Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why are albion unable to take the final step and ever get promotion to the PL ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Bolton away, equaliser conceded 94min
Reading away, equaliser conceded 78min
Derby away, equaliser conceded 88min
QPR away, equaliser conceded 88min
Burnley home, equaliser conceded 95min

If we hadn't been in so many winning positions late in games I think I would agree wholeheartedly that we lacked goals. But we did lead in many games, and we conceded late in too many. A ruthless side like Burnley for example held leads, and score late themselves. You look at the respective results and they were only winning by the odd goal, but they held on for those wins.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You said we lacked a 'good championship striker'.

Hemed was amongst the top scorers in the league, for the season, and top scorer of all in 2016. So quite clearly a 'good championship striker'.

You blame a lack of goals for our failure, when we were the top scorers in the league. If it were just our goal tally that hurt us, then by extension NOBODY should have been promoted. How does that work?

FFS, you are an idiot.

We play 4-4-2. We lack a good championship striker even if we have one of them!

Please show me where I bemoaned a lack of goals. Again, you display your stupidity.

Anyway, 3 more goals could have got us promoted automatically. Although, obviously, 3 less goals conceded would also have done the trick. It seems the club's leadership wanted a striker, but I am sure you are 100% correct, and they, I, and others on here are all wrong...

... NOT!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
FFS, you are an idiot.

Please show me where I bemoaned a lack of goals. Again, you display your stupidity.

Anyway, 3 more goals could have got us promoted automatically. Although, obviously, 3 less goals conceded would also have done the trick. It seems the club's leadership wanted a striker, but I am sure you are 100% correct, and they, I, and others on here are all wrong...

... NOT!
1 more goal would have done it ( In either game v Middlesbrough, any of our draws, or in our defeats v Ipswich or Wolves ).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
FFS, you are an idiot.

... NOT!

Using a second account to back up your feeble argument is quite sad, isn't it?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Using a second account to back up your feeble argument is quite sad, isn't it?

It's me, but from my smartphone, so not sad at all... as usual, you make the wrong assumption...

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Why would you do that? Is it for when one gets banned?

Why does he have to justify to you why he does that?... It's his choice.

Wind it in a little bit fella. It seems you get a little 'drunk with power' due to your mod status..

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why does he have to justify to you why he does that?... It's his choice.

Wind it in a little bit fella. It seems you get a little 'drunk with power' due to your mod status..

Ha, as if. I've never banned anyone, bar visiting trolls and spammers. Certainly not just for being wrong, or for throwing (reasonably polite) abuse my way.

In fairness, whilst I do enjoy the occasional argument for the sake of it, I actually AGREED 100% with the January suggestions that we sign a striker, and was desperately hoping for Murray who I rate very highly indeed. We were short, and had Hemed (as well as Zamora) been out for a long period we would have been badly affected. He wasn't though, and we weren't, so whilst in that respect we may have got away with it, the 'failure' to sign one was NOT the cause of our narrow miss. We scored enough. We conceded a couple of crucial equalisers too many.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
FFS, you are an idiot.

... NOT!

Blimey, talk about a slight overreaction. Many people on here are pretty certain we've had 4 Championship quality strikers this season.

The club's management and leadership wanted to get another striker in because we had an injury crisis (if you remember). Baldock, Wilson, and Zamora were all crocked, then Hemed too. I seem to remember Hughton wanting to get another striker in to vary his options on what he had available, not because what he had available wasn't good enough.

And it would have been 2 more goals scored or 2 less conceded given we've scored more than M'Boro. In fact had we only lost 2-0 to them at home, rather than 3, that would have done it too. Again pointing to our keeping the goals out rather than scoring being the undoing.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lack of quality (athleticism, skills, football intelligence) in certain positions, not inferior to Burnley but no better either. Counts most when playing the better teams.

Pace, clinical finishing, maybe be below what is needed.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
We need two new strikers. They need to be better than the current two if we want to go up automatically. We need strikers who can win games against the top teams. I know that the club recognised the need for a striker in Jan and tried desperately to get one (not just Murray). They know it, we know it. Three scenarios 1) unearth a couple of gems from the Albanian 2nd division. We've a great scouting network, so it's possible if likely (certainly getting two would be pushing it) 2) push the boat out. There must come a point when spending £12m (insert figure of choice) looks preferable to losing the same sum every year 3) carry on as we are, regularly making the play offs and trusting that one year it'll be our year.

We are a top championship club and have been for a few years (barring a hiccup). It's not my decision how we move from that to a Premiership club but I think you need to do something otherwise you move from Premiership ready to Championship stalwarts at some point.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just bad luck when we have been in form..
As has been stated..
Twatty poyet with his negative tactics amongst a million other things on the big day.
Marvellous Houghton was just plane unlucky in many aspects..
Playing with ten against Derby and a win might of sent us up
Having to play at boro with ten men and losing a key player for the playoffs which could have sent us up.
Having 4 injuries at Wednesday and playing 35 mins with ten men
Ripping Wednesday apart with 5 key players missing last night,but the ball only hit the net once unreal.Great defending and a bit of luck though.

You couldn't make it up,but what's to be is what's to be and we will get there I'm sure :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A ruthless side like Burnley for example held leads, and score late themselves. You look at the respective results and they were only winning by the odd goal, but they held on for those wins.

We held on to win by the odd goal 18 times this season.
We scored v.late to win at Fulham, Leeds, Charlton, Forest and Bristol City (H).
Given we had a equal record to Boro and a similar one to Burnley its hard work to say they (Boro, Burnley) went up because of this and we didn't.
Winning by one goal, scoring late and conceding equalisers especially. Burnley drew 15 times.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Discipline
Arguably cost us more than not scoring goals this season. Dunk's red in particular hit us hard.
Brighton 80Y 4R
M'Boro 60Y 3R
Burnley 56Y 1R (should have been 2!!)

Holding On To A Lead
We had leads in enough games with 5 mins to go to have won the title comfortably. You obviously can't hold on to every winning position, but we dropped too many points in the dying moments of games.

Too many seem fixated on the strikers. We'll need new strikers if BZ retires and Wilson goes back, but Hemed and Baldock have contributed enough to have seen us promoted. I also don't buy that the club or Hughton don't think they are good enough. January was about plugging our injury crisis and bringing someone different in. I think Hemed and Baldock will stay and I expect them to be starting again next season, and they'll be even better than this year.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We held on to win by the odd goal 18 times this season.
We scored v.late to win at Fulham, Leeds, Charlton, Forest and Bristol City (H).
Given we had a equal record to Boro and a similar one to Burnley its hard work to say they (Boro, Burnley) went up because of this and we didn't.
Winning by one goal, scoring late and conceding equalisers especially. Burnley drew 15 times.

But those are the fine margins Chailey. We drew 2 games that Burnley went onto win. Burnley and Boro both won 2 more games than us. You expect top sides to nick wins late because they are putting the pressure on, they are competing at the top for a reason, and if they are not winning, they are going all out to do so. Likewise once they have a lead, it is expected more often than not they keep it. Rather than the many suggestions being we didn't go up because we lacked top quality strikers, I think it is reasonable to suggest that holding out in just 1 of those 5 or 6 games we conceded very late in would have seen us promoted is a reasonable argument.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We start every season at a disadvantage behind those teams with parachute payments and those willing to cheat the FFP rules. We now know that Leicester cheated and that Bournemouth cheated. With £25-30 million spent on transfers this year, it wouldn't be surprising to find out that 'Boro or Derby have done the same. Burnley and Hull were able to keep Premier League squads because of parachute payments. We have to cut our cloth.

By competing toe to toe this year we have over achieved. Despite this, I firmly believe that had we avoided the excessive injury problems we would have won the league. With a stable management team, most of this squad, similar astute additions and slightly better fortune next year, we could be the team to beat in 16/17.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But those are the fine margins Chailey. .

Yep.But over 46 games its makes it virtually impossible to pinpoint it being this or that as it really was so fine.

What if Bobby hadn't chipped that ball so perfectly in the last minute v Leeds. What if Hemed's header had been kept out v Charlton in the 86th minute ?.
What if MK Dons had scored that penalty. What if Michael Keane's header had missed or Barton had been sent off ? What if it was Dunk who'd been in the back four v Sheff Weds last Friday ?

One goal here or there , one ref decision here or there really would have made all the difference . If we'd then been promoted as a result would you still describe Burnley as "ruthless" or others be able to say it was Rhodes/ Grey who did it for them . When it could have easily been a different story. The promotion recipe could easily have been hiring a Championship proven manager like Hughton or doing smart January winger business in bringing wingers like Skalak and Knockeart to the Champ for sensible money and paying £1m for 17 goal a season strikers.
But it didn't and we're not. But it nearly was. Very nearly was.

Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here