Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why shouldn't I vote for the Tories?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My son has higher functioning autism, he has been unemployed since leaving college 4 years ago, apart from a few shelf stacking jobs. He isn't stupid, (9 A*/A's at GCSE) but is a bit different, and anyone different, be they sick, disabled or poor, is a target for this party.

There used to be an organisation called Remploy that provided jobs for people with disabilities and special needs. More importantly than that, it gave them self esteem, a sense of purpose and belonging. It was closed down by Ian Duncan Smith, who claimed that nobody did any work there, and such people were undeserving of any sympathy or support from the state.

This is the same Ian Duncan Smith who employed his wife as his 'Diary Secretary' and paid her £15,000 out of taxpayer funds for doing sweet FA, who claimed £39 for breakfast on expenses (and you are paying for it suckers), yet claims that those on £53 a week JSA have it easy, who lives in an eight bedroom mansion with a swimming pool and tennis courts rent free, yet claims the bedroom tax is a necessity. He is the MP for Chingford, yet lives in Bedfordshire, as doesn't want to mingle with the riff-raff amongst his constituents. He is the man who introduced Universal Credit as a 'solution' to benefits, and the scheme has cost £621 million, including a £131 million write off.

There are Tories I have time for, but the likes of IDS are obnoxious, smug satisfied funts who will never get my vote, even though I would probably be better off financially. The reason why? He's 21 years old and has no future.

Thanks for sharing that testimony. It's only by those who are -- or who know people that are -- affected by the Tories assaults on 'the shirkers', 'the skivers', etc sharing such testimonies that others will begin to twig what's going on.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My son has higher functioning autism, he has been unemployed since leaving college 4 years ago, apart from a few shelf stacking jobs. He isn't stupid, (9 A*/A's at GCSE) but is a bit different, and anyone different, be they sick, disabled or poor, is a target for this party.

There used to be an organisation called Remploy that provided jobs for people with disabilities and special needs. More importantly than that, it gave them self esteem, a sense of purpose and belonging. It was closed down by Ian Duncan Smith, who claimed that nobody did any work there, and such people were undeserving of any sympathy or support from the state.

This is the same Ian Duncan Smith who employed his wife as his 'Diary Secretary' and paid her £15,000 out of taxpayer funds for doing sweet FA, who claimed £39 for breakfast on expenses (and you are paying for it suckers), yet claims that those on £53 a week JSA have it easy, who lives in an eight bedroom mansion with a swimming pool and tennis courts rent free, yet claims the bedroom tax is a necessity. He is the MP for Chingford, yet lives in Bedfordshire, as doesn't want to mingle with the riff-raff amongst his constituents. He is the man who introduced Universal Credit as a 'solution' to benefits, and the scheme has cost £621 million, including a £131 million write off.

There are Tories I have time for, but the likes of IDS are obnoxious, smug satisfied funts who will never get my vote, even though I would probably be better off financially. The reason why? He's 21 years old and has no future.
Well said. There is, no doubt, a template response from the other side but I am struggling to think what it could possibly be.

The Conservative Party has always acted primarily in the interests of its already advantaged members and voters (c.35% of a biased sample of the population). That is why you shouldn't vote for them.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Because the last Labour government made everyone so much better off financially!!!!. They inherited a strong economy from the Tories in 1997 and then handed it back in 2010 with the county on the brink of economic collapse. Labour have demonstrated that they can't be trusted with the British economy. I can't think of one time when they have been in power in the last 50 years that there has not been huge financial problems cause by there economic mismanagement.

You're forgetting that the economy was growing in 2010 when it was 'handed back' to the Tories -- something it didn't do for the next three years. You're also forgetting that the Tories weren't exactly advocating reducing the deficit in the run-up to the financial collapse of 2008; instead, they were pimping around slashing the Inheritance Tax.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

And he is not the only one, the amount of snide attacks on the disabled etc that IDS/McVey have slid in are despicable. Of course the 'I'm all right Tory fanboys' on here have an answer for everything and no doubt call your son a shirker but one day they or their children may get ill and need help and they will be the first to scream when they find out nothing is there or they have to wait a year or more for ATOS to assess them and their needs

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I once worked with a woman who voted for John Major because he looked like her brother in law, II'm all for democracy, but some people shouldn't be allowed to vote

A few years ago, I had a couple of girls working for me who changed how they were going to vote on polling day because of the headline on the front page of the Sun.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Well said. Compassion seems to be an alien concept to some people. On a slightly different matter, there was a very interesting article in the paper over the weekend (Guardian or Observer) of an interview with Stephen Dorrell - a thinking Conservative - who admitted proudly to being a wet and who, as a former Health Minister, was very condemning of the current and recent Health Service reforms.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
I'm no expert on matters of the economy.
A few here have said that under the Tories we have done better than we would have under another government.

However... i think i recall the economy 'double dipping', and didn't the IMF say that we had cut too much and downrated our economy because of this?

Apologies if i have my facts wrong, someone put me straight.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Neil Kinnocks 92 warning is still valid, if not more so now. To paraphrase, Dont be poor, , Don't be ill, , Don't be unemployed, Don't be old.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
F

Sorry about your sons predicament. I have no idea of the position you list, whether it's a true reflection of the facts or not, it's nothing I know anything about. Your post is however is light on facts and full of emotive language (possibly understandable) so says very little of any real meaning other than anti-tory prejudice, so I will ignore the post as adding nothing to the argument.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Neil Kinnocks 92 warning is still valid, if not more so now. To paraphrase, Dont be poor, , Don't be ill, , Don't be unemployed, Don't be old.
and, historically, don't be from any other sort of marginalised or disadvantaged group...

