Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why have labour done so badly!!

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I reckon we will back under Tories at the next election.

Is this going to be good for the country?

All I remember the Tories doing is causing a big recession, creating the Poll Tax, privatising the Railways and running down the NHS and generally screwing everything up.

People must be seriously pissed with Labour thou.

Do went to be under the Tories again?

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
adrian29uk said:
I reckon we will back under Tories at the next election.

Is this going to be good for the country?

All I remember the Tories doing is causing a big recession, creating the Poll Tax, privatising the Railways and running down the NHS and generally screwing everything up.

People must be seriously pissed with Labour thou.

Do went to be under the Tories again?

Could we tell the difference?

Same suits, same smile, same self-serving shites in paid-for accommodation awarding themselves huge payrises and pensions.

Would we get lied to about going to war? Would we have a government that sat back and watched the disadvantaged and disenfranchised sink into a new underclass? Would we have a government that kisses the arse of European directives whilst the rest of Europe looks on and laughs? Would we have a government which stole our money under the pretence of improving services but continually failed to deliver at the point of delivery?

Yep. New Liebour or New Conservatism, you get the same deal. Wonder if Ben Elton and his ilk will come out of middle class comfort to take the piss again, or have they sold out too far to be credible? If they ever were in the first place.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tony Bliar is only a failed Tory, that they didnt want.

If a government is effective they should be unpopular and lose local elections mid term, so perhaps the signs aren't so good for Tories.

Deenomite

Sep 30, 2005
Re: Re: Why have labour done so badly!!

HampshireSeagulls said:
Could we tell the difference?

Same suits, same smile, same self-serving shites in paid-for accommodation awarding themselves huge payrises and pensions.

No, not in the slightest and that's the sad thing about it.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
BensGrandad said:

If a government is effective they should be unpopular and lose local elections mid term, so perhaps the signs aren't so good for Tories.

Well Tories suffered some bad mid term elections in the mid/late 80s, so it may not be the precursor to power Cameron wishes it to be.

I thought they'd do worse personally.

The implosion of the Lib Dems is VERY funny though.

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
maybe because people have become so bored with them. if you think about it you've got a whole new layer of voter my age 18 and just heading to uni or in uni, and there paying all that money for uni.

either that or people are disapointed that they didn't get the labour govt they wanted and our using the local election to show there unhappiness.

u can't pridict what will happen in the general election new labour leader my put them back in a good light

reuters said:
maybe because people have become so bored with them. if you think about it you've got a whole new layer of voter my age 18 and just heading to uni or in uni, and there paying all that money for uni.

either that or people are disapointed that they didn't get the labour govt they wanted and our using the local election to show there unhappiness.

u can't pridict what will happen in the general election new labour leader my put them back in a good light
Labour never actually were anything though. They just said what people wanted to hear, to get into power.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I believe there should be a General Election when Blair goes. I know that people vote for a PARTY and not a LEADER, so if Labour wish to have a mounted elk's head to lead it, then that's their choice.

Gordon Brown needs a mandate from the people so should hold an election as soon as possible. Not least because of moves by the SNP to gain Scottish independence. Scottish MPs can STILL vote on purely English issues.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's mid term, it's what happens.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
People vote on ethical issues and matters of principle in mid-term elections but on their wallets in general elections.

Regardless of Iraq, spin, cash for peerages, brown-nosing Bush etc. Labour will go when most people no longer trust them with the economy and I don't think we have reached that stage yet

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Politics has become very dull. The characters that used to be around are no longer there. There's nobody 'hungry' for it anymore.

When Thatcher was in power most of her cabinet were well known, big names in their own right. When labour came in they also had big names upfront but who could name more than3 or 4 Ministers now?

It's been the same locally. We had Bassam, Caplin. Lepper & co. These all moved on up and those replacing them have been poor. It hasn't helped that labour have rooted out those who do not always toe the Corporate line.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Freddie Goodwin. said:
Politics has become very dull. The characters that used to be around are no longer there. There's nobody 'hungry' for it anymore.

When Thatcher was in power most of her cabinet were well known, big names in their own right. When labour came in they also had big names upfront but who could name more than3 or 4 Ministers now?

It's been the same locally. We had Bassam, Caplin. Lepper & co. These all moved on up and those replacing them have been poor. It hasn't helped that labour have rooted out those who do not always toe the Corporate line.
Agree, but I'd take it further than that.

On a local level, I find the idea of party politics old-fashioned, out-of-date and often seriously detrimental to progressing or furthering the welfare and prosperity of any given community.

No two people, even in the same political party, are ever going to agree on every single issue. Yet, because a party line often has to be toed, it comes a point where people end up voting against their own principles. Is that democracy?

It may be different on a national level, but on a local level, for me, I wouldn't say it doesn't work, but I would say that there are far better ways of running a community (city, parish, district) than being told which way to vote purely because it suits the larger party machine.

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
My big worry, using sunny Worthing as an example, is that 65% of the electorate couldn't be bothered to vote.
Eventually apathy could let an extreme, but organised, party in and then we will all be up shit creek.
If the day comes that the BNP get a charismatic and on the face of it credible leader then we are in serious trouble.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
the mid terms are always chance to put boot into whoevers in power.
I think labour will win the Genral election though , new leader will prob help but I think overall most people can see how well the country has come on since the dark days we had under the conservatives

Following on from what TLO and Harty have said ...

Is it a coincidence that, in Lewes, where disillusionment with the traditional parties is undoubtedly growing, a local election can attract 53.6 per cent of the electorate, with the winner (an Independent) getting 81 per cent of the available votes?

reuters

Feb 15, 2007
Brighton
Harty said:
My big worry, using sunny Worthing as an example, is that 65% of the electorate couldn't be bothered to vote.
Eventually apathy could let an extreme, but organised, party in and then we will all be up shit creek.
If the day comes that the BNP get a charismatic and on the face of it credible leader then we are in serious trouble.

i don't think that will happen under the first past the post system. its made to support the top two parties and stop any extremists getting in.
i think a hung parlament is more likely

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
To answer the question why have labour done so badly it is because they do not listen to the people - they simply introduce legislation bery few want eg id cards and HIPS.

Also Blair is a liar who took us into an illegal war which most of us did not want

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ironically, to build on the point made by harty and reuters, it may take a rise in the BNP to compell more people to vote...they will realise how important it is to ensure we keep extremists out of governing our country (whilst still allowing them a voice, and enough rope to hang themselves).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here