Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Chris?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There was a Bruno cross into the box maybe with about 10-15 minutes to go, and Tomer was the only Albion player in the penalty area.

Showing that kind of acumen any neutral watching would have thought City were on their way, as Brighton hoped to save themselves from relegation.

I had a good view of all that from ESU in line with north penalty box. Loads of hopeful balls were sent in, with 5 Bristol tall guys and the goalie against just one of Hemed or Murray. Even Drogba or Carroll would struggle with those odds.

Because our attacks and counter attacks were so slow, and with Murray having to help win the ball back against their 4-5-1, Bristol had all the time in the world to get organised.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I had a good view of all that from ESU in line with north penalty box. Loads of hopeful balls were sent in, with 5 Bristol tall guys and the goalie against just one of Hemed or Murray. Even Drogba or Carroll would struggle with those odds.

Because our attacks and counter attacks were so slow, and with Murray having to help win the ball back against their 4-5-1, Bristol had all the time in the world to get organised.
You can probably hit me on the head, in the lower deck, with a streamer. (emphasis on the 'r')

The really frightening crosses were the ones from Murray. :facepalm:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You can probably hit me on the head, in the lower deck, with a streamer. (emphasis on the 'r')

The really frightening crosses were the ones from Murray. :facepalm:

Have moved round the ground a bit over the 6 years, normally in the NS this season, which is great for atmosphere.

I hope that Hughton, Winstanley & their big technical teams, are analytical, not being blown over by the fantastic promotion, instead looking in depth at our weaknesses in personal and tactics, ready for the huge EPL step up.

The potentially toughest games this season against say the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Wednesday, Fulham and Huddersfield are a part indicator of playing life in the PL (but probably a notch above that).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
When you have been striving for something for 2 years, coming so close last year, to finally achieve it is a huge relief and you can be forgiven for perhaps not being quite as intense as you were before. That is where we are now. Nothing to worry about - it is a natural reaction to being under huge stress and pressure for months on end.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Actually, I thought a lot of the crosses were pretty decent, we just didn't ever get enough bodies in the box to meet them. I didn't know where Hemed was half the time, Murray was often the only player in there making it so easy for 2 big centre halves to deal with it. Perhaps Hemed was too busy trying to be a no.10, when second half we just needed 2 no.9s going at them from the positions we got in. Agree, a few were apparently doing great impressions of players who might struggle to make the step up.

It's probably down to trying too hard and just not clicking. One more shot at the title and then a short holiday is in order. This season must have taken its toll on the players, mentally and physically, and the Murray video hints at this.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Have moved round the ground a bit over the 6 years, normally in the NS this season, which is great for atmosphere.

I hope that Hughton, Winstanley & their big technical teams, are analytical, not being blown over by the fantastic promotion, instead looking in depth at our weaknesses in personal and tactics, ready for the huge EPL step up.

The potentially toughest games this season against say the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Wednesday, Fulham and Huddersfield are a part indicator of playing life in the PL (but probably a notch above that).

I'm sure he knows exactly what needs to be done more than anyone else, but right now he is probably as shattered as anyone else is. He needs a few weeks off himself and let the backroom staff take the driving seat.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Puzzling team selection at Norwich condemned us to inevitable defeat. Surely you stick with your strongest possible team, get the job done and then let some of the lesser lights have their moment in the spotlight. It seemed as if the manager was sending out the signal that all would be ok at home to Brizzle, get the big guns back and roll them over. The insipid display at Carrow Road derailed momentum, affected the balance of the side and caused a hangover effect at the Amex.
I listened to a lot of ex-pro's in the media all saying that promotion mattered far more to players than titles and that Brighton players considered it job done and that the Norwich result was no surprise. I listened to all these comments and still felt that the players wouldn't let the opportunity of being champions slip through their grasp. Why, even CH said that the title was our objective. I believed him before today. I don't now.
He tinkered with a winning side, when it was unnecesary. Playing Murphy upfront at Norwich was a poor decision. He is far too lightweight. Starting the lightweight and ineffectual Norwood alongside Sidwell was, frankly, ludicrous and then deciding to throw in Skalak v Brizzle and gambling with an unfit and out of sorts Kayal, throwing tremendous pressure on Stephens, was totally unfair. Stephens performance was near heroic but he was trying to carry too many teammates. Knockaert has allowed his level to drop significantly since the Wolves game and our talisman has been coasting. Murray and Hemed have both been poor as well. March hasn't asserted himself at all.
I only saw 4 players play remotely near acceptable standard v Bristol. Stephens, Dunk, BFG and Stocky. They had to carry 7 teammates, all of whom struggled. Totally inexplicable and unacceptable given what was a stake. They have a final chance to redeem themselves but I think we all feel in our heart of hearts that its very unlikely. This was our chance today and we blew it. What really hurts is that Bristol looked hungrier than us. CH words now have a hollow ring about them and it looks as if the whole playing/coaching staff have mentally switched off after the Wigan game.
It looked like we would be going into the PL with a flourish. It now looks like we will finish in an air of anti climax.

