Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why you should try to avoid shopping at Amazon

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I ordered 2 items late on Thursday and they arrived before 9am today on a 5 day service. Quality stuff at a very cheap price. There's no way I'll stop using them.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I ordered 2 items late on Thursday and they arrived before 9am today on a 5 day service. Quality stuff at a very cheap price. There's no way I'll stop using them.

Can't be argued with can it. Despite myself I use them because it's a convenient and cheaper way to shop. This cannot be disregarded as all companies have plus points and that's a huge plus. I don't have kids but I have 9 nephews and nieces all aged from 6 - 17 yrs and they are who I buy for at Christmas. The kind of things they like and the cost of such things, ranging from manuals for various music creating software to weird, furry, electronic pets don't come cheap on the high street. So for those elves slaving away at Amazon HQ this year please know it's not in vain, there are 9 little Nibblets out there who appreciate your hard work and one Nibble who appreciates being able to enjoy a pint of Weston's Old Rosy while spending a total of 45 minutes in the comfort of my home getting all my shopping done.

There are clearly more in and outs to it than this but it's very hard to disagree that there is simply no earthbound reason why everyone who has a job of any description shouldn't enjoy a decent standard of living without help from the benefit system, whatever one's level of education. I'm not talking about everyone being millionaires or even having the holy grail of 250 a week to spend on pizza and Hagen Dasz but enough not to have a constant financial strain. That may sound idealistic and perhaps it is but I personally find it hard to see just why so many working people are having to struggle. If you are willing to go to work as a warehouse worker or a lecturer in quantum dynamics, while one will clearly earn more than the other both deserve a level of financial and job security.

To put this in context - the average wage in 2012 was £26,664. The average gross value added per employee was £43,430. The vast majority of the difference between the two (£16,766) is profit. Clearly across much of the economy owners and shareholders are making a substantial wedge off a little bit of risk-taking.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
This has to be a wind up? using this board is a leisure activity surely, if you look closely enough everyone on here has talked some bollocks including you.

Fair enough. Although I do feel obliged to point out, that if someone is applying for a job with me, and we are both prone to talk bollocks, I'm very sorry to say that in those particular circumstances (and possibly only those circumstances) then my bollocks trump his bollocks.

Jan 30, 2008
Fair enough. Although I do feel obliged to point out, that if someone is applying for a job with me, and we are both prone to talk bollocks, I'm very sorry to say that in those particular circumstances (and possibly only those circumstances) then my bollocks trump his bollocks.
are they that big then billy big bollocks ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Absolutely this!

I do use Amazon as well as other online retailers, and due to the price of the items being sold cheaper than our own High Street stores I will continue to carry on doing so. It's human nature to save money and that's not going to alter in the near future.

However, this will ultimately put people out of work because these High Street stores are disappearing before our very eyes. I give it 20 years max and there won't be any High street stores remaining even in larger towns and cities. Lewes is an absolute joke of a town to shop in nowadays so we have to shop online or travel away. You can't even buy underwear here anymore! The going rate for renting a shop isn't financially viable, so the town is dying a slow and painful death. Unless you want a 'posh' coffee and then buy some 2nd hand clothes then forget it.

Amazon may not be around forever but someone else will take over when they have gone.
Hugh rae's IN THE HIGHT STREET FOR GENTS UNDERPANTS ??? or are you walking about commando ???
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
30 minutes if you live close enough to the distribution point. These things don't fly fast.

what you do is have regional even town based depots, so everyone will live pretty close. for those not paying attention, this is the sort of thing why Amazon doesnt record a profit, spending gobs on research and development. robots at the warehouses, robots for delivery, deals with the problems of those horrible low pay jobs doesnt it?

(personally, i dont reckon it'll work well in wet or windy conditions, so limited application)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here