Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why is this ad not deemed racist ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I've given you two cast-iron pieces of evidence that proves that most people don't think it's political anymore. It was political in the past but it's not been for a long time, It's the casual culture that's now been tarred with that brush.[/QUOTE)

Two examples of events that were publicised as non far right events..
Like I say.. If you have an interest in politics, or skinheads, or skinhead music..you will understand.
My mothers generation see them as not much better than neo nazis..
Ive tried to explain it to her, but without success.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've given you two cast-iron pieces of evidence that proves that most people don't think it's political anymore. It was political in the past but it's not been for a long time, It's the casual culture that's now been tarred with that brush.[/QUOTE)

Two examples of events that were publicised as non far right events..
Like I say.. If you have an interest in politics, or skinheads, or skinhead music..you will understand.
My mothers generation see them as not much better than neo nazis..
Ive tried to explain it to her, but without success
So youre telling us you've had conversations with your mum who is 90 odd, about whether or not skinheads are still associated with nazis and the far right ? Really ?? Somehow i doubt it..........................:lolol:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
So youre telling us you've had conversations with your mum who is 90 odd, about whether or not skinheads are still associated with nazis and the far right ? Really ?? Somehow i doubt it..........................:lolol:

My mother is from a Jewish family, as you know. She was very concerned by the rise of the far right skins in the past. She is not senile. She is a very active woman, who still visits me in Prague via a bus. We have talked about it, but she struggles to understand this culture group. If she sees skinheads, she is apprehensive.
Thanks for your interest.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Same.

The older of us were lucky at school with geography as well. We had the Soviet Union.. Now, theres a host of different republics to know about.
Plus there used to be a place called Peking in China, along with Calcutta and Bombay in India. Ceylon also.

Most of the Indians I work with, including those there, still call it Bombay.........

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
My mother is from a Jewish family, as you know. She was very concerned by the rise of the far right skins in the past. She is not senile. She is a very active woman, who still visits me in Prague via a bus. We have talked about it, but she struggles to understand this culture group. If she sees skinheads, she is apprehensive.
Thanks for your interest.
Righto .....................

PS visits you by bus ??? Pay for her flight you tight c**t

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Righto .....................

PS visits you by bus ??? Pay for her flight you tight c**t

Trust me. Ive tried. She wont fly.
She was ambulance driver at bomber base during the war. Had to go out to the planes coming back, get the wounded into the ambulance and get them to hospital.
Says she was driving towards a Wellington that was on fire when it landed, and it blew up in front of her.,
No money in the world will get her on a plane. Says she will never forget.

Funnily enough, when I lived in Germany, she wouldnt visit because of history.
Now she has to travel through Germany to get here, she thinks its a wonderful country.

Last edited:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Most of the Indians I work with, including those there, still call it Bombay.........

My work team is me, and a bunch of Indians in Bangalore.. I just asked on our group chat.
Got this back..
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:42 PM]

Had a discussion about places that have changed names...
do Indian folk still call Mumbai ... Bombay?
regardless of the name change?
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:44 PM] Shobha, Lavanya:
sm do actually
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:44 PM]
same with chennai etc?
older generation im guessing?
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:47 PM] Bp, Madhu:
few community argued that "Bombay" was a corrupted English version of "Mumbai" and an unwanted legacy of British colonial rule.
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:48 PM] Shobha, Lavanya:
he googled it
:D
he is typin a essay nw
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:49 PM] Bp, Madhu:
when google is used to name cat and dog there is nothing wrong is searching for history

:-D

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My work team is me, and a bunch of Indians in Bangalore.. I just asked on our group chat.
Got this back..
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:42 PM]

Had a discussion about places that have changed names...
do Indian folk still call Mumbai ... Bombay?
regardless of the name change?
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:44 PM] Shobha, Lavanya:
sm do actually
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:44 PM]
same with chennai etc?
older generation im guessing?
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:47 PM] Bp, Madhu:
few community argued that "Bombay" was a corrupted English version of "Mumbai" and an unwanted legacy of British colonial rule.
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:48 PM] Shobha, Lavanya:
he googled it
:D
he is typin a essay nw
[‎5/‎27/‎2016 1:49 PM] Bp, Madhu:
when google is used to name cat and dog there is nothing wrong is searching for history

:-D

No more work from them today now then :D Good shout re older generation.....probably tends to be

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As I said... there are left wing skins.
As you know, many people see skins and think far right...

Yes perhaps, but why then in this ad, infer white probably working class are inherently racist, when it is inconceivable that any similar stereotyping would even be considered for any other racial group.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Yes perhaps, but why then in this ad, infer white probably working class are inherently racist, when it is inconceivable that any similar stereotyping would even be considered for any other racial group.

No idea. Other than there is still maybe a common perception regarding skinheads.I dont work for Saatchi & Saatchi.

I know hundreds of white working class people, none of whom are skinheads as this ad represents.
i dont think it represents 'white working class'.. I think it represents a skinhead, and that whatever your ethnicity, or
politics, you have an equal vote.

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I wouldn't say it is racist, much like I wouldn't if it was the other way around.

There will be people of both sides that would claim it was in either connotation.

I think what they are trying to say is that all votes are equal. Its a clever way of doing it. However they have probably determined that two white people would be un PC, then having a person of colour being aggressive at a white person would be un PC so gone for what they have gone for.

EDIT: I have just seen the 'Operation Black Vote' thing. So I guess they have gone for the white person being aggressive deliberately - still don't find it racist though. People of all colours are racist and they are all as equally small minded and idiotic.
Well that's good... it seems racism doesn't exist in your world.

Put a blinged up 'gangsta' from da ghetto on the right, and a white pensioner in a head scarf on the left...... BOOM.... you wouldn't be able to move for fits of anguish and outraged from some of the notable permanently offended members of this board... let alone the liberal voice of our leafy suburbs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

It doesn't. It infers that skinheads are racist. That's the lazy stereotype. They should be only people getting their (Union Jack) knickers in a twist over this. How people are coming to the conclusion that this ad is in some way offensive to white, working class males is beyond me. I actually think the meaning behind the ad is quite clever, not matched by the execution. Oh, and I also think the use of the elderly, Asian matriach in traditional dress to represent, I suppose, UK "people of colour" in need of help to be equally lazy.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I wanted to leave this thread on a positive note so here's a video by a Walthamstow band called The Skints who have been around for a few years now having formed the band at school about 10 or so years ago, the female lead singer is mixed race, the band dress in a suedehead style and their music is a mix of ska/pop punk and a little bit of old school chatting. They've built up quite a reputation around the reggae world having collaborated with the likes of Tippa Irie and Horseman. If kids from Walthamstow can feel comfortable dressing like that around their neighbourhood and getting into the ska scene I think it shows that most people know for sure that the politics element for the UK skinhead scene is pretty much dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqHKLKgCyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqpqKqUg_4

I think they f*cking rock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here