Yep. A bit like when we won the league 1 title. Last few games we were poor.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
As Adam Virgo said on Ch 5 the players appear to have taken their foot off of the pedal and got into holiday mode.

I would counter that with my own view, the players have achieved thier number one target and are going to play in the Premier League next season. They now are playing the final few games with a touch of fear, not wanting to pick up an injury which may scupper thier chance of lining up against the big boys next season.

I feel that they have subconsciously dropped in intensity but still expected to do enough to pick up enough points needed to win the league. That evidently has not been the case, so with only one match left to secure the league title, I fully expect the players to knuckle down, forget about next season and revert to the 100% commitment that won them promotion.

We have so much more to gain than Villa, and I don't doubt that the players do the business.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm sure he knows exactly what needs to be done more than anyone else, but right now he is probably as shattered as anyone else is. He needs a few weeks off himself and let the backroom staff take the driving seat.

CH has said he's going to take a family holiday. But for the last month or so, and ongoing, I would assume that CH has worked with his support team on the position strengthening and potential recruits needed. He won't leave it all until post holiday. The club had the massive advantage of being weeks ahead of rivals such as Swansea, Hull, Massive, Reading, Hudd and Fulham, in knowing it's destiny. Although new signings (players under contract elsewhere) can't be announced until July.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would counter that with my own view, the players have achieved thier number one target and are going to play in the Premier League next season. They now are playing the final few games with a touch of fear, not wanting to pick up an injury which may scupper thier chance of lining up against the big boys next season.

I feel that they have subconsciously dropped in intensity but still expected to do enough to pick up enough points needed to win the league. That evidently has not been the case, so with only one match left to secure the league title, I fully expect the players to knuckle down, forget about next season and revert to the 100% commitment that won them promotion.

We have so much more to gain than Villa, and I don't doubt that the players do the business.

Playing to your agenda is known to bring more chance of injury than going full belt into a tackle, so I doubt that is the reason more a case of a mental we have achieved our aim.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Playing to your agenda is known to bring more chance of injury than going full belt into a tackle, so I doubt that is the reason more a case of a mental we have achieved our aim.

I see you voted 'yes' in the 'Are we going to win the league?' poll.

We still have one more aim. So whatever the reason for this wobble, I agree with you and really believe that we will still do it.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I see you voted 'yes' in the 'Are we going to win the league?' poll.

We still have won more aim. So whatever the reason for this wobble, I agree with you and really believe that we will still do it.

That opinion is based on the fact that CH will read the riot act this week and demand 1 last effort in what may well be some of thems last game for us.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A lot of anti skalak feeling yet he was only person to have had the only meaningful shot on target in first half. He also had a deflected shot. He also won a couple of freekicks. Personally I think Pocognoli is a better full back than Bong. Hemed was poor ( and I am normally a fan) and AK tried to showboat too much without delivering anything. Others were also amiss. Maybe some players already think they are going to be moved on next season and can't be bothered. But the bottom line is we are up and anyone who can't be overjoyed by that must have a very short memory.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Every cloud" and all that. What it has done is pointed out in the most brutal way possible that, sadly, f we're going to rely on most of this season's squad next season then we're coming straight back down again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of anti skalak feeling yet he was only person to have had the only meaningful shot on target in first half. He also had a deflected shot. He also won a couple of freekicks. Personally I think Pocognoli is a better full back than Bong. Hemed was poor ( and I am normally a fan) and AK tried to showboat too much without delivering anything. Others were also amiss. Maybe some players already think they are going to be moved on next season and can't be bothered. But the bottom line is we are up and anyone who can't be overjoyed by that must have a very short memory.

Agree with you about Pog. Not just based on yesterday's Bong performance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"Every cloud" and all that. What it has done is pointed out in the most brutal way possible that, sadly, f we're going to rely on most of this season's squad next season then we're coming straight back down again.

Spot on. Some thought our amazing team spirit with a couple of additions will see us safe next season. Dillusional.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here