Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why I love Posh Away

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It was the season we were on our way to the title and the afternoon that Zamora returned from injury. It was a fantastic atmosphere in the away stand. My lad (then about 13) was with me. He had been to the Goldstone (for that Orient match), we were regulars at the Priestfield, and we were season ticket holders at Withdean.

I should say at this point he played football – but he preferred rugby – which was his game. Also love of football was not passed from my father to me – it was something I discovered when I started playing school football, and being very different from my father I was unsure whether it is possible to pass on the passion of the father to a son. He enjoyed coming to the Albion - but how much of that was because he wanted to please his father and how much was it that he “felt” football, and understood what being a supporter was ?

Anyway - there was a tremendous roar from the away terrace when Zamora was announced in the team. We didn’t expect him to play – so suddenly the afternoon got more exciting. When the game started there was a fantastic atmosphere on the terrace (as there always was at Posh then). First half we were awarded a penalty – well that must be one-nil. But Zamora missed. I did think that might be our chance gone – Peter Taylor was not one for the expansive game. However twenty minutes to go, right in front of us, Zamora swivelled and scored. The terrace erupted.

After that it was tense. Taylor was not a man to press for a second. With about 10 minutes to go I looked at my lad. He was standing with hands cupped on the side of his face, eyes firmly fixed on the ground. I asked whether he was ok. “I can’t watch. It is too tense”. At that moment I knew he “got” football, understood the Albion, and was with us for life. Football is visceral and once you have it – you don’t lose it.

The whistle went, we celebrated. The players came over, Al and I lifted him up, and Tim (is Tim still around ?) took the photo and loaded it up onto his site. It is probably my favourite photo.

Attachments

• m_at_posh.JPG
    m_at_posh.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 839

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I remember that game with great fondness.

An old man stood near us disappeared when we scored. It was like that bit in The Simpsons when Otto gets dragged away by the sea in the Lord of the Flies episode and shouts 'Zepellin rule'.

This old fella had tears welling up and just shouted at my mate - "remember this - it don't get any better" before he was off in an old school terrace surge.

That, and chatting to some bloke covered in plasters who needed stitches but wanted to wait until after the game to get them done.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Brilliant read. It has always had special resonance for me as well. First big-atmosphere away game (1986 FA Cup); rare away wins on packed terraces when we were crap; car prang (my fault) necessitating a return trip a week later to pick it up; taking my Swiss cousin to his first Albion match (away win), he was leaping around for the late winner. Having to work tomorrow, will be another amazing turnout.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That was a fantastic day. We stayed drinking in the Cherry Tree for huors after the game, then walked back to the station about 9pm. Not such a good idea it turned out, I got punched on the platform. What a day though.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Great post, loved reading that. I too remember that game well, it was the first game I took my girlfriend (now ex) to, she loved it as well. I still remember her face looking a little shocked at the reaction of Brighton fans when the goal went in, a mixture of excitement and fear as random 15st blokes bumped into her and one another.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Atmosphere was great. Amazing feeling afterwards (though it was a shame that the Grand National meant Tranny's game was on the Sunday, otherwise we'd have been mathematically sure of promotion on that terrace).

But I also remember that the game itself was pretty poor!

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
That day also stands out for me as one of the all time great Away-Days.

The excitement started building when we heard the stadium announcer ring out over the neighbourhood saying "No 25 Bobby Zamora!" before we even got in the stadium.

The explosion of emotion when Bobby scored was just extraordinary - we all behaved like 10 year olds jumping around and hugging everyone anywhere near.

I was also there with my nipper - then 9 year old Charlotte and I were captured in the same photo set - I thought taken by Bennett Dean.

Brighton & Hove Albion Album, Season 2001 - 2002, Peterborough Game 06 April 2002

All in all a classic day.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
My sis and i fondly recalled( to nephew) the classic one minute silence for the Queen Mum at Posh away. The classic Dom Jolly HELLO...ring tone went off during said silence...NO ONE was brave enough to do the classic.."HELLO, I'M AT A MINUTE SILENCE" but many thought it , as there were sniggers and muffled laughter all around. I myself was in tears of laughter. Best memory! Anyone else remember that one?

off to peterborough today....need to get myself ready!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was also there with my nipper - then 9 year old Charlotte and I were captured in the same photo set - I thought taken by Bennett Dean.
All in all a classic day.

Tim Colville - that was him. I felt bad as I never actually purchased the photo. I will have a look now and get it.

Yep - it was a great day.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Great post DKM. And as has been pointed out when we scored everyone went mental. They didn't just stand up, give a hearty cheer and clap politely they went MENTAL.

I hope that attitude and that experience never dies. Sadly though,given the posts about what we can expect at Southampton all the unbridled leaping joy that is unique to football may soon be a thing of the past. We really mustn't let that happen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Brilliant read. It has always had special resonance for me as well. First big-atmosphere away game (1986 FA Cup);

I remember the '86 game for having a blazing row with a copper. I was in the RAF at the time stationed just up the road at Cranwell. At the station after the game, this one copper decided I wasn't going to be allowed onto the northbound platform to go the one stop I needed to Grantham and tried to physically herd me onto a London train. Had a long row with him and just as he was about to arrest me on some spurious "not doing as I was told" charge, I realised I had my RAF Id card in my wallet, and he finally relented when I showed it to him.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Great post DKM. And as has been pointed out when we scored everyone went mental. They didn't just stand up, give a hearty cheer and clap politely they went MENTAL.

I hope that attitude and that experience never dies. Sadly though,given the posts about what we can expect at Southampton all the unbridled leaping joy that is unique to football may soon be a thing of the past. We really mustn't let that happen.

True. I love being part of that unbridled joy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here