Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Why I’m finally going to try to boycott Amazon

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What I am actually trying to get at is how much of the money that Amazon get from the UK economy (8bn or something in 2013 I think), gets recirculated into the UK economy?

probably a similar proportion to say Argos, given most the produce is made overseas, less then Tescos (much more produced in UK), more than Ikea (nearly all out of UK). there are warehouses, sales, marketing, etc all UK based hovering up a large chunk of that 8bn, which if it wasnt going to Amazon would be going to another retailer who skims a few % and passes on the rest to the distributor, wholesaler and manufacturer. yep, thats the cost of globalisation, there are many companies exporting revenue overseas, meanwhile, there are many importing (mining companies, banks off the top of my head). the old days when money circulated only around the UK where about 17th centrury, if ever.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I don't use them any more. Tax avoiding and treating workers poorly shouldn't be encouraged.

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Amazon has also invested heavily in the cloud business, which has an estimated 80 to 85% of the public cloud market. That side of the company is certainly making serious money - it's just started putting out figures and the cloud business is on course for $6 billion revenue and $1 billion in profits

I am not against big business or profits, as long as it is a level playing field for all the businesses in the sector, all paying the same taxes back to society and employment/wages costs - not avoiding paying by moving profit to a large central cost to some tax haven to avoid their duty to the country the profit was made in.

We are all being asked to help reduce the huge country deficit, some companies are good at avoiding their liability to the country they profited in. It would be better to look at these rather than some of the cuts that are being made.

I also think some workers are exploited, their conditions/hours of employment, opportunities, they have not been receiving pay rises they deserve, even to make up for inflation which is there, travel (train) costs have increased, utilities have increased, private rents and others costs ...

I still think Blair did a fairly good job, apart from ... I certainly had a better ten years than now and I am concerned about some of the cuts that are / will happen.

and don't get me onto some of the bankers that created the problem and are still getting away with it ....

The change in pensions ....

I wonder in which accounts the $1 billion will be shown?

Time to enjoy the sun,

Rant over,

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Should we think about where our products come from?

It's the world’s biggest online retailer which prides itself on stocking everything you could possibly desire.

But behind Amazon’s success lies something far uglier, if the latest investigation into its working practices is to be believed. From employees crying at their desks to annual staff culls designed to foster a culture of fear, merciless conditions at the company have been described by more than 100 workers. Bosses are said to push staff so far past breaking point that they ‘practically combust’, while regular sackings to keep workers on their toes

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-say-s-like-work-Amazon.html#ixzz3j5Wa7WEI

A nightmarish picture of people getting stress ulcers and being expected to reply to emails at midnight, of lacerating criticism and workers sobbing relentlessly at their desks. One employee describes being given a low-performance rating after returning from treatment for her thyroid cancer. Another miscarried twins, and claims she was told: “From where you are in life, trying to start a family, I don’t know if this is the right place for you.” It paints a picture of Amazon as a vampire that grabs newcomers and bleeds them out, before dumping them out on the street with a shrug:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/comp...ing-to-boycott-amazon/ar-BBlOclk?ocid=SL5MDHP
Daily Mail 😀

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
The last straw for me was their willingness to employ that work place bully Clarkson.

Bullies should be shunned like sex offenders are, they can cause as much misery, they certainly should not be celebrated and paid a fortune.

Well none of my money will ever be going to support this criminal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's not really my point. The OP has posted a thread saying how he doesn't want to give his money to Amazon any more but has posted a link, every click on which gives money to the Daily Mail.

Fair enough - that's a good healthy attitude. I thought you were doubting the accuracy of the reporting.

The last straw for me was their willingness to employ that work place bully Clarkson.

Yes. If you were in any doubt as to whether believe the NYT or Amazon, the employment of Clarkson should strongly emphasise the fact the company sees workplace bullying as an activity to be rewarded

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
though not surprising if you consider that frtune will be made from the shareholding and disposal of shareholding over the years. its quite possible for someone like Bezos to be fantastically wealthy while their company makes no profit, they essentially print money via shares. (and remember kids, tax is only on profits, not on revenues)

Bezos sold $534m worth of Amazon shares 10 days ago, that is a huge amount of money.

They employ some 9,000 staff in the UK, hopefully most are happy here.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Allegedly, nasty Amazon won't let their staff look at NSC when they're supposed to be working! Maybe that's why they're in tears?

French Seagull

Jul 30, 2014
France
Fair enough - that's a good healthy attitude. I thought you were doubting the accuracy of the reporting.

Yes. If you were in any doubt as to whether believe the NYT or Amazon, the employment of Clarkson should strongly emphasise the fact the company sees workplace bullying as an activity to be rewarded

Bullies should be shunned like sex offenders are, they can cause as much misery, they certainly should not be celebrated and paid a fortune.

Well none of my money will ever be going to support this criminal.

Their new 'Top gear' is reported to be costing $250 Million. Perhaps it is away of avoiding tax on profits some how?

I must be strange wishing that more of the money went down to the people at the bottom of the 'food chain' that are just about getting by, working their socks off. Bozos could always give the 'workers' a few shares they deserve for making the company so successful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here