Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are Brighton fans so fickle?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am not sure if it is just our fans who are fickle or is every football fan like this?

The ridiculous calls for Micky Adams to return as manager are a classic example. Mark McGhee was sacked, apparently, due to a fans revolt. Ignoring the rights or wrongs of it, Dean Wilkins was put in charge and backed by most fans supposedly. Now four months later Micky Adams becomes available and the same people want to ditch Wilkins who a month ago was doing a great job.

I was not in favour of sacking Mark McGhee but having done that we have to give Dean Wilkins at least this season and, if we stay up, another year or two.

Joe Gatting is another example. This time last year he was the answer to all our problems and he was pushed into the team too early due to our goalscoring problems. Now the same people are saying he will never make it and some even that he should be released 6 months into a 3 year contract.

Why don't we just support the manager and players we have and hope that we can a bring in a couple of players to help them out. Surely, this is better than demanding the manager/players are sacked or dropped.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think you'll find there ais an element of fickle fans at any club.

Th eone problem ours seem to have or sections of ur fanbase is that we are/ deserve to be a bigger club in a higher division hence the discontent.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Micky Adams blames Coventry's lack of success on the sale of ONE player Gary McSheffrey. How would he have coped with the sale of EVERY decent player? He has also had money to spend at Coventry.

Bringing him back here would be utter madness as it would see the exit of DW, would take up any money we may have (unlikely I know) been about to spend in the transfer window.

MA without money is an inferior manager to MM. I don't expect many of you to go along with that but I firmly believe it to be the case.

Dick for fucks sake just give Deano the money to be able to have a chance of doing the job by signing experience,and ignore all this MA worship ...please :)

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Finchley Seagull said:
Ignoring the rights or wrongs of it, Dean Wilkins was put in charge and backed by most fans supposedly. Now four months later Micky Adams becomes available and the same people want to ditch Wilkins who a month ago was doing a great job.

But that's the point, you can't ignore the rights or wrongs of it. Too many people didn't think he was the right appointment to start off with.

And I'm sorry, he has never being doing a GREAT job. The team got on a roll for a few games, and put a poor Conference side out of the cup because they gave up at 0-4.

That's not doing a GREAT job. Call me fickle if you like, but the whole point of getting rid of McGhee was to attract players. So what happens, we got with a relative unknown in terms of manager status. It's hardly surprising we still can't attract players, because essentially - nothing has changed!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Seems fickle as on a message board people give knee jerk reactions ie Wilkins is right man for job , Gatting good enough etc

However , as time goes by the true opinion comes out.

Be a shit board if everyone didnt post there feelings in case in a few months they are proved wrong.

Thin you'll find this is the same anywhere

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Icy Gull said:
Dick for fucks sake just give Deano the money to be able to have a chance of doing the job by signing experience,and ignore all this MA worship ...please :)
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The best thing about Adams sacking is that it could give us a free run at Darren Currie. :D Go on Dick and Dean, you know it makes sense.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Re: Re: Why are Brighton fans so fickle?

Seagull73 said:
But that's the point, you can't ignore the rights or wrongs of it. Too many people didn't think he was the right appointment to start off with.

I meant the rights or wrongs of sacking McGhee which I thought was harsh.

I agree with Icy Gull that Micky Adams is not as good a manager as Mark McGhee with no money at this level. He has hardly been that great in management except with us. While he had to rebuild our whole squad, he did have a lot of money to spend compared to more recent managers.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Re: Re: Re: Why are Brighton fans so fickle?

Finchley Seagull said:
I meant the rights or wrongs of sacking McGhee which I thought was harsh.

I agree with Icy Gull that Micky Adams is not as good a manager as Mark McGhee with no money at this level. He has hardly been that great in management except with us. While he had to rebuild our whole squad, he did have a lot of money to spend compared to more recent managers.

McGhee's sacking wasn't harsh - too much negativity was surrounding the club at that point, and the performances were not up to it at all. Not that they have got much better since, but we had a chance to go a different route and didn't take it.

I don't think we will know whether Adams could do any better, because he won't come back, so the comparison is impossible. And Mickey only had 150-200k to build that squad with, apparently as much as the current manager has? Alledgedly..????

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There's always a few knee-jerk numbskulls on these issues. The difference with McGhee was that it was a much broader consensus for a number of good reasons that maybe his time was up. Not unanimous, but widespread.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think it was probably the right time for MM to go, but only if we replaced him with a fairly well know manager with a few contacts. Replacing him with a youth coach was a very poor choice.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I believe fickleness is part of the defective homosexual gene found prevalent in most Brighton fans.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Les Biehn said:
I believe fickleness is part of the defective homosexual gene found prevalent in most Brighton fans.

:lolol: Spot on.

OR....

A large section of the crowd are relatively new and have only experienced relative success, as opposed to a couple of relegations combined with a large section that are still harping back to the days when the club was in the top flight. Football fans are fickle in general.

You would think we would be some of the most down-to-earth fans in the country having stared extinction and relegation from the football league, in the face, so close that you could count the eye lashes.

Last edited:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
The truth of it is Dean Wilkins is not the experienced manager we need right now, bring in Mickey and allow him to work with Dean, the last thing this club needs is to be dragged into a relegation battle purely on the basis that our manager was 'learning his trade'

I would rather Mickey comes in, steadys the ship, keeps us in this division and works alongside Deano giving him the experience and assistance he needs to become a better manager in the future.

Mickey will attract players, and also bring the best out of our current squad, it;s the boost the club and supporters need and the best way of getting some believe and support back into Withdean.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Barrel of Fun said:

A large section of the crowd are relatively new and have only experienced relative success,

It's all relative isn't it really BoF, relatively speaking.

Last edited:

Going back to the thread subject. Why - same reason as many other supporters of most clubs. They either have short attention spans or only want to support a successful team.

Of course football is about opinions etc. but lots of so called fans think they know a lot more than they really do. You will never change it and the club, team, Manager and Board will just have to accept it.

Sometimes fans may be right in their assesment of a situation but life is never easy and it's one thing saying something and another doing it.

Within reason (i.e. except corrupt Directors), whatever happens, our fans should support the team and not get on their backs. It's a very fine dividing line between success and failure and had Hendo not slipped at Bmuff and El Abd and Cox put their chances away on Sat then we would all be thinking how good 4 points out of 6 was...

Come on you Seagulls
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here