Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why spend the money

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm going to a Bon Jovi tribute act next Friday at the Concourse.
Two hours with me would change your view:rock::drink::rock::O:moo:

Sounds like a cracking night out. Authentic music.....

:lolol:

Brugesboy

Aug 17, 2017
After the Netherlands game where Propper scored, I saw a football talkingshow where an analyst said he got the same question after these games from someone in England. The question was if Brighton was using Propper in the wrong postion, and if he would be better in the number 10 position. The analysts denied from the Dutch league denied this saying number 10 wouldn't suit him, and that he didn't play this position at PSV. His scoring record could be due to the offensive nature of the Dutch league, where they pay less attention to the defensive side to the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you're sure it's bullying name them :moo:

You announced once how you cherished your thumbs up tally, have a look back at page one of this thread for a clue.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Why did we spend the best part of £10m on Propper an then not play him in the position that he was playing in when we bought him and much the same with Izquierdo who we do not play to his strengths.

Maybe because both Kayal and Sidwell had lengthy injuries at the same time, and that Propper being an international player is able to play in more than one position

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe because both Kayal and Sidwell had lengthy injuries at the same time, and that Propper being an international player is able to play in more than one position

Along with Gross being one of the star signings this season while the 4 D's have built up an excellent understanding defending straight down the middle of the pitch.

Other than that, why spend the money?

Edit - Oh delicious Ryan's middle name is David, so make that the 5 D's.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If we had gotten a proper defensive midfielder we could have played both Gross and Propper further forward or at least given them more chances to push up.

Thing is if we can't keep the ball more than 0.2 seconds then one of the deeper 2 can't plod forward to partner Gross very often!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Why did we spend the best part of £10m on Propper an then not play him in the position that he was playing in when we bought him and much the same with Izquierdo who we do not play to his strengths.

You’d play propper instead of gross then would you ?
And as for izquierdo, his strength is speed as he has shown on the wing (at times)
Bit of a brain fart of an opening post tbh

Last edited:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
But Propper is a centre midfielder... he only played no10 for Holland I thought ?

On top of that he is doing great for us in centre midfield, as is Gross in the No10 role.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Ive said it before but Izquierdo is supposedly able to play anywhere across the front line, so play him in the middle, at least give it a go, id back him to win anything over the top of the defence and he certainly isnt afraid to shoot.

As for Propper, hes playing in the correct position as far as im aware, its Stephens who has been a bit of a problem from what ive seen, cant tackle without fouling and his passing has been woeful. Hoping hes just been out of form, he was much better on Saturday although did still give away a free kick on the edge of the box.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fans of Club Brugge have been on here saying he was given a free role to roam and torment the defenders and this brought him 34 goals in 84 games Can you see him matching anything like those figures for us?

If we were playing league matches against KAS Eupen, KV Kortrijk, Zulte Waregen and Royal Excel Mouscron, then yes, I could.

That's the difference, not formations or tactics.

Propper the same - he's used to racking up goals against crap like Roda, Willem II and Sparta Rotterdam.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ive said it before but Izquierdo is supposedly able to play anywhere across the front line, so play him in the middle, at least give it a go, id back him to win anything over the top of the defence and he certainly isnt afraid to shoot.

As for Propper, hes playing in the correct position as far as im aware, its Stephens who has been a bit of a problem from what ive seen, cant tackle without fouling and his passing has been woeful. Hoping hes just been out of form, he was much better on Saturday although did still give away a free kick on the edge of the box.

I rightly or (probably) wrongly I'm chalking keeping Jose out wide down to the gaffer.
Like you I thought we would have seen him as the 'better Baldock' if only temporarily, by now.

I'm guessing CH's natural reservation in the game as well as with new players is stopping him from finishing a game with Jose, Solly and AK up front, with Gross pulling the strings.

(now I've written that I really want to see it)

Also, at the moment, if Jose starts in the middle he'd end up in the right side corner, before he's got his bearings.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's a very good reason for this which is none of our business. SB will be back when its the right time for all concerned. I'm not going to elaborate further as it's already been discussed too much on here already.

He was back for Huddersfield.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Why not, it's not much of a risk and he might be the cheap option we're looking for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here