Labour governments and Trades Unions are the people who have consistently acted in the interests of fairer opportunity for these people.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

The thing I remember Kinnock for most in 92 is for the following....

We're all right,
yes we're all right......

We're all right.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton

I won't go on as this is my first post and isn't going to hold any weight round here, but in the same vein, I work as a carer and see how this government has had a detrimental effect on the disabled day in day out. Financially, social schemes, colleges having to close whole support departments for disabled students because they can't afford to run them anymore... I often work with young people who have their whole lives ahead of them getting low and depressed due to the support they need disintegrating under their feet.

I don't have a good way to say this without getting emotional, not a good idea for a first post, but I'll say this: If anyone is unsure who to vote for, or blindly vote tory becuse of family or whatever, come work my job for a day and see how you feel after you speak to some of the people that have had their lives negatively impacted by this lot and then see how you feel. OP, you ask why shouldn't you vote for the tories? Because you're better than that, we as a society are better than that. This current group of tories are nasty and thoughtless. They hide behind words like "targetting" and "refining" to cut benefits and social schemes that helped some of the worse off people, with the least oppurtunities in society all the while justifying it to the public with hate tactics, pinpointing the "work shy". They should be ashamed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
IDS is a dreadful little man regardless of his politics. Rumour has it (and I realise this is anecdotal), he always snarled at the little man in his midsts whilst snivelling and brown nosing his peers - the complete opposite of Margaret Thatcher who was renowned for personally thanking the catering staff after state banquets but would tear a strip of her cabinet if they exhibited crass incompetence. I never had time for Thatcher's policies, but do feel she was very principled.

There are some admirable conservatives (small c) in my view. I've always had time for Ken Clarke, David Davies, John Bercow and few others down the years. But generally I'd give them a wide berth at the polling booth. For example, my MP got voted in by the usual landslide in true blue Reigate, and then decided to come out as gay precisely two weeks after the election result. Funny that.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The thing I remember Kinnock for most in 92 is for the following....

We're all right,
yes we're all right......

We're all right.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

Leading to a Major Government, that was in power for our pulling out of the European exchange mechanism and iBlack Wednesday. Just goes to show how financially proficient theTories really are

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So what are you saying?

what Mustafa is saying is we should be taxing lots of Indians, Swedes, Russians and other nationals who have domiciled here and now feature in the rich list because they have substantial assets in their name.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I won't go on as this is my first post and isn't going to hold any weight round here, but in the same vein, I work as a carer and see how this government has had a detrimental effect on the disabled day in day out. Financially, social schemes, colleges having to close whole support departments for disabled students because they can't afford to run them anymore... I often work with young people who have their whole lives ahead of them getting low and depressed due to the support they need disintegrating under their feet.

I don't have a good way to say this without getting emotional, not a good idea for a first post, but I'll say this: If anyone is unsure who to vote for, or blindly vote tory becuse of family or whatever, come work my job for a day and see how you feel after you speak to some of the people that have had their lives negatively impacted by this lot and then see how you feel. OP, you ask why shouldn't you vote for the tories? Because you're better than that, we as a society are better than that. This current group of tories are nasty and thoughtless. They hide behind words like "targetting" and "refining" to cut benefits and social schemes that helped some of the worse off people, with the least oppurtunities in society all the while justifying it to the public with hate tactics, pinpointing the "work shy". They should be ashamed.

.Presumably, according to your thinking, those who don't vote for theTories are 'better' than those who do.
A sweeping assumption, maybe?Tories eat children and old people,whilst Labour loves everybody.........unless you are a 'Toff'.
Anyway,welcome to NSC.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
F

Sorry about your sons predicament. I have no idea of the position you list, whether it's a true reflection of the facts or not, it's nothing I know anything about. Your post is however is light on facts and full of emotive language (possibly understandable) so says very little of any real meaning other than anti-tory prejudice, so I will ignore the post as adding nothing to the argument.

I find that a rather sneering dismissal, and would refer you to the following facts that I referred to in my original post.

1: Remploy

http://www.itv.com/news/2013-10-30/workers-mourn-end-of-an-era-as-last-remploy-factories-close/

2: IDS's wife

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1443946/Duncan-Smiths-employment-of-wife-referred-to-MPs-watchdog.html

3: IDS's expenses

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-claimed-breakfast-1810086

4: IDS's rent free living

https://edinburgheye.wordpress.com/2013/03/16/iain-duncan-smith-the-quiet-man-with-so-much-to-be-quiet-about/

5: IDS and Universal Credit's wasted £600 million

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4278439.ece

D

Deleted member 22389

No real solutions from any of them, just more of the same. More soundbites.

D

Deleted member 22389

I know which of the current trends I would prefer...

uk-france-2010.png

If the economy was really that great all these extra people we have here would be working way above the minimum wage, which in turn would be generating billions more in taxes to help pay for things like our NHS, Schools and our other services. As a result we would all be better off, but none of this has happened.

For people who remember what it is was like before the global financial meltdown and things like migration, be honest is it better for you, the same, or worse.

It doesn't matter who is in charge it feel like things will never get any better, and all this in the middle of a housing bubble driven by the prices in London. It is honestly the most ridicolous economy ever.

At the moment what our governments tell us is completely opposite to how many of us feel and experience.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here