Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why was the Calais thread moved to "Other Stuff"?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
One of the biggest issues facing the UK at the moment and the leading headline on the 10 o'clock news tonight.

I didn't see anything especially controversial on that thread that would cause it to be moved?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Thankyou for drawing my attention to the thread.

Having read it.......cannot see a reason to move it to "the other stuff"..?

It has the usual culprits who never actually understand that the vast majority of these illegal immigrants are not fleeing wars....they just want a better life/standard of living for themselves. They want us to be sympathetic to their cause....but they don't appear to have been very sympathetic to those they left behind in their country of origin.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
One of the biggest issues facing the UK at the moment and the leading headline on the 10 o'clock news tonight.

I didn't see anything especially controversial on that thread that would cause it to be moved?

Did you miss the post about nuking Calais? Perhaps the Mods thought that this explosive post was a little over the top?

or perhaps they foresaw the future and predicted the whole thing would end up in a hate and abuse filled binfest

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Did you miss the post about nuking Calais? Perhaps the Mods thought that this explosive post was a little over the top?

or perhaps they foresaw the future and predicted the whole thing would end up in a hate and abuse filled binfest

Yes, admittedly I did miss the post about nuking Calais. I do feel massive sympathy for the citizens of Calais having this living nightmare dumped on their doorsteps though. Couldn't imagine raising my family in that town.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Thankyou for drawing my attention to the thread.

Having read it.......cannot see a reason to move it to "the other stuff"..?

It has the usual culprits who never actually understand that the vast majority of these illegal immigrants are not fleeing wars....they just want a better life/standard of living for themselves. They want us to be sympathetic to their cause....but they don't appear to have been very sympathetic to those they left behind in their country of origin.

How many are economic migrants? And how do you know this?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Yes, admittedly I did miss the post about nuking Calais. I do feel massive sympathy for the citizens of Calais having this living nightmare dumped on their doorsteps though. Couldn't imagine raising my family in that town.

Did you also miss that the link posted is in fact about a strike not Asylum seekers? I would suspect that a large part of the reason it was moved is that the OP was using a story about one thing to further their own agenda.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Did you also miss that the link posted is in fact about a strike not Asylum seekers? I would suspect that a large part of the reason it was moved is that the OP was using a story about one thing to further their own agenda.

No, I didn't miss that. But the story today wasn't about a strike in France - they happen all the time.
The story today was that the strike precipitated an almost 'Wild West' lawlessness of migrants climbing into trucks at will and wandering down motorways trying door after door of queuing vehicles at will. The situation is untenable and immediate and decisive action is needed to bring it to a swift conclusion.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
No, I didn't miss that. But the story today wasn't about a strike in France - they happen all the time.
The story today was that the strike precipitated an almost 'Wild West' lawlessness of migrants climbing into trucks at will and wandering down motorways trying door after door of queuing vehicles at will. The situation is untenable and immediate and decisive action is needed to bring it to a swift conclusion.

I agree although i can't see that happening anytime soon. We are currently in the worst refugee situation since world war two.

sten

sister ray
Jul 14, 2003
eastside
How many are economic migrants? And how do you know this?

well if they were refugees surely they would have their families with them and be seeking the nearest border to seek asylum

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I agree although i can't see that happening anytime soon. We are currently in the worst refugee situation since world war two.

I don't know much, but I know that a rapidly deteriorating situation requires a straightforward plan and the resolve to carry it through to conclusion or it will only get worse.

So far as Calais is concerned the French and British military should put the people in 3 temporary internment camps and between now and the end of the summer deport every single one back to their country of origin. This will deter others, give Calais back to the people who live there and allow hauliers to get back to their lawful business.

Do nothing and there will be 10'000 migrants camped there by the end of September. This time next year - 20'000?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One dodgy / controversial post - about nuking Calais. Probably not meant seriously, and probably alcohol related. Why not just delete the offending post?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Did you read the link in its entirety

"Migrant activity is reported to have increased, with people attempting to board Kent-bound lorries in France.
The Foreign Office has warned travellers to keep their car doors locked in slow moving traffic heading back to the UK.
Tensions over illegal migrants at Calais have been rising, with the deputy mayor of the town blaming the British government for the number of people trying to board lorries.
Philippe Mignonet told BBC Radio Kent: "We will block the port - as simple as that. We'll arrange to block the tunnel if nothing is done".
Immigration minister James Brokenshire said the government had increased border security in both Calais and Dover.
"Border force are stepping up deployments in northern France and also at Dover as well with enhanced screening," he said.
"Ultimately it is for the French authorities to assure security and safety in France.
"We have been advised the French authorities are sending further policing to deal with law and order issues, and we will be keeping in close contact with them in the hours ahead."

Seems the link and story was about two things,firstly the strike and secondly the inevitable chaotic scenes with the migrants that are a common occurrence everytime there is some major disruption near the channel crossings

Bit rich saying the OP had an agenda when both stories are there in black and white

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't know much, but I know that a rapidly deteriorating situation requires a straightforward plan and the resolve to carry it through to conclusion or it will only get worse.

So far as Calais is concerned the French and British military should put the people in 3 temporary internment camps and between now and the end of the summer deport every single one back to their country of origin. This will deter others, give Calais back to the people who live there and allow hauliers to get back to their lawful business.

Do nothing and there will be 10'000 migrants camped there by the end of September. This time next year - 20'000?

There have been asylum seekers at Calais for over 10 years. Why do you expect that there will be such a huge surge in numbers in the coming year?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

"Migrant activity is reported to have increased, with people attempting to board Kent-bound lorries in France.
The Foreign Office has warned travellers to keep their car doors locked in slow moving traffic heading back to the UK.
Tensions over illegal migrants at Calais have been rising, with the deputy mayor of the town blaming the British government for the number of people trying to board lorries.
Philippe Mignonet told BBC Radio Kent: "We will block the port - as simple as that. We'll arrange to block the tunnel if nothing is done".
Immigration minister James Brokenshire said the government had increased border security in both Calais and Dover.
"Border force are stepping up deployments in northern France and also at Dover as well with enhanced screening," he said.
"Ultimately it is for the French authorities to assure security and safety in France.
"We have been advised the French authorities are sending further policing to deal with law and order issues, and we will be keeping in close contact with them in the hours ahead."

Seems the link and story was about two things,firstly the strike and secondly the inevitable chaotic scenes with the migrants that are a common occurrence everytime there is some major disruption near the channel crossings

Bit rich saying the OP had an agenda when both stories are there in black and white

I watched the evening news where they had a reporters in Calais, Dover and St Pancreas. The reporter in Calais was disturbed that the French were doing nothing to stop the migrants trying to board lorries etc, he insinuated that the French were encouraging them to come to the UK to get rid of the problem. I did not see families, just mainly young men which could point to non asylum seekers.
This is happening about 22 miles away, not the other side of the world, so the concern of the people that live here is justified.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Yes i realise that, I was just offering a suggestion as to why it was moved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here