Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why the obsession with the John Lewis Xmas advert?!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well I thought it was really excellent.

If it makes one person think about a lonely elderly neighbour or family member then it has worked

So many cynics on this board.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

If it makes one person think about a lonely elderly neighbour or family member then it has worked

My reason for posting wasn't to do with the ad content - I haven't seen it so can't comment - It's more about the national 'hysteria' (for want of a better word) surrounding what is just a TV advert. But I'd like to think it wouldn't take a TV ad for me to think of the lonely.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My reason for posting wasn't to do with the ad content - I haven't seen it so can't comment - It's more about the national 'hysteria' (for want of a better word) surrounding what is just a TV advert. But I'd like to think it wouldn't take a TV ad for me to think of the lonely.

1 elderly person dies every 7 minutes in the winter months as just mentioned on the tv. To be honest, the message about society responsibility doesn't get through. If a tv advert helps to jolt people into thinking about others, especially as the supermarket ads tend to be those most on, then surely it is a good thing.

There are so many fluff adverts on for claims direct and phone companies, at least this is trying to appear a bit socially moral.

Good on them.

It's got people talking about it on here for a start

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like it. I have a 93 year old Granny who rarely gets out the house, and it does make me think I should see her more. I guess that's part of the point

1 elderly person dies every 7 minutes in the winter months as just mentioned on the tv. To be honest, the message about society responsibility doesn't get through. If a tv advert helps to jolt people into thinking about others, especially as the supermarket ads tend to be those most on, then surely it is a good thing.

There are so many fluff adverts on for claims direct and phone companies, at least this is trying to appear a bit socially moral.

Good on them.

It's got people talking about it on here for a start

Absolutely.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Last Xmas there was a growing concern for the elderly on their own, but was only given 'airtime' in the two or three days before the festivities began.

I,m very pleased this advert is focussing on this theme much earlier in the run up to Xmas.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Quite right. They should have kept it realistic like the penguin who lived with the kid, or the snowman who went shopping for his missus.

It's all bollocks - lovely, sentimental, thought provoking, but bollocks all the same.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Last Xmas there was a growing concern for the elderly on their own, but was only given 'airtime' in the two or three days before the festivities began.

I,m very pleased this advert is focussing on this theme much earlier in the run up to Xmas.

Yes. Great message.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It's a load of ****ing garbage isn't it. Indicative of modern society in Britain; people are touched by a cliche marketing ploy thought up by some marketing execs on £100k+ yet are completely oblivious to the real-life plights of people around the world. Sad.

To be fair, those £100k+ execs are worth every penny. They have got Radio 5 talking about their ad, half a dozen people in an office crowding round to see it ASAP, you and me posting on a forum about it, hundreds of others reading about it etc etc. Multiply that by 10,000 and you might get some idea of how influential this marketing campaign will be.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
To be fair, those £100k+ execs are worth every penny. They have got Radio 5 talking about their ad, half a dozen people in an office crowding round to see it ASAP, you and me posting on a forum about it, hundreds of others reading about it etc etc. Multiply that by 10,000 and you might get some idea of how influential this marketing campaign will be.

Of course it's great publicity, the ridiculous hype they've managed to build up around their Christmas adverts is astounding; they've got the formula down to a tee.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's all bollocks - lovely, sentimental, thought provoking, but bollocks all the same.

Really?

Are you trying to tell me that a £20 telescope from John Lewis isn't capable of zooming in crystal clear to a tiny crater on the moon? That an old man can't really live on the moon by himself, with no air or food? And that you can't really float presents to the moon with a few balloons?

I feel cheated.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Really?

Are you trying to tell me that a £20 telescope from John Lewis isn't capable of zooming in crystal clear to a tiny crater on the moon? That an old man can't really live on the moon by himself, with no air or food? And that you can't really float presents to the moon with a few balloons?

I feel cheated.

Sorry. I am truly sorry.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

I used to love the old Woolworth's adverts when I was a kid (don't remember this one though) so just revisited a little.

This one looks like it is circa 1978 but look at the prices for some of the things. Nearly 40 years later we can still get similar stuff for around the same price.

Life was expensive back then by the looks of it but I only ever expected one present, not the sackful kids get today.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Filmed in Whitehawk apparently :shrug:

It was indeed, my friends house was decorated and covered with snow for it. You can see their house just before the super telescope zooms in again and finds the girl waving at the man on the moon.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Really?

I feel cheated.

You seem to have spoiled the vast majority of the plot of this film. It seems hardly worth watching it now.

I feel cheated.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm pretty much oblivious to ads as I don't watch ITV, and the only thing I watch on Sky is sports and movies (so largely ad-free for long periods). When ads arrive I either flick or go and do something. I've not seen this latest John Lewis "phenomena", but can't say I feel I'm missing out on anything.

The fact that an advert can actually generate so much genuine interest amongst so many people is something I can't fully get my head around to be honest. Their marketing department must be able to sell sand to the arabs.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Filmed in Whitehawk apparently :shrug:

Yep. It is.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1394...w_Christmas_advert___part_filmed_in_Brighton/

Anyone recognise this street ?
johnlewis.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here