornberry was 30!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I suspect she's had a hand in writing her Wikipedia page as it's remarkably silent on this. I have no idea but I'm curious.

Not only sneery, but possibly needlessly occupying property that someone else could have used? I can imagine the Assistant Secretary General of the UN living on an estate, but not a council one.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
She was clearly aiming to portray the householder as a chav. I'm pretty sure most of Labour's ruling North London junta would have had a quiet snigger. Before it bit them majorly in the bum and possibly cost them the election.
Yeah that's right I was there. Ed Miliband said 'ha ha ha nice one Emily. Imagine being like that eh? Oh by the way, you're fired'.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I suspect she's had a hand in writing her Wikipedia page as it's remarkably silent on this. I have no idea but I'm curious.

Her parents, a teacher and a law professor at the LSE, divorced when she was seven. She remembers the bailiffs who ejected them from their home, and moving with her mother and siblings to social housing in Guildford. They were raised on benefits, secondhand clothes, free school dinners, food parcels; often, she says, they couldn't afford to heat the house.

Her mother became a Labour councillor and later a mayor; she joined the party, she says, because "it wasn't fair that things had been so hard". She failed the eleven-plus, went to a secondary modern, and had to do courses to get enough A-levels to go to Kent University, where she read law (she met her husband at law school, over a game of bridge).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/19/emily-thornberry-islington-mps-expenses

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Not only sneery, but possibly needlessly occupying property that someone else could have used? I can imagine the Assistant Secretary General of the UN living on an estate, but not a council one.

Her parents, a teacher and a law professor at the LSE, divorced when she was seven. She remembers the bailiffs who ejected them from their home, and moving with her mother and siblings to social housing in Guildford. They were raised on benefits, secondhand clothes, free school dinners, food parcels; often, she says, they couldn't afford to heat the house.

Her mother became a Labour councillor and later a mayor; she joined the party, she says, because "it wasn't fair that things had been so hard". She failed the eleven-plus, went to a secondary modern, and had to do courses to get enough A-levels to go to Kent University, where she read law (she met her husband at law school, over a game of bridge).

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/may/19/emily-thornberry-islington-mps-expenses

Thanks for the info - I take my snidey (sneery?) inferences back. Caught by the safety net and worked her way up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think she was very foolish for the tweet and I would question her credibility if she sends her kids to private school, but she was not sneering at the working class because 1. She says she IS working class and 2. Not all working class people drape massive St George's flags over their houses for months.
No they don't, but it's not exactly a middle class symbol is it? And I could be wrong but I don't think she mentioned the time it had been there, it's simply that the combination of St George's flag and white van usually indicate to her sort* that the inhabitant is simply beyond the pale. He probably reads the Sun and drinks cheap lager as well I bet.

*If she IS working class originally then she is a class traitor. Come the revolution the likes of her and the Kinnocks will be the first up against the wall. Bang! Bang! Bang! Looking forward to it!

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Neither, care to answer mine ?

If the question is "Are the terms negro/negroid/coloured now regarded as offensive/racist?" then the answer is most definitely yes. They have been for some time and I'm pretty surprised that anyone who engages with the modern world wouldn't know that. If the question is "who decided they are offensive/racist terms?" then I'd guess the answer is those that were being offended decided.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009

buzzer has commented that he suspects she had a hand in writing her wikipedia page , I also suspect she has exaggerated the modesty of her background, labour MPs have form for this , I can remember when Michael meacher sued, and lost against the observer for accusing him of lying, he liked to claim he was the son of an agricultural labourer , in reality he was public school educated and his father was an accountant.

Last edited:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Interesting. Fair play to her. Alan Johnson expressed surprise about her tweet - saying that she was from a council estate. Andrews Rawnsley wrote an interesting analysis

Was Emily Thornberry foolish to tweet a picture of a house in Strood draped with St George’s flags and a white van parked outside? Obviously, it didn’t show the judgment that you might hope to find in someone with ambitions to be attorney general. She dug a deeper pit for herself with her initial explanation that she had found the sight “remarkable”. But most revealing of all about the state of the Labour party was the manner in which it reacted. Some of her colleagues swiftly joined, and thus validated, the attacks on her by agreeing with critics from the right that the tweet was an expression of smug metropolitan snootiness towards the working class. She was then sacked by Ed Miliband in an act of late-night panic.

A leader in a strong position would have ridden out a Twitter storm; it tells us just how embattled Mr Miliband feels that he felt forced to sacrifice one of his earliest supporters. His subsequent interviews about blokes in white vans, in which he solemnly spoke of his “respect” for them as if they were D-Day veterans, was also a display of vulnerability. It showed us how much he fears the charge that he is out of touch.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
If the question is "Are the terms negro/negroid/coloured now regarded as offensive/racist?" then the answer is most definitely yes. They have been for some time and I'm pretty surprised that anyone who engages with the modern world wouldn't know that. If the question is "who decided they are offensive/racist terms?" then I'd guess the answer is those that were being offended decided.
i doubt it , its probably the sort of person who asks for coffee without milk instead of black coffee that's decided that its 'offensive'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
buzzer has commented that he suspects she had a hand in writing her wikipedia page , I also suspect she has exaggerated the modesty of her background, labour MPs have form for this , I can remember when Michael teacher sued, and lost against the observer for accusing him of lying, he liked to claim he was the son of an agricultural labourer , in reality he was public school educated and his father was an accountant.

Labour MP Chuka Umunna had a Wikipedia entry addition once describing him as the 'British Obama', the curious thing was it seems to have originated from his office. Funny that.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...ntry-came-from-his-former-office-8569083.html

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
buzzer has commented that he suspects she had a hand in writing her wikipedia page , I also suspect she has exaggerated the modesty of her background, labour MPs have form for this , I can remember when Michael teacher sued, and lost against the observer for accusing him of lying, he liked to claim he was the son of an agricultural labourer , in reality he was public school educated and his father was an accountant.

She may well have but the divorce, losing the family home and growing up on a council estate are a matter of public record. 'Food parcels'? Well who knows.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here