Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Why Deep Purple ROCK

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I've waited long for NSC to become a music forum proper, and at last it's come to pass... and not before time.

There I was the other day, and I surprised myself a little bit by thinking it's been too long since I'd listened to a MKII classic... after a few moments pondering the options I decided to give Who do we think we are ? a bit of a dust off... I'd always liked this album, despite it being considered a pale imitation of both Machine Head and MIJ ---- yet, I find that sonically it's the best album of the bunch, the middle (Roger and little Ian) simply explode out of the speakers and I can't help but imagine where MK2 might have gone following this wonderful and underrated LP.

I guess Rat Bat Blue is probably the one track that stands out as being an absolute beast... And the solo from Jon is frankly beyond comparison...

I love it.

I'll be posting regularly from now on, with essays from Purps to Amazing Blondel and all points in-between, and why not? this is a music forum after all.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When I was a kid who was just getting into music – of all types, but mainly rock and rap – I bought 'The Best Of Deep Purple' album for about £4.99 in Woolworths and absolutely loved it. Had the CD on repeat for weeks. Those guys literally rock.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
When I was a kid who was just getting into music – of all types, but mainly rock and rap – I bought 'The Best Of Deep Purple' album for about £4.99 in Woolworths and absolutely loved it. Had the CD on repeat for weeks. Those guys literally rock.
Got my music ready for the weekend long run now.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Brings back the smell of sick and stale beer from my days at The Hungry Years.
Never saw them live but caught half of them at The Rainbow in North London 1975 as Rainbow or Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow.
Great place - incongruously run by a lovely middle-aged Greek couple who looked about as far removed from hard rock as you can imagine, yet they'd be serving drinks while the heaviest, loudest, rock songs were blaring out, and the floor was a mass of 'air guitars' and long hair :rock:

One of the regulars was a such a Status Quo fanatic, he changed his name by deed poll to Francis Michael Rossi.

Used to laugh at the 'bikers' who walked up Queens Road after a night in the Years, carrying their motorcycle helmets - to catch their train home :lolol:

Diocletian

Feb 16, 2023
Bought a number of Purple's albums during the 70's and saw them live.

Jon Lord and Ritchie Blackmore just brilliant

Wring That Neck - live

Purple also did some really good covers such as Hey Joe and this one

Help

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
One of my all time favs

I utterly adore Stormbringer and even dig the funkier elements of the album too… I own a very rare quad press of it on vinyl, with slight little differences in the intro/outro and solos too… really cool.

Three things make Stormbringer (the track) f***ing awesome… the riff, the drumming, the double tracked wah wah outro riff … the lyrics too suit the song soooooo well… it’s stood the test of time and then some.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
This for me, although not my favourite Purple track - well, it just shows how special a group they were and how Blackmore is oft erroneously filed under a one trick pony guitarist… horse shit obviously…

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Rock and Rap.................really ?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Great place - incongruously run by a lovely middle-aged Greek couple who looked about as far removed from hard rock as you can imagine, yet they'd be serving drinks while the heaviest, loudest, rock songs were blaring out, and the floor was a mass of 'air guitars' and long hair :rock:

One of the regulars was a such a Status Quo fanatic, he changed his name by deed poll to Francis Michael Rossi.

Used to laugh at the 'bikers' who walked up Queens Road after a night in the Years, carrying their motorcycle helmets - to catch their train home :lolol:
John and Pepa....good cop, bad cop. :) John has now sadly passed away, but the HY torch still burns brightly.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Because Richie's Nan could pick a decent tune:

This has always been my favourite by the classic line up:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here