Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why on Earth have we changed Kiev to Kyiv

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
The Ukranian is Київ, Kyiv is the most precise transliteration of that into Lain characters.

WE haven't changed it, the English for Київ is still Kiev.

It's no different to us calling Munchen, Munich, or the French calling London, Londres.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
political correctness.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's very irritating when the media change our words for particular places. Bombay and Peking spring to mind. If e go along that route, as mentioned places such as Rome and Munich would also need a new spelling.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... If e go along that route, as mentioned places such as Rome and Munich would also need a new spelling.

just about every major non-English place name would have to be changed. most countries we know by an English version of their real name. its bonkers.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's very irritating when the media change our words for particular places. Bombay and Peking spring to mind. If e go along that route, as mentioned places such as Rome and Munich would also need a new spelling.

Why should we call places with English names rather than the name given by the country. I think it's far more polite not to try to Anglicise everything.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
There should be universal names for each country, from the language that the country speaks:

England/Britain
France (with a funny accent)
Deutschland
Polska
Nederland

Same with cities.

Edit: Basically what TD said...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
There should be universal names for each country, from the language that the country speaks:

England/Britain
France (with a funny accent)
Deutschland
Polska
Nederland

Same with cities.

I agree, but... the problem comes when the native language doesn't use the Latin alphabet - for those places we need to find a way to write it, even if not our own way to pronounce it.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I agree, but... the problem comes when the native language doesn't use the Latin alphabet - for those places we need to find a way to write it, even if not our own way to pronounce it.

True, like in Greece (Hellas :thumbsup:) 'Athens' is called Αθήνα (Athena). I think it's fine changing it into the Latin alphabet if the same pronunciation is maintained. Although could this not be how the variations begun in the first place?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
What has really got my goat during this championship is the pronunciation of Krakow as Crack-OV. Firstly, and primarily, it's wrong. There's a little more to Polish than simply saying "w" as "v".

Secondly, if you're going to do that then at least be consistent and attempt to pronounce Warszawa and Wroclaw, instead reverting to the English pronunciation.

What has really got my goat during this championship is the pronunciation of Krakow as Crack-OV. Firstly, and primarily, it's wrong. There's a little more to Polish than simply saying "w" as "v".

Secondly, if you're going to do that then at least be consistent and attempt to pronounce Warszawa and Wroclaw, instead reverting to the English pronunciation.
At least no-one thought that the España v Italia game was played in Danzig.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why should we call places with English names rather than the name given by the country. I think it's far more polite not to try to Anglicise everything.

Because many of these places have historical been given those names by the English speaking world. Are you suggesting that every foreign country should call England 'England'. How presumptuous that would be on our part. Angleterre/England, what would the French say? I bet the Chinese don't call England 'England' exactly as we would and that's fine by me.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I have never understood why in English an "s" is added to the names of the French cities of Lyon and Marseille.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here