Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why doesn't FIFA just shove it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The poppy commemorates people killed in conflict, which I would argue in itself makes it political, as the primary purpose is to remember those that died on behalf of their countries, i.e. as a result of political imperatives (i.e. 'for us').

That's without going into the additional loaded connotations associated with the poppy, or it's (mis)use by many as a tool to harangue anyone who may choose to defer from displaying one at any point. Even if you grant that all of that is inadmissable, the evident fact that the poppy as an icon has come to symbolise, for many patriotism as well as remembrance makes it absolutely political.

We'll clearly have to disagree upon this as you think that Patriotism is a political viewpoint, loving the Country you live in and the People who died in its service is completely apolitical to me.

Nationalism, where I tend to think other Countries and their People are inferior to me is a different matter of course.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I really don't give a toss whether the teams have poppy on their shirts or not. For me it is an individual's choice to show your respect for those that have sacrificed their lives for our country (not necessarily died). For me it is not a political decision, in the context of wearing a poppy I don't care whether the wars were just or which party took us to war I am honouring the men and women that made the sacrifice.

I shall be wearing my poppy with pride no matter what and I find it very depressing that a bunch of over paid, over feed parasites are over shadowing the real message.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
The real controversy people need to focus on is how many people are profiteering off of Posh Poppies. If you're gonna spend £5-£10, just put the money in the poppy tin. The retailer takes most of the profit from that fancy stuff so what's the point?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The only political thing about poppy wearing is the right wing twats that seek out those that aren't wearing them in public.
....or the left wing fookwits who deny there is even a 'cause' to remember.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Did your wife volunteer to risk her life on a regular basis ? No , she didn't , THATS why soldiers should benefit over and above anyone else you'd do well to remember that.

Well it depends on your political and ideological standpoint.

You could argue....

Soldiers kill people, sometime innocent civilians who get caught in the cross fire.
Their involvement in conflicts like Iraq and Afghanistan actually makes us less safe.
They therefore contribute far less to society than nurses.

Nurses save lives on a regular basis.
They contribute far more to our society and therefore deserve more benefits.

Its entirely political.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Remembrance Sunday is held in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth as a day "to commemorate the contribution of British and Commonwealth military and civilian servicemen and women in the two World Wars and later conflicts".

I wonder if we would be having this debate if these men and women in WW1 and WW2, either lost the war or could not be bothered to fight.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
:bowdown:
I wonder if we would be having this debate if these men and women in WW1 and WW2, either lost the war or could not be bothered to fight.

I guess this debate might would've existed if 'they' had fought and died, even if the battles had been won or lost. :bowdown:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The real controversy people need to focus on is how many people are profiteering off of Posh Poppies. If you're gonna spend £5-£10, just put the money in the poppy tin. The retailer takes most of the profit from that fancy stuff so what's the point?

These can all be purchased direct on the British Legion website

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ffs the armbands are going to be worn! I can't believe this had been made into such a massive story!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ignore FIFA, England and Scotland take a ban from Russia in 2018, stage a Rememberance Charity match when the world cup is going on instead, FIFA lose big money on the TV rights.

Job done.

:albion2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And now Theresa May has made a comment. A politician.

"Our football players want to recognise and respect those who have given their lives for our safety and security - I think it is absolutely right they should be able to do so."

Err...nobody is stopping them, love.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ffs the armbands are going to be worn! I can't believe this had been made into such a massive story!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sums it up perfectly. The question should have been why would the FA adorn the players with poppies when they are supposed to be concentrating on playing football. Poor decision from the PM getting involved in a manufactured dispute.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Ignore FIFA, England and Scotland take a ban from Russia in 2018, stage a Rememberance Charity match when the world cup is going on instead, FIFA lose big money on the TV rights.

Job done.

:albion2:

Yes let's isolate us from the football world, play all the home nations regularly over the year and imagine the winners as champions of the world. The equivalent of taking the ball home and crying because the other boys won't let you do what you want to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here