Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Who's the flairest of them all? Round 2, Face off 6- Gotsmanov vs Jahanbaksh

Who's the flairest of them all?

• Gotsmanov

Votes: 52 78.8%
  • Jahanbaksh

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Same again, 48 hours to vote, winner goes through

Sergei Gotsmanov

Nationality: Soviet/Belarussian

Albion Career: 1990 (16 appearances, 4 goals)

Credentials: Outrageously exotic signing for the time. Enigmatic skill wizard and was once given a Lada car. In many ways paved the way for a lot of the others in this tournament

1711011640745.png

Progress: Finished 2nd in Group B, gaining 13 votes (13%)

vs

Alireza Jahanbaksh

Nationality: Iranian

Albion Career: 2018-21 (50 appearances, 2 goals)

Credentials: His signing was one of the greatest ever Albion transfer sagas. Devilishly handsome. Did very little other than scoring one of the greatest Albion goals of all time.

1711356440694.png

Progress: Finished 3rd in Group C, gaining 11 votes (11.1%)

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
absolutely gutted that I missed out on seeing Gotsmanov by a matter of years. Unfortunately, as great as he sounds, I just can't vote for him having never seen him, over Ali J who I enjoyed on a frequent basis

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
God this is a tough one.

The sheer exoticness of having a USSR international playing for us mere months after the fall of the Berlin wall was amazing. Even for 9 or 10 year old me. And he was fabulous for us before disappearing into the ether.

Then there was Ali J, the magnificently handsome Iranian messi with an army of fanboys, a multi year transfer saga and a tremendous ability to flatter to deceive. Apart from this moment:

But then Gotzmanov did this:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Overhead kick aside, Alireza was one of the least FLAIR wingers, the Albion have ever had. Literally ran in dead straight lines, and put in the exact same high-percentage low cross, every time he got the ball.

Sergei for me.
Whilst I have voted Gotsmanov, I think Alireza (flair name) was flair for other reasons.

- our first ever Iranian - that is definitely flair
- the transfer SAGA involving private planes being tracked
- his surname
- the excitement his signing caused, seeing him playing at the World Cup knowing he was our player
- he was a pretty big waste of talent
- INCREDIBLY handsome

For all those reasons I think he is at least medium on the flair-o-meter. You’re right in terms of his playing style - least flair thing about him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I have voted Gotsmanov, I think Alireza (flair name) was flair for other reasons.

- our first ever Iranian - that is definitely flair
- the transfer SAGA involving private planes being tracked
- his surname
- the excitement his signing caused, seeing him playing at the World Cup knowing he was our player
- he was a pretty big waste of talent
- INCREDIBLY handsome

For all those reasons I think he is at least medium on the flair-o-meter. You’re right in terms of his playing style - least flair thing about him.
Fair points.

I also liked that he CRIED when he finally scored a goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here