Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why do so many of our fans think we are still a 'small club'?

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think it's better than being a big club plastic.

I still think of us a Division Three club done well. I like to think of us that way. It means we appreciate things more. No sense of entitlement, more pleasure.

Never forget the rock from which you were hewn.

And don't forget, Leicester City fans probably thought that they would never be going back downstairs. Southampton too. And Leeds :lolol:
I like this mindset. Although I have no issue with supporters feeling that we have now been elevated to a 'big' club, I don't like the mythology that surrounds that epithet. If we stay grounded we are stronger......

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Amongst the usual Liverpool Manchester Utd Barcelona tatt sold abroad I've now found Brighton and Hove Albion tatt in Slovenia Norway Uzbekistan and Gran Canaria,so we're actually on the world map of tattorabilia,another 2 wins in Europe and I'd fully expect the Isle of Wight to follow suit, that's when you know you've made it big.

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Amongst the usual Liverpool Manchester Utd Barcelona tatt sold abroad I've now found Brighton and Hove Albion tatt in Slovenia Norway Uzbekistan and Gran Canaria,so we're actually on the world map of tattorabilia,another 2 wins in Europe and I'd fully expect the Isle of Wight to follow suit, that's when you know you've made it big.
Excuse me?

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
Never understand how people don’t equate it to fanbase. If Newcastle were in the 3rd tier they’d probably still be getting 25-30k+ at home. That is the measure of a big club imho.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
As big clubs go we're pretty small, but as small clubs go we're pretty big. We're not as big as the big clubs are that have always been big, and were not perhaps as big as some of the clubs are that used to be big but are now smaller than they were - although I appreciate that fans of big clubs that aren't as big as they used to be will always think of themselves as big. Lots of people (big and small) would argue that we're now bigger than clubs that used to be big, but are now small (Preston and Blackpool spring to mind), but fans of those clubs may argue that they're still big clubs not small clubs because of their history. As we've got bigger we've undoubtedly left some small clubs in our wake, but the big big clubs will always be bigger. I think the real question is are we at the big end of the small clubs, or the small end of the big clubs?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
were MASSIVE!

:rave:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’d take 10 years of top 4 finishes and a couple of (recognised) pots for us to even register. Or be bought by a state.
The thing is, there is what we supporters think about our club - and that's 'it is what it is'. And there is what other people think. It is other people who mither about whether the club they 'support' from afar, and their rivals, are 'big'.

I have never had a conversation with a Brighton supporter about our 'bigness'. I have had precious other types of conversation with armchair wanka supporters of ManUre, Chelsea and the like.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Club "size" isn't monolithic though is it? It can change through time. We are a bigger club than we were 30 years ago. That means we can become a bigger club still.

How? Well winning stuff, is one way. By gaining new fans in new places, by being good to watch for years to come, by selling out our tickets home and away. By beating comparable teams to transfer targets. Most of this stuff we're doing already of course, but it takes time to shift perceptions. At the moment, we're still a relative top level flash in the pan.

And that's all being a big club is isn't it? Perception? People's gut reaction when they hear your name read?

Does that mean it's all a load of pointless bollocks? No I don't think it does. We need to attract corporate partners. Size matters. We need to attract players, managers, staff. Size matters. We need eyeballs on our games to get this sponsorship. Size matters.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Never understand how people don’t equate it to fanbase. If Newcastle were in the 3rd tier they’d probably still be getting 25-30k+ at home. That is the measure of a big club imho.
Does that make Bradford City a big club then? Not in my opinion. I’d accept annual revenue as being a better measure of a club’s size.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
In the championship we regularly had one of the highest average attendances, higher than some so called “bigger” clubs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here