Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Why are so many new cars painted Battleship Grey?

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've been hoping the fashion for grey would disappear for well over a decade but it's still going.
It's particularly a rubbish colour for cars. Particularly on a drizzly grey day when some git in a superbly camouflaged grey car decides they don't need any lights on.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would seem to be Nardo Grey

s-l400.jpg

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Do you like cleaning cars? :lolol:

We have,

Rosso,
BRG (metallic)
Sky blue
White

I have a selection of scooters in randonm colours, several designed by Bertone in the mid late 1960's . . . . I have noticed Cotroen and Fiat have pilfered the Lambreta colour chart from this period. Ochre yellow and tuquoise most notably, I'v not seen 'orbit orange' . . .yet . . . .

Bacl on topic, in 1960, the cooking spec lambretta li125 was 2 tone grey. I have one, new from Masons of Worthing/Brighton, and it was painted Blue and white, pretty much from new. And still wears that same paint. Proper colours.

I had a white car 1980/82 never had one again, I had a headache everytime I cleaned it when the sun was out, due to the glare off the paint.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Mine is called "Indium grey metallic" but it's more of a gold/brown/dark silver.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My car which is less a year old is White. Never again. Dust, dirt, scuffs, more dust and shit.

SOld this a few months ago, kept pretty clean for white, probably because it was quite fast and everything blew off.

It did attract points though, which attached to my license. :rolleyes:D57F1C82-B92B-4431-A35E-E1048246482C.jpeg

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Our new Tiguan is Dolphin grey. I wouldn’t be seen dead in Battleship

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
SOld this a few months ago, kept pretty clean for white, probably because it was quite fast and everything blew off.

It did attract points though, which attached to my license. :rolleyes:View attachment 148350

Don’t think I didn’t notice your go faster quadrifoglio sticker! :wink:

Any regrets at selling, or just an itch scratched?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
The bottom line is that its down to clever marketing people giving salespersons an easy pitch. "Its the coolest colour... its the must have colour..." while thinking you look thick as fukk and are desperate to be in the in crowd.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
However if you're leasing the car for 3 years, that £700 adds £20/month to your lease cost. Hence there are a lot of white cars on the road.

I don't really understand your logic..If you are going to lease a car for 3 years you would want the colour of your choice, not the colour that the garage/lease company is trying to push...

Ive had lease cars for 10 years now ( COS through work allowancee ither that or have to pay company car tax)....ive always paid for the colour I want not what the garage wants.

your money your choice I guess.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I don't really understand your logic..If you are going to lease a car for 3 years you would want the colour of your choice, not the colour that the garage/lease company is trying to push...

Ive had lease cars for 10 years now ( COS through work allowancee ither that or have to pay company car tax)....ive always paid for the colour I want not what the garage wants.

your money your choice I guess.

That's you, it's possibly also me - I've never actually had to make that decision, but it's not thousands upon thousands of others who would rather save the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here