Why do evening games traditionally start at 7.45pm?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
15 min half time surely came in when there were a lot more live matches to allow for at least two sets of commercials so early 90s sounds about right.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised Barber isn't pushing for 30 minute breaks.....

Wasn't there a proposal a few years back for a break after 22 minutes? I believe the septics were pushing for it. Blatter and co gave it short shrift, so I assume there wasn't much money in it

theboybilly

Wasn't there a proposal a few years back for a break after 22 minutes? I believe the septics were pushing for it. Blatter and co gave it short shrift, so I assume there wasn't much money in it

Indeed there was a proposal - the 'Four Quarters'. I don't watch MLS (if indeed it's shown at all over here) but have wondered how the Yanks fit all their advertising in?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I always remember it being 7.30 kick off in the good old days.... Oh, and remember there was about 10 minutes at half time and no changing of muddy shirts either!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I remember it as being 7.30 at the Goldstone and being annoyed because the extra 15 minutes meant that I'd miss my train home but I can't remember when it changed

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Before this season I was convinced we were at a potential disadvantage in the 5 minutes at the start of the second half: half our fans still seemed to be in the queue for refreshments while all the away fans were in place ready for kick-off. And we often seemed to concede during this period, as it's often an odd atmosphere at the start of the second half.
This season so far, however, we've not had that problem ... :shrug:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
In the 60's we used to kick off at 7.15 pm, and still got large crowds.
Even with 7.30 kick off's, they all finished in time for a reading of every football result at the end of BBC TV National News at around 9.25 pm.
More puzzling is why some teams used to kick off at 3.15 pm on a Saturday